Putting seems to have clicked!

Dr.Deuss

Reaction score
Handicap
By no means have I magically gotten better at putting, but over the last week I've keyed in on something that's really working for me. As well as getting my setup better aligned and more comfortable, I've started "tracing" the ball's to the hole. For quite a while previously, I was trying to go by Dave Stockton's tips, and not take practice strokes at the ball. That was working for a bit, but I was having a lot of issues with pace. Now I take a practice stroke, looking at the ball, and trace my eyes from the ball along the path to the hole. 1-2 strokes to get the feel right in my hands, then step up and keep focusing on the spot just in front of the ball.

Now this is nothing new, I'm also fond of looking at the hole while taking your practice strokes. But for me, picturing the entire path of the ball is working great for me. Yesterday I had 31 putts. Got fooled by the fast greens (we rolled them at 12.5 just before) on the second hole for a three putt, and then one other three putt on 18 from 70ft in the dark. That one didn't bother me given the situation. The biggest difference it's making for me is having the confidence to make 6-8 footers for par when it counts. Especially when I get a bit feisty on the first putt. Lag putts yesterday were much better. Two putted from 40+ ft five times.

Adjusting the pace of my putts is something I'm still working hard on, and this mental picture is really helping my brain and body find the right speed. Anybody else use this method, or what helps you figure out the greens?

Great to hear, awesome when something clicks!

If that works for you, awesome. Not sure I completely understand what you were trying to illustrate though... haha.

I make a few practice strokes while looking at the hole, as you mentioned. I just started this recently and before then I would take no practice strokes. It's been working fairly decently for me as I get better at it. We'll see how it goes. My goal is max 30 putts per round.

Sorry, my last post got a bit wandering. I take my practice stroke, and picture the ball's entire path, at the pace I want. Sort of like Putt Preview on Tiger Woods. Just furthering visualization of a shot. The more precise and clear the mental picture, the more likely it is to happen.

See, feel, trust. This method makes a lot of sense. I've been trying to start visualizing my shots, especially my putts, better.

That's the one! See it, Feel it, Trust it. It's really helping me for all parts of my game, especially short game shots. Picturing the ENTIRE shot is the biggest part of it.

Yes, that's right, and that line from 7 Days is very true to golf.

good to hear DR.... i need something to click for me over the winter with my putting.. i also have been using dave stocktons putting method maybe ill work on taking a practice stroke again and see if it helps me for a little bit this winter.

Great work Dr. D! Confidence is a wonderful thing. Keep up the very good work. :)

I to visualize the entire line of the putt.

Nice to hear something that works. for me i find a line look at the hole and go. im tring to change my whole approch to putting during the winter especialy pace and i have found that having a really light grip pressure is keeping me from hammering the putt. might be something that could help you with your pace. I also changed my putting grip. 30 putts a round would be great good luck.

Always nice to see a change for the better on the greens. I've been messing around with my setup and finally found something that works for me and its making me actually aim for the greens again lol

Fantastic that you are happier with putting. It is such a personal thing that once you find your 'best' method it is wise to stick with it.

Don't get hung up on how many putts per round though. Just remember that if you have fewer putts but are not in the very low 70s you are missing a lot of greens and are chipping close. The important stat is the putts per GIR. If you can keep that below 2 then things are good.

If I could hit 18 GIR I would take 36 putts any day of the week.

Totally agree with you there! More important to me is avoiding 3-putts, and need to get my GIR's up. On the round in question I only hit 7/18. Now that I'm feeling better on my putting, I need to get to 12 -14 GIR's. I'll try keeping more track of putts per GIR.

Back