UglySwing

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
I didn't know where to post this. It's for my putting stroke not my golf swing...

I don't have a video, but I think it's a common problem that you might be able to understand simply by description (I hope):

On my front stroke/follow through, my left arm/elbow tucks back a long my side, rather than going across my body.

I've noticed that the last few months, but can't stop doing it. I don't necessarily even know if that's incorrect. I suspect it is.

Today while on the practice green one of the instructors walked by me and said 'you're pulling your left shoulder back on the follow through'.

How do I stop doing that?
What are some good drills to make sure my shoulders stay parallel/working together?

so you're taking the putter too far inside?

so you're taking the putter too far inside?
I don't think so...
I'm unsure if you are telling me that's what causes my problem, or if you're confused by my poor explanation.

It seems like when I do my putting stroke I'm not swinging my arms across my chest in sync...

Rather than my arms staying parallel with one another, my right arm swings across my chest, but instead of my left arm swinging across my chest, it tucks back and in, along my rib cage.

FF to the 8:00 mark to see what I'm doing with my left arm.

He actually advocates doing it. I'd prefer to learn the proper way of doing it though.

Place a direction stick under your arms and across your chest. Then rock your shoulder back and through. This will get you from pulling the left shoulder

Place a direction stick under your arms and across your chest. Then rock your shoulder back and through. This will get you from pulling the left shoulder
Thank you so much!
That sounds like a great drill.

Out of curiosity, is that a common mistake?

Thank you so much!
That sounds like a great drill.

Out of curiosity, is that a common mistake?

Bad putting strokes are common this is just one mistake

I practiced putting like that, and it felt much more consistent.

When I don't have the alignment rod under my pits/across my chest, is there a 'feel' I can look for to make sure I'm doing it properly?

With the alignment rod being used, it feels like my right shoulder drops down while my left one goes up. Like I'm hitting up on the ball a bit more.

Martin Hall had a catchy phrase I try to recall each time I putt:

"Left shoulder up, ball in the cup."

I practiced putting like that, and it felt much more consistent.

When I don't have the alignment rod under my pits/across my chest, is there a 'feel' I can look for to make sure I'm doing it properly?

With the alignment rod being used, it feels like my right shoulder drops down while my left one goes up. Like I'm hitting up on the ball a bit more.

Just keep practicing like this and it will become habit.

Back