Putting style / grip effectiveness?

jpgolf

“JP”
Reaction score
Handicap
For many of us putting is a never ending struggle to improve. We try things on the practice green that work for a while... maybe even a few rounds. And then we find ourselves searching again. What have you found that has had a lasting impact..?

I've always used a traditional grip and stance. The claw grip would likely be the only one I'd ever try to change into but it feels pretty unnatural to me.

I recently switched to claw grip. Being a righty that golfs lefty and giving full control to my lead-right arm in putting has done wonders for me so far.

I've tried claw, left hand low, belly putter, heads-up, and a couple different variations of a standard grip. I always come back to what works best for me - standard grip with both index fingers extended vertically down the grip, and making the stroke by rocking the shoulders and keeping the wrists as still as possible.

I used to play with an 8802 and was a very good putter, but got the yips one season. I went for lessons and converted to a Ping Sigma with a pencil grip and have since got back to my good putting. I love the feel and confidence now, even more than before.

I was never a particularly good putter, not horrible, but not really good either. The grip on my old Ping Anser was the original and hard as a rock. I decided to replace it and while I was at it, get it lengthened. I saw how popular SuperStroke grips were on tour so I wanted to try one. The shop I was at was out of SuperStrokes but they had the Lamkin Sink Fit and it was $10 cheaper. Overnight, my putting improved. No change to the way I held the club, or anything else except that the longer club let me stand up straighter which helped my back. Now, if I could read the breaks better, I’d never miss.

Back