Putting with your pointer finger down the shaft?

Do you putt with your pointer finger down the shaft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
are you putting better without it now?
Most certainly. I feel like putting is one of the strongest parts of my game now. Arccos golf confirms it too. The finger is really the only thing I changed in my grip over the years. Of course getting a putter fitted to me helped to, but it was when I was getting fitted that it was pointed out to me about my finger down the shaft.

So I'm to believe the finger down the shaft provides so much tension that the natural backswing of the putter is resisted? When in reality most people probably take the putter back too far anyways?

I dunno - amateurs aren't the same as pro's so I sort of discount the "pro's don't do it" so it must be wrong. Pros spend more time lining up putts in one round than amateurs do in a summer full of rounds.

I find it odd that people say they feel like the finger down the shaft provides control or stability or both. But because of the tension it has to be wrong... yet control & stability are good things? :confused2:

For me its a stability lever I suppose. I am not sure why, I just always have had the finger down the shaft. Weird

I would cast a vote for both if the option was there. Short, 3ft. and under, I do. Anything longer and I wrap my fingers around the grip. Kinda odd but it works for me.🤪

Also, putting the finger down the shaft feels natural, so it must be wrong. Rule number 1 in golf - anything natural feeling is a swing flaw. 🤪🤪🤪🤪

I had both pointer fingers down the shaft, tough to break that grip, and it’s no good either, but now I’ve got some other weird azz grip going and I can’t show a picture of it because it’s beyond hideous and something you’ve never seen I’m positive of that.

"Arnie" gave his putter a finger later on in his career.

I tried it for a minute but went back to my usual grip and my putting improved greatly.

I do a prayer grip with both fingers down. Next time out I’ll try no fingers down and see how it feels. It surely can’t hurt my putting.

I've done it for years, but experimented with not doing it this year a bit. I haven't yet noticed a difference in tension or scoring, one way or the other.

I know I’m not supposed to do it but I do.

I’m getting a putting mat for Christmas so I may be able to break myself of the habit this year.

No i do not i’ve read that bad things can happen

There was a thread on this earlier this year with that same video posted earlier in the thread. I had been a good putter and used a grip with the right index finger down the grip. Basically the same hand position as Brooks Koepka.

Well I let that thread get to me and I stopped doing it and my putting went straight into the dumper for the rest of the summer. Finally switched back to the finger down the grip a few weeks ago when I got to play a few rounds in Arizona and it’s crazy how much better I was at making center contact and hitting my lines with confidence.

Have done a lot of experimenting on the putting mat in the basement since I got back from Arizona and for whatever reason, the finger down the grip just blows the other options out of the water for me. I’ve learned my lesson that just because it’s not what most the pros do, doesn’t mean it won’t be better for your game.

As my dad has always said “it’s not how...it’s how many”. Who cares if it doesn’t look like the pros or causes “tension”? If it gets the ball in the hole in less strokes than another method, the hell with the “tension” haha

I do, and thought I was the only one. I've never observed anyone else doing it.

I stopped a few months ago and my putting has improved. Same grip but I wrap the finger loosely around the shaft.

I do this all the time and I always question if I *Should* be doing it.

I've felt like I putted better when I started doing it, but it's entirely possible that it's not necessary any longer.

I putt with both index fingers pointing down the shaft. I've putted that way for many years, have tried other grips but none of them felt or worked as well for me. I average 32 putts per round, so not great but not terrible.

I use right finger pointing down. Makes me feel finger is pointing at alignment mark and line of travel as I make the stroke. Tried it with finger wrapped and tend to twist my wrist so club is either open or close at ball contact.

........... it causes unnecessary tension and that most pro's do not use their pointer fingers on the shaft when putting.
The idea of introducing tension applies to the index/pointing finger in the reverse overlap grip as well.

My putting this last year was HORRENDOUS, so I am currently trying to overhaul some things. Until this year I have putted with it down the shaft, but am trying to break it. I had the issue of not releasing the toe of the putter and pushing putts. May be mental, but it feels much more natural to release the putter with a more conventional grip. Very well could just be a mental thing as well 🤷‍♂️

I stopped a few months ago and my putting has improved. Same grip but I wrap the finger loosely around the shaft.

Did it take a while to get used to the change and did anyone and a ECPC mention your grip last year?

Back