Putting - Zero Line a/k/a Fall Line - How many look for it?

KellyBo

Golf, Have Fun or Quit!
Reaction score
My biggest weakness is putting. I've taken putting lessons before and my stroke is decent but I struggle reading greens. I remember my instructor talking to me about the zero line that Aimpoint teaches but I figured I would need to take the class to really understand it. Since that's not happening, I've gone about researching putting tips and have found that knowing where this line is on the green is a huge help to getting the read correct.

After studying some information online, I went out and sunk a 10' putt for birdie on the first hole and shot a 79 for a PB since joining our new course last fall. Putting has been really holding me back. I'm still trying to figure out how to find this line on a lot of our greens but am really excited that I have found this tidbit of information.

I watched several videos by Geoff Mangum that really helped. Here's the first of many. I can't bring myself to watch him for long though.

Here's a simpler read:

http://www.golfinred.com/how-to-putt-better-putting-tips/

fallline.png

A more complicated read:

http://www.puttingzone.com/vector.html

So my question is do you look for the fall line when putting? I know I have a ton of practice to do to figure this out on our fast greens but at last I have something that has given me a glimmer of hope that my putting can and will improve with work.

I usually read the putt from the hole out. Read up the faill line then read the speed and line to get the put to fall down the fall line.

I do now. I used not really understand how it all worked. But me and JSkittle went out to play a practice round for a tournament and he really helped me understand high and low points, fall lines and how putts really roll. Its made a huge difference is how I read greens and when I'm really locked in I feel like I can see the green in 3D. I find that for me finding the fall line is easier when I find the high and low points around the green. Most greens have, in my findings, 3-4 fall lines feeding into one large fall line at the front of the green. While this isn't always true I find it on most greens. I find that finding the high and low points helps me find the fall faster. Keep in mind though that you have to find low point that lines up with the high point you are looking at. With a little practice you will be able to find them very quickly.

If I get a chance I'll post my green book from that tournament. It won't make a lot of sense to anyone but probably me and Justin but its an interesting thing to look at.

All I can say about putting is, on my home course greens, breaks are easy to see. The greens are heavily sloped, and very slow to putt on. But get me on a 'normal' course with 'normal' greens, and I have a hard time reading breaks.

~Rock

All I can say about putting is, on my home course greens, breaks are easy to see. The greens are heavily sloped, and very slow to putt on. But get me on a 'normal' course with 'normal' greens, and I have a hard time reading breaks.

~Rock

Yes! We are going through this very thing. We were playing slow bermuda greens and then moved to a course with fast bent greens. What a difference it makes when you can ram everything at the hole versus using soft touch!

I have a different take then most, but learned from someone I trust and teaches for a living. First look is an overview of the contour of the green between my ball and the hole. Then I read the first 18 inches of my putt only. From there, I start at the hole and work back to the ball.

I trust my alignment (RST) and pull the trigger.

I don't have the same method as JB, but it is similar in that I tend to work backwards from the hole and (try to) find the point to where I need to get the ball. For me, it all boils down to lots of practice, and although I have seen an improvement in my putting I do still tend to get it wrong when there are subtle breaks that I don't see for whatever reason

The bigger the break and/or the further from the hole I am, my aim is usually to try and get the ball within a certain radius which seems to work fairly well and has reduced the number of 3 putts I take

I do tend to putt better on faster greens for some reason, although that could be subconsciously swayed by the round I had on Sunday when the greens were seriously slow and I could not get the pace at all

Lots of great info coming in here, nice topic. I guess I sort of wing it by feel after seeing the contour, but will try and approach it a little differently now to see what works.

So my question is do you look for the fall line when putting? I know I have a ton of practice to do to figure this out on our fast greens but at last I have something that has given me a glimmer of hope that my putting can and will improve with work.

I took a vector putting course and learned a way to find the ZBL. Will take some practice to get good at finding it though. I first look at the hole and try to find the high point on the actual hole. Then I walk around and use my feet to confirm the ZBL and slope of the green. I need to get a digital level the shows slope percent to practice and better at sensing the slopes of a green. When I took the class I learned that I was misreading some breaks and this method seems to have helped. Only been using the vector putting approach for about 3 weeks so it is still not a natural thing.

My biggest weakness is putting. I've taken putting lessons before and my stroke is decent but I struggle reading greens. I remember my instructor talking to me about the zero line that Aimpoint teaches but I figured I would need to take the class to really understand it. Since that's not happening, I've gone about researching putting tips and have found that knowing where this line is on the green is a huge help to getting the read correct.

AimPoint has you walk the length of your putt to see how long it is. Then you walk to the middle of the putt, find with your feet where the slope would be a straight uphill putt without walking in your line as best you can. Where's your ball in relation to your stance? How steep was the grade (they teach you) then you go to your book, figure out what the numbers wind up being, then line up that break and putt. Sounds difficult and tedious but it really doesn't take more than about a minute once you get the hang of it.

Great stuff, KB! I love seeing people work extra hard at their game. I've never took the time to think about how I read putts. My biggest tip is trust my first read and putt to a spot. I feel like all of my misses come from second guessing myself. Monroe CC is one of the toughest courses to putt on that I've ever played, so once you start to get those things figured out, everywhere else will be a breeze!

For me, it's all about reading the putt with my binocular vision, picking out an intermediate target and using momentum to roll the ball over that target.

Personally, I think the more analysis you put into your putting, the more you hurt yourself. But, everyone is different, so whatever works for you.

AimPoint has you walk the length of your putt to see how long it is. Then you walk to the middle of the putt, find with your feet where the slope would be a straight uphill putt without walking in your line as best you can. Where's your ball in relation to your stance? How steep was the grade (they teach you) then you go to your book, figure out what the numbers wind up being, then line up that break and putt. Sounds difficult and tedious but it really doesn't take more than about a minute once you get the hang of it.

Its absolutely awful playing with someone that does this when you play at my pace. I did a few weeks back and a "minute" is being kind.

Its absolutely awful playing with someone that does this when you play at my pace. I did a few weeks back and a "minute" is being kind.

I'm sure it works for some people, but when you have to pull out a card and pay $250 for a group lesson to learn the system, it raises red flags for me.

I'm sure it works for some people, but when you have to pull out a card and pay $250 for a group lesson to learn the system, it raises red flags for me.

I would take the class if I was trying to go pro or was a pro. I would feel ridiculous trying to do all that with my playing groups. I do like learning about the concepts and fall line. It's given me a little more advantage when out there but I don't want to be the slow one in the group.

A lot of it you can figure out in just a few seconds, and really should be doing it while your playing partner is coming onto the green or if they're putting. Distance to the hole you can get good enough to eye unless they're longer. Then it's just figure the read and line it up. Usually by the time you putt, I'm almost done. That's of course, if you're putting first haha

A lot of it you can figure out in just a few seconds, and really should be doing it while your playing partner is coming onto the green or if they're putting. Distance to the hole you can get good enough to eye unless they're longer. Then it's just figure the read and line it up. Usually by the time you putt, I'm almost done. That's of course, if you're putting first haha

Thats just it, if you are first to putt on the green, your playing partners might as well go get a sandwich, pee in the woods, go see a movie or anything to kill time, because its freaking awful. It does not take 30 seconds to read a putt. if it does, you are over thinking it. And a full minute? Kill me. Slow golf is the effin plague.

I have 5 weeks to learn this!

#crunchtime

Thats just it, if you are first to putt on the green, your playing partners might as well go get a sandwich, pee in the woods, go see a movie or anything to kill time, because its freaking awful. It does not take 30 seconds to read a putt. if it does, you are over thinking it. And a full minute? Kill me. Slow golf is the effin plague.

Can't stand people who think they longer they stare at a putt the better read they are getting. Some people think I don't read greens because I take nearly no time to lineup my putt once I'm on the clock.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Have I ever held you up? Maybe a minute is a bit off on the guess. I don't think it takes any time at all since the hardest thing is factoring the slope, and even then they teach you that if you're absolutely clueless, assume a 2% slope.

Next time I play, I'll time from the time I mark my ball, to right before I take it back.

The time to do a vector or aim point read is no longer than it takes for most people to read a putt. When I am coming up to the green, i walk off the length, look at the hole to find the ZBL, stand behind the ball to determine slope, pull the chart and get my break. I think it is 15 or 20 seconds tops.

Have I ever held you up? Maybe a minute is a bit off on the guess. I don't think it takes any time at all since the hardest thing is factoring the slope, and even then they teach you that if you're absolutely clueless, assume a 2% slope.

Next time I play, I'll time from the time I mark my ball, to right before I take it back.

Have you ever held me up? Yes, but usually due to your stride with those tiny legs of yours. To answer your question, you are one of the quicker I have seen that uses the system. However I dont think you use it entirely when we play on your longer parts.

Thank you KB for posting this! Many of struggle with our putting. I've known for years it is the biggest thing keeping me from lower scores and of course a lower index.

I do look for the high point of the cup when I read greens and it no doubt helps to know this, as shown as the "fall line". I know if you watch a lot of golf on TV, Johnnie Miller often talks about the fall line as does Gary Kock.

Good info!!!

Have you ever held me up? Yes, but usually due to your stride with those tiny legs of yours. To answer your question, you are one of the quicker I have seen that uses the system. However I dont think you use it entirely when we play on your longer parts.

Short little legs take time to get churning. For me personally, I don't see a real need to use it on anything outside of 20ft. The max read is 20, and after that you have to start combining reads. That part isn't a problem to do, but the bigger concern for me at that point is just get the darn thing within 3ft. A quick skim can figure out ehh aim there, don't kill it.

In a foursome though when I have the appropriate time, I'll read it more till I see the person before me hitting the ball. Then I scamper back haha.

Can someone explain finding the zero line? What is the zero line and how to find it?

Back