PUTTR - PELOTON FOR PUTTING?

The Indoor Golf Shop

golfinnut

PENGUINS SUCK!
Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
I didn't know if I should put this here or in the "Flatstick Talk" thread ..... so MODS please move to where you see fit.

Would you pay $599 for a putting mat? Well, Matt Allard, a new entrepreneur, is hoping so. It's called PUTTR.

He is trying to tackle three main problems with putting mats ... One, they’re too rough or the surface is too slow or too small to resemble putting on a real green. Two, they take up too much space and are difficult to store. Three, they’re not much fun.

It is 12 foot long X 2 foot wide putting mat that runs an 11 - 12 on the Stimp meter. It has the ability to track stats (not the real stats you're hoping for), more like how many putts made, from various distances, etc. The mat has sensors & a camera that has the ability to connect via Bluetooth app, to play games with your friends, very similar to the way Peloton bikers do. The ramp to the hole also tilts, so you have the ability to putt left to right & right to left putts. Trying to "gamify" the putting mat seems to be a decent idea.

He also wanted to make it portable & easy to store. You can roll it up like a yoga mat & store it in a transportable box.

I know I get bored using my putting mat for sure. But I'm not sure $600 would solve that boredom. Nor would I use it enough to justify the cost. I'll be interested to see how many he sells. But judging by the pre-sales already, things are looking good.

So THP'ers .... would you drop $600 for a putting mat?

templeton80

Artist formerly known as nvgolfer80
Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I think it sounds fun. I like the idea.

Cruskater

Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
7 to 17
I have to say the quality of turf can be an issue on some of these mats. I applaud the company for trying to tackle the virtual putting market at a more affordable price point. Do I want to see virtual break lines and such? Of course, for $$$$, probably not. Maybe if metrics were included such as face open/closed in backswing and follow through I would be interested. Generally not interested in the "Peloton" features, however. I tend to work on my game for myself. Occasionally (like once a year) I might face off against the missus in a competition.

Daluteh

2021 Budget Experience
Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
I can't say that I would, no. I don't know if that would be the best use of my golf funds. I think it would be fun to try out with a group, like if a club had one and it was used during winter maybe I could see putting on that after playing the rest of the round on a sim but by itself not really.

Can it simulate holes on courses to be used in conjunction with another device?

mmaynard11

#TheRivalry w/ UST Mamiya- Team JDaX
Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Interesting concept & adds an extra dimension to putting practice. Not in the market for me though.

Gman79

Optimistic about golf in 2022!!!
Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'll enjoy my putting mat and mind games... Cool concept

jfrigo1003

Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
interesting concept but just doesnt seem worth it to me. I have no desire to compete against others in the games. As for the "tech" to measure makes, misses, and speed to the cup just doesnt seem valuable in my opinion

My BirdieBall mat is amazing and I use it all the time. No automatic ball return but thats fine with me. I actually like walking to the other end so I have a different looking putt coming back technically

Desmond

Play Golf, Laugh, Smile, Enjoy
Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I didn't know if I should put this here or in the "Flatstick Talk" thread ..... so MODS please move to where you see fit.

Would you pay $599 for a putting mat? Well, Matt Allard, a new entrepreneur, is hoping so. It's called PUTTR.

He is trying to tackle three main problems with putting mats ... One, they’re too rough or the surface is too slow or too small to resemble putting on a real green. Two, they take up too much space and are difficult to store. Three, they’re not much fun.

It is 12 foot long X 2 foot wide putting mat that runs an 11 - 12 on the Stimp meter. It has the ability to track stats (not the real stats you're hoping for), more like how many putts made, from various distances, etc. The mat has sensors & a camera that has the ability to connect via Bluetooth app, to play games with your friends, very similar to the way Peloton bikers do. The ramp to the hole also tilts, so you have the ability to putt left to right & right to left putts. Trying to "gamify" the putting mat seems to be a decent idea.

He also wanted to make it portable & easy to store. You can roll it up like a yoga mat & store it in a transportable box.

I know I get bored using my putting mat for sure. But I'm not sure $600 would solve that boredom. Nor would I use it enough to justify the cost. I'll be interested to see how many he sells. But judging by the pre-sales already, things are looking good.

So THP'ers .... would you drop $600 for a putting mat?
Golfers are sick people. We will buy it.:ROFLMAO:

But the Made in China is disappointing. Tough to avoid, but needs to change for many products eventually.

Last edited:

Puttmaster

Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 9.1

Scorpion12

B + <-- Be Positive. UP! Not down. Nice not mean.
Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Outside of my budget unfortunately. It sounds like a cool idea though.

Jmk202

Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
~10
Interesting, but probably not for me. Maybe in a market where you can't play outside year round this would be more likely to take off. Im not sure. To me the golfing social networking thing (outside of THP) is a bit un-tapped. GRINT does an interesting job of trying to link people mid round but I don't use it anymore because I doesn't do that stats I like.

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2022 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
interesting but I'm pretty good with my truline green.

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
I like the idea of it, but at that price point, I'd probably look at something that would include putting along with full swing

Desmond

Play Golf, Laugh, Smile, Enjoy
Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I saw a larger putting surface that takes up a whole room and you can vary the break - only $14k. :oops:

$599? And you can put it away? Sounds like a deal. Although if he goes to $499. the price of a driver, I think he will get more takers.

Muchmore18

2021 Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The only thing that would worry me about it is if it's able to be folded/rolled up, I'd be worried about having it be able to get to perfectly flat quickly. Or else you never know if the line is true or not.

Seems like a great idea that I would be able to get behind though

hackitup

Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I’d have a hard time putting that much money down for what I view as an electric scorekeeper attached to a putting mat. My carpet and Perfect Putt are enough to keep me content. I suspect I’m not the targeted demographic for that mat, though since I’d rather practice in private.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in