PUTTR - PELOTON FOR PUTTING?

golfinnut

DANNY LE! WHAT A GUY!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
I didn't know if I should put this here or in the "Flatstick Talk" thread ..... so MODS please move to where you see fit.

Would you pay $599 for a putting mat? Well, Matt Allard, a new entrepreneur, is hoping so. It's called PUTTR.

He is trying to tackle three main problems with putting mats ... One, they’re too rough or the surface is too slow or too small to resemble putting on a real green. Two, they take up too much space and are difficult to store. Three, they’re not much fun.

It is 12 foot long X 2 foot wide putting mat that runs an 11 - 12 on the Stimp meter. It has the ability to track stats (not the real stats you're hoping for), more like how many putts made, from various distances, etc. The mat has sensors & a camera that has the ability to connect via Bluetooth app, to play games with your friends, very similar to the way Peloton bikers do. The ramp to the hole also tilts, so you have the ability to putt left to right & right to left putts. Trying to "gamify" the putting mat seems to be a decent idea.

He also wanted to make it portable & easy to store. You can roll it up like a yoga mat & store it in a transportable box.

I know I get bored using my putting mat for sure. But I'm not sure $600 would solve that boredom. Nor would I use it enough to justify the cost. I'll be interested to see how many he sells. But judging by the pre-sales already, things are looking good.

So THP'ers .... would you drop $600 for a putting mat?

I think it sounds fun. I like the idea.

I have to say the quality of turf can be an issue on some of these mats. I applaud the company for trying to tackle the virtual putting market at a more affordable price point. Do I want to see virtual break lines and such? Of course, for $$$$, probably not. Maybe if metrics were included such as face open/closed in backswing and follow through I would be interested. Generally not interested in the "Peloton" features, however. I tend to work on my game for myself. Occasionally (like once a year) I might face off against the missus in a competition.

I can't say that I would, no. I don't know if that would be the best use of my golf funds. I think it would be fun to try out with a group, like if a club had one and it was used during winter maybe I could see putting on that after playing the rest of the round on a sim but by itself not really.

Can it simulate holes on courses to be used in conjunction with another device?

Interesting concept & adds an extra dimension to putting practice. Not in the market for me though.

I'll enjoy my putting mat and mind games... Cool concept

interesting concept but just doesnt seem worth it to me. I have no desire to compete against others in the games. As for the "tech" to measure makes, misses, and speed to the cup just doesnt seem valuable in my opinion

My BirdieBall mat is amazing and I use it all the time. No automatic ball return but thats fine with me. I actually like walking to the other end so I have a different looking putt coming back technically

I didn't know if I should put this here or in the "Flatstick Talk" thread ..... so MODS please move to where you see fit.

Would you pay $599 for a putting mat? Well, Matt Allard, a new entrepreneur, is hoping so. It's called PUTTR.

He is trying to tackle three main problems with putting mats ... One, they’re too rough or the surface is too slow or too small to resemble putting on a real green. Two, they take up too much space and are difficult to store. Three, they’re not much fun.

It is 12 foot long X 2 foot wide putting mat that runs an 11 - 12 on the Stimp meter. It has the ability to track stats (not the real stats you're hoping for), more like how many putts made, from various distances, etc. The mat has sensors & a camera that has the ability to connect via Bluetooth app, to play games with your friends, very similar to the way Peloton bikers do. The ramp to the hole also tilts, so you have the ability to putt left to right & right to left putts. Trying to "gamify" the putting mat seems to be a decent idea.

He also wanted to make it portable & easy to store. You can roll it up like a yoga mat & store it in a transportable box.

I know I get bored using my putting mat for sure. But I'm not sure $600 would solve that boredom. Nor would I use it enough to justify the cost. I'll be interested to see how many he sells. But judging by the pre-sales already, things are looking good.

So THP'ers .... would you drop $600 for a putting mat?

Golfers are sick people. We will buy it.:ROFLMAO:

But the Made in China is disappointing. Tough to avoid, but needs to change for many products eventually.

Last edited:
Outside of my budget unfortunately. It sounds like a cool idea though.

Interesting, but probably not for me. Maybe in a market where you can't play outside year round this would be more likely to take off. Im not sure. To me the golfing social networking thing (outside of THP) is a bit un-tapped. GRINT does an interesting job of trying to link people mid round but I don't use it anymore because I doesn't do that stats I like.

interesting but I'm pretty good with my truline green.

I like the idea of it, but at that price point, I'd probably look at something that would include putting along with full swing

I saw a larger putting surface that takes up a whole room and you can vary the break - only $14k. :oops:

$599? And you can put it away? Sounds like a deal. Although if he goes to $499. the price of a driver, I think he will get more takers.

The only thing that would worry me about it is if it's able to be folded/rolled up, I'd be worried about having it be able to get to perfectly flat quickly. Or else you never know if the line is true or not.

Seems like a great idea that I would be able to get behind though

I’d have a hard time putting that much money down for what I view as an electric scorekeeper attached to a putting mat. My carpet and Perfect Putt are enough to keep me content. I suspect I’m not the targeted demographic for that mat, though since I’d rather practice in private.

Looks like the first 100 units have shipped. Interested to see if this catches on or if this ends up as good as it could be.

I find that having games and leaderboards at the driving range w/ TopTracer makes it easier & much more fun to practice. Don't see why this would be different. File this away into the "I would if I could" category.

I've been following this for 2 years.
The last iteration had a shorter Mat which seemed off but 12' seems good.

Finding a new more fun way to practice putting is always welcome. The price tag will keep some people away but people like us will buy this.

Back