PXG 2021 0211 irons

erock9174

Reaction score
Handicap
Solid price point. Not what I was anticipating based on some early photos. Can get a full set 4-lob wedge for less than 1200 bucks.

From the pictures, it looks like the sole is somewhat wider, offset is virtually identical, and the loft is about 3* stronger than the original...overall nice looking iron. At the going price, they will make some inroads. Looks like they are trying to get into the GI market.

Last edited:
Solid price point. Not what I was anticipating based on some early photos. Can get a full set 4-lob wedge for less than 1200 bucks.
From what I read the initial photos floating around was a one off prototype made for one person.

I think they look fantastic. Downside is I can’t tell how wide the soles really are on the website. And man, the lofts are insanely jacked. Like entire club off jacked. 42* PW down to 21* 5-iron.

I think they look fantastic. Downside is I can’t tell how wide the soles really are on the website. And man, the lofts are insanely jacked. Like entire club off jacked. 42* PW down to 21* 5-iron.
Nothing groundbreaking there, those lofts are almost identical to my Mavrik irons. Except my PW is actually 41°.

They look low end to me and price reflects as such. I don’t think they flatter or add any value to their higher-end lineup. Appears to me that this new line of low(er) end irons is deviating from Parson’s initial strategy of being expensive and exclusive.

From my arm chair looks like Bob wants to expand his cash flow opportunities while clubs sales are on a high. This release sure does take away the exclusivity of owning a set of PXG irons. Would be interesting to understand the marketing strategy relative to this release and what, if any impact on the entire brand. I guess only time will tell.

Reactions: JB
They look low end to me and price reflects as such. I don’t think they flatter or add any value to their higher-end lineup. Appears to me that this new line of low(er) end irons is deviating from Parson’s initial strategy of being expensive and exclusive.

From my arm chair looks like Bob wants to expand his cash flow opportunities while clubs sales are on a high. This release sure does take away the exclusivity of owning a set of PXG irons. Would be interesting to understand the marketing strategy relative to this release and what, if any impact on the entire brand. I guess only time will tell.
Just curious because I see you’re playing Apex Pro irons...
do you feel the same way about Callaway and their Maverick and Big Bertha lines? Do those clubs “not flatter or add any value to their higher end lineup”?
As far as PXG “initial strategy” goes, is this the first time you’ve ever seen a company evolve from their beginning business model?
I know there is a lot of anti Parsons sentiment here, but I don’t see a problem complimentng his high end line with a more reasonably priced one. I also think it’s a smart move for PXG to capitalize on the cache their name carries and enter that mainstream(?) market at what looks like a lower price than the OEMs they will be going up against.
Like you said, time will tell...

the Gen4's are coming in April, Parsons posted on IG

Reasonable price point for PXG. Look forward to learning how they perform.

do you feel the same way about Callaway and their Maverick and Big Bertha lines? Do those clubs “not flatter or add any value to their higher end lineup”?
As far as PXG “initial strategy” goes, is this the first time you’ve ever seen a company evolve from their beginning business model?
I know there is a lot of anti Parsons sentiment here, but I don’t see a problem complimentng his high end line with a more reasonably priced one. I also think it’s a smart move for PXG to capitalize on the cache their name carries and enter that mainstream(?) market at what looks like a lower price than the OEMs they will be going up against.

I think Callaway's market strategy is very different from what PXG's has been. PXG was introduced as being very high end targeted at the fully fit/custom market. Callaway is in the business of making irons for all levels/types and ability of golfers.

I don't have any issue with PXG introducing a lower cost iron but it is a shift from where the company started out.

There is a difference though.
The brand started with "we are expensive and if you can't afford it, too bad" mentality. FWIW, I kind of liked that. And it was very similar to multiple other brands that already existed such as XXIO, etc.

Pivoting from that means that those people that bought into that and chose the brand because of that, will consider this any other now. Good, bad or indifferent if Bentley came out with a 25k Honda Civic, Bentley owners that paid 200k for their car wouldn't be thrilled.

PXG has learned a lot over the past few years with their pricing and who is buying their products and why and this had to happen in my opinion for them to survive, so good on them for pivoting, but it is going to be hard pressed to sell it as "if you cant afford it PXG isnt for you" anymore.

I think that companies are testing the market as they progress. I mean all 3 major golf companies released high end irons that they never had before. I think PXG is testing the market like other companies. Like we ALL have said here...choices are good!

I think Callaway's market strategy is very different from what PXG's has been. PXG was introduced as being very high end targeted at the fully fit/custom market. Callaway is in the business of making irons for all levels/types and ability of golfers.

I don't have any issue with PXG introducing a lower cost iron but it is a shift from where the company started out.
Yes it is, which goes back to my earlier question.... what is wrong with a company evolving and trying to grow it’s market? Especially one like PXG which like them or not, has the reputation for making a quality product?

I’d think golfers would embrace the fact they’re now competing with a product line priced to appeal to the average consumer.

Yes it is, which goes back to my earlier question.... what is wrong with a company evolving and trying to grow it’s market? Especially one like PXG which like them or not, has the reputation for making a quality product?

I’d think golfers would embrace the fact they’re now competing with a product line priced to appeal to the average consumer.

Nothing wrong with it. It could impact the perceived prestige of their product line though.

There is a difference though.
The brand started with "we are expensive and if you can't afford it, too bad" mentality. FWIW, I kind of liked that. And it was very similar to multiple other brands that already existed such as XXIO, etc.

Pivoting from that means that those people that bought into that and chose the brand because of that, will consider this any other now. Good, bad or indifferent if Bentley came out with a 25k Honda Civic, Bentley owners that paid 200k for their car wouldn't be thrilled.

PXG has learned a lot over the past few years with their pricing and who is buying their products and why and this had to happen in my opinion for them to survive, so good on them for pivoting, but it is going to be hard pressed to sell it as "if you cant afford it PXG isnt for you" anymore.
I don’t see them pivoting as a bad thing, in fact I think it’s great for golfers.
I actually have the opposite view you do about this. I see it as PXG having established their name and reputation in the market, and now looking to grow their brand off of that.
Their high end line will still have the cache it did, the same way the Apex line will for Callaway. The people who bought an iron set because “we couldn’t afford it” aren’t the segment any company that wants to grow its brand should be concerned about unless they want to remain a boutique brand.
Callaway sells a hell of a lot more Maverick irons than they do Apex, same goes for every other OEM. Mizuno hot metal outsells thei tour line.
PXG growing (or expanding their reach) is a great thing for the consumer.

Callaway sells a hell of a lot more Maverick irons than they do Apex, same goes for every other OEM. Mizuno hot metal outsells thei tour line.

I'd like to see the data on that :D

But as I said, Callaway or Mizuno never marketed their clubs as "If you cant afford it too bad". They sold what they sold at the beginning because of two things. 1. Status and golf is a game of social credit. 2. Because of their Veterans program. While an opinion it is pretty safe to say just about most agree with it.

I appreciate the defense mechanism that some have for any brand, but I am not sure people are viewing apples to apples here.

I'd like to see the data on that :D

But as I said, Callaway or Mizuno never marketed their clubs as "If you cant afford it too bad". They sold what they sold at the beginning because of two things. 1. Status and golf is a game of social credit. 2. Because of their Veterans program. While an opinion it is pretty safe to say just about most agree with it.

I appreciate the defense mechanism that some have for any brand, but I am not sure people are viewing apples to apples here.
Not sure who it is exhibiting a defense mechanism here....
I know what it is I’m doing. I’m simply saying I don’t having any problem with a company evolving and trying to expand it’s brand. Especially when their pricing is lower than others out there.
I’m all for more choices. I don’t have any skin in this game, and I’m not the one passive aggressively knocking a company for changing it’s business model.

• WTF
Reactions: JB
I don’t see them pivoting as a bad thing, in fact I think it’s great for golfers.
I actually have the opposite view you do about this. I see it as PXG having established their name and reputation in the market, and now looking to grow their brand off of that.
Their high end line will still have the cache it did, the same way the Apex line will for Callaway. The people who bought an iron set because “we couldn’t afford it” aren’t the segment any company that wants to grow its brand should be concerned about unless they want to remain a boutique brand.
PXG growing (or expanding their reach) is a great thing for the consumer.
I must have missed where PXG 'established their name and reputation in the market'

What caused that to be a thing? Their products are intentionally overpriced by comparison to other brands with equal tech, manufacturing concepts, and materials. Their performance is at absolute BEST, equal to that of others (mostly not) despite the cost, their tour staff doesn't win..

I like some of their product, sure. I don't see anything that has 'established' them for name or rep outside of pure arrogance.

I am really interested in the logic of this release.

The pricing is solid, which is shocking for PXG (nice!) - but it's sort of 'fake' pricing considering the PERFORMANCE BENEFITS once of the features is "Killer Price" so the 115 off 195 isn't a sale or anything like that I guess? It's like saying "we could sell it at 195 because we're PXG but we aren't"?

It's just strange. Different from most things that are sold which is probably why it's so strange.

I just got back to the thread and I see my thoughts in terms of response have been more eloquently shared.

I understand your points @SC LEFTY but I think @JB provided the insight of the history of PXG since day 1, that I share. If PXG wants to expand into a lower cost lineup, it may come at a cost of future lost sales of their higher end “exclusive” lineup. I could envision someone (not me) getting little pissed that his/her exclusivity has disappeared. I guess I just never envisioned PXG would go down this path. Time will tell if the strategy works.

I must have missed where PXG 'established their name and reputation in the market'

What caused that to be a thing? Their products are intentionally overpriced by comparison to other brands with equal tech, manufacturing concepts, and materials. Their performance is at absolute BEST, equal to that of others (mostly not) despite the cost, their tour staff doesn't win..

I like some of their product, sure. I don't see anything that has 'established' them for name or rep outside of pure arrogance.
That seems to be the theme being pushed here, and I think I’ve said my piece.
This thread was started to talk about a new line, and instead it’s turned into a referendum on a company. I’ll refrain from any more comments on that and look forward to an opportunity to try these and all the other new 2021 OEM clubs, then decide if they work better for me than what I have.

I just got back to the thread and I see my thoughts in terms of response have been more eloquently shared.

I understand your points @SC LEFTY but I think @JB provided the insight of the history of PXG since day 1, that I share. If PXG wants to expand into a lower cost lineup, it may come at a cost of future lost sales of their higher end “exclusive” lineup. I could envision someone (not me) getting little pissed that his/her exclusivity has disappeared. I guess I just never envisioned PXG would go down this path. Time will tell if the strategy works.
Thank you, you said it better than I could.

I for one am thrilled that a company understands there might have been a mistake challenge and have pivoted their messaging and ideas from "you can't afford it" to high performance.

That seems to be the theme being pushed here, and I think I’ve said my piece.
This thread was started to talk about a new line, and instead it’s turned into a referendum on a company. I’ll refrain from any more comments on that and look forward to an opportunity to try these and all the other new 2021 OEM clubs, then decide if they work better for me than what I have.
It's a release claiming to be more than 40% off the list price. The 'killer price' is in their "performance benefits" section.

How and/or why wouldn't it be a conversation?
Also, I'd really love to learn more about your perspective on how they've established themselves, per my last question. Why not answer?

Back