PXG Gen 3 XF irons

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
Any opinions on the Gen 3 XF irons? They are priced very aggressively and have gotten generally pretty good reviews, but I'm a senior golfer just looking for a better mousetrap. Tell me what you think.

I think you mean 0311 Gen3 XP irons? XF I believe was Gen2.

Anyways, they are my gamers right now and they are pretty good. Good strikes feel soft yet solid, and they look fantastic.

2 cons I would point out. 1, the steel is quite soft so I notice nicks, dents, and scratches more so than other irons I've owned. And 2, they have strong lofts and the ball doesn't spin as much off the face as other irons I've played, so expect the ball to run out a bit. I would pair these with high launch shafts to get the best results.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

I too am a senior and recently made the switch to PXG irons. I tried all of their offerings and ended up with the Gen 3 0311P model but I did upgrade the shafts to help with my slow swing speed. To date, I like them, and they are a comfortable club providing a little more distance than I was getting from my Ping irons. I do agree, the price is right for what you get and the delivery time is exceptional,

I think you mean 0311 Gen3 XP irons? XF I believe was Gen2.

Anyways, they are my gamers right now and they are pretty good. Good strikes feel soft yet solid, and they look fantastic.

2 cons I would point out. 1, the steel is quite soft so I notice nicks, dents, and scratches more so than other irons I've owned. And 2, they have strong lofts and the ball doesn't spin as much off the face as other irons I've played, so expect the ball to run out a bit. I would pair these with high launch shafts to get the best results.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Took the words right out of my mouth. I sent an email to PXG asking for a shaft recommendation that would maximize the spin. Not too worried about the dings and dents if they perform and feel as good as they sound.

I too am a senior and recently made the switch to PXG irons. I tried all of their offerings and ended up with the Gen 3 0311P model but I did upgrade the shafts to help with my slow swing speed. To date, I like them, and they are a comfortable club providing a little more distance than I was getting from my Ping irons. I do agree, the price is right for what you get and the delivery time is exceptional,

Would you mind me asking what shaft you went with?

I’ve had Gen3 P’s in the bag for over a year in my C130 they don’t show much chatter. They have a little over 100 rounds on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the delay in responding. My fitting resulted in the MMT 60g shaft in A-flex. I believe it was a $39 upgrade/stick. I am still trying to get adjusted to the A-flex but as I put more rounds on them I seem to be adjusting. Time will tell.

I looked up both the MMT and Cypher shafts that they offer - the Cypher 50i seems to be their default A flex shaft. Why? I'm guessing because the launch is "high" compared to the MMT which is "mid". Senior golfer typically need more height in their shots so they probably push that one initially. I think the Cypher is 59 grams and the MMT is 62 grams so not much difference in weight.

I'm generally getting pretty good height with my shots so I may opt for the MMT.

I have been very happy with the MMT/Gen 3 combination. I like the feel and just need to work on my rhythm to match the flex. All in all a nice upgrade for the price.

I looked up both the MMT and Cypher shafts that they offer - the Cypher 50i seems to be their default A flex shaft. Why? I'm guessing because the launch is "high" compared to the MMT which is "mid". Senior golfer typically need more height in their shots so they probably push that one initially. I think the Cypher is 59 grams and the MMT is 62 grams so not much difference in weight.

I'm generally getting pretty good height with my shots so I may opt for the MMT.
I haven’t tried the Cypher but have tried the MMT and Elevate in Reg in PXG irons and the Elevate launched higher. The MMT was mid launch for me.

Sorry for the delay in responding. My fitting resulted in the MMT 60g shaft in A-flex. I believe it was a $39 upgrade/stick. I am still trying to get adjusted to the A-flex but as I put more rounds on them I seem to be adjusting. Time will tell.
MMT is now an upgrade ? Last I checked the Elevate, MMT and Cypher were all stock no charge options

MMT is still a no up charge shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I called PXG and talked with Ryan, one of the fitting experts. My question was, what shaft should I select for the 0311 Gen 3's if I wanted to maximize spin. Without hesitation, he said I should go with the Cypher 50i.

I called PXG and talked with Ryan, one of the fitting experts. My question was, what shaft should I select for the 0311 Gen 3's if I wanted to maximize spin. Without hesitation, he said I should go with the Cypher 50i.

Seems about right. I’d say Cypher then Elevate then MMT from most to least spin.

Why did you have to pay an extra $39 per? That’s the shaft I use, and it was a stock option. I’m right on the line as far as SS between regular and senior, but the MMT plays a little stiff to flex, so you made a good choice.
I’d have loved to try the Cypher, but they weren’t anoption when I ordered mine back in early November.
I went with the XP’s, and I really like them. I’ve finally found a set to kick my old ones out of the bag.

Last edited:
My Bad!!! I don't know where my head was when I wrote that. The shaft I used in my irons was the KBS, Max graphite 55g in A-flex. Sorry for the confusion, I used the MMT 60g shaft in my wedges. Sorry for my confusion--I must watch alcohol consumption when on the forum,

A little more feedback as I get more familiar with the PXG 0311 Gen 3 XF irons.

Today, I decided to start with the PXG and do some comparison shots indoor. Did much better than my first go round. In fact, I hit a 7 iron 144 carry which I could not match with the 7 iron of my 2021 T300. I still have a little face issue with the PXG's - I think it's still open a little too much so I'm working on that. But I was impressed with the performance today. Also, the feel is definitely better.

Moving to the 6 iron for my next comparison.

Saw today on the PXG site that the Recoil Dart is one of the stock no upcharge shaft options. MMT is no longer listed.

Back