Correct. We always wonder if it’s even worth posting being dealing with peoples lives, etc. we do know THPers follow industry trends though, so when it’s verified by multiple sources, it is worth sharing.

Hate to see it from anybody but it’s part of business.

and i think the pxg story is of particular interest because of their narrative and the personality behind the brand. i appreciate the unbiased info thp provides so well.

That’s unfortunate but not surprising.

if anything I’m sure it’s a valuable learning experience for PXG and have a feeling they will re strategize and could come back stronger. They’ll need to rebrand themselves in a different way too.

I’m sure they are just Trimming the fat and becoming leaner and more organized. my guess is that Going from zero to where they are now so quickly left a lot of inefficiencies in place. So now it’s time to reorganize.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. It's time to bring back the dongs.

1F514B40-DAEE-4109-AA54-735C471E3B1A.jpeg

I think the difference there is that Lynx is just making a re-entry into the US market. They’ve been “back” in the UK for a while so they aren’t starting from scratch. PXG had to have spent a crazy amount on R and D getting things off the ground.
That's a good point and, to be honest, I had no idea they even had a presence in the U.K. Thanks for the info.(y)

They have xtreme in their company name. Is anyone surprised? Epitome of old lame golf guy (that happens to be an asshat) trying to be cool. Shock.

Our company sheds this time of year. Pretty common in Corp America.

The bigger question is.
Is this .01%, 1%, 10%, or more than 10% of their total employees?

They have xtreme in their company name. Is anyone surprised? Epitome of old lame golf guy (that happens to be an asshat) trying to be cool. Shock.

So is Xtreme really that much worse than Swag? And I say that as someone who is all in on one of those two.

So is Xtreme really that much worse than Swag? And I say that as someone who is all in on one of those two.
Swag doesn’t reek of corporate douchery like Xtreme does, at least to me. Maybe that was the point of the company tho, I don’t know. From a business standpoint, I just don’t think they were set up to succeed long term.

Swag doesn’t reek of corporate douchery like Xtreme does, at least to me. Maybe that was the point of the company tho, I don’t know. From a business standpoint, I just don’t think they were set up to succeed long term.
I just think if you’re going to call out one slang term with the trying to be cool older guys, you have to call out the other. And I’m a getting older guy who loves Swag, that’s also why I’ve never had an issue with PXG though.

I just think if you’re going to call out one slang term with the trying to be cool older guys, you have to call out the other. And I’m a getting older guy who loves Swag, that’s also why I’ve never had an issue with PXG though.
I think the way they have gone to market and presented themselves could not be more different, and I apologize, this should probably be in another thread.
PXG: look at how expensive out stuff is, look at how rich our maverick owner is, look at our clubs that are essentially ping ripoffs, but nobody does it like we do, so buy our products.

Swag: we’ve been in the putter space for a long time and here’s our take on classic designs, but we are going to do it differently and to the highest level of quality. Also, our head covers are better than everyone’s because they actually are.

I dunno man. again, this is my take. But pxg is , and always has been, mega-cringeworthy, and I think it comes from the top.

I think the way they have gone to market and presented themselves could not be more different, and I apologize, this should probably be in another thread.
PXG: look at how expensive out stuff is, look at how rich our maverick owner is, look at our clubs that are essentially ping ripoffs, but nobody does it like we do, so buy our products.

Swag: we’ve been in the putter space for a long time and here’s our take on classic designs, but we are going to do it differently and to the highest level of quality. Also, our head covers are better than everyone’s because they actually are.

I dunno man. again, this is my take. But pxg is , and always has been, mega-cringeworthy, and I think it comes from the top.

Had your first comments included company perspective and path, I get it, but it read just based on having Xtreme in the name, to which it always interests me why some names get a pass and others don’t, Especially when both are the same kitschy vernacular.

It’s a conversation I just find interesting.

Had your first comments included company perspective and path, I get it, but it read just based on having Xtreme in the name, to which it always interests me why some names get a pass and others don’t, Especially when both are the same kitschy vernacular.

It’s a conversation I just find interesting.
I feel like their company perspective and path are completely tied into the name. 1572706471570.png

Companies make layoffs for multiple reasons I don’t read much into this. I think even if the brand goes away (not saying it will) it has change the equipment landscape.

Wish I saw all golf companies corporate “restructuring” reported the same way.
the last company i can remember laying off a large staff was reported almost identically. and that company was and still is a sponsor of thp with whom events were done prior to that reporting and have been done after that reporting.

Yeah, I don't know a time where it wasn't, actually. I remember when Hogan went through all their stuff... Adams... TaylorMade.. It's all here.

Or maybe LB was talking about elsewhere on the interwebs? :unsure:

In fairness, I am not sure it is accurate to say that PXG’s products are “essentially Ping ripoffs.” Although PXG was not the first to have a hollow iron, its hollow, material filled iron head spawned the line of products that are revered today. Ping’s own hollow, players distance iron, the i500, came after PXG. It really was PXG, then TaylorMade’s P790, and then the industry jumped on board. At least that is the way I see it. The shape was Ping. The engineers were former Ping folks, but there has been some real innovation that occurred as a result of PXG daring to be different.

In fairness, I am not sure it is accurate to say that PXG’s products are “essentially Ping ripoffs.” Although PXG was not the first to have a hollow iron, its hollow, material filled iron head spawned the line of products that are revered today. Ping’s own hollow, players distance iron, the i500, came after PXG. It really was PXG, then TaylorMade’s P790, and then the industry jumped on board. At least that is the way I see it. The shape was Ping. The engineers were former Ping folks, but there has been some real innovation that occurred as a result of PXG daring to be different.
Agree, definitely not PING ripoffs. Yes, they brought in most of the PING R&D, but then they let them be free to go wild. Something PING would never ever ever do.

IMO, PXG does a good job marketing to their target audience which is older white guys. There were at least 15 guys at my last club that bought PXG irons the first few months they were out. All of them were over the age of 40 and a majority were 50+. I talked to many of them about their purchase and it was all about rewarding themselves with something special after all their years of hard work. My neighbor has a set and his quote: " 10 years ago I could have never afforded or justified the price but I've worked my ass off for 25 years so I could buy whatever I wanted." He also has the same sentiment about his S450 4MATIC.

It is unfortunate that people are being let go. Hopefully with PXG reducing their price matrix they will be able to compete and bring those jobs back.

For those of us who have actually played their equipment, there is a big difference when comparing them to other brands. More so in feel than performance IMO. I hope they can get things back on track soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pricing and their ownership aside, I have always found their irons to look very appealing. Yes, they resemble some ping design elements, same with their driver. But, we've seen another recent example of a club design following the designer to a different OEM in the Stroke Lab 10. I realize it's apples and oranges there. Not exactly the same scenario. I'm not surprised to see a designer keep similar elements regardless of the OEM they work for. As long as the copyrights and trademarks aren't being infringed upon, I see no issues with it.

I've never had the opportunity to hit a PXG club since they aren't available at my typical club purchasing outlets. Plus, they're so far out of my price range that it's not really worth trying. If they decided to go more mainstream and their pricing fell in line with other OEM's, sure, I'd give them a serious look some day in the future.

At the end of the day, people are losing their jobs and I feel for them. I hope they are able to shift relatively easily into something else.

It is too bad about the people loosing jobs - I do feel for them. I wonder if the high end of the market is not becoming saturated. When PXG came it there weren't any competitors from the more common brands such as Callaway and Taylormade. Plus at that price point, I wonder how many people frequently buy club sets. I am tempted to try the Callaway Epic forged but if i buy them it is because I only change irons about every 5-10 seasons. I suspect many people in that price category also view irons as a reward and it might be hard to justify a new 2500 golf set every year.

Sounds a lot like Ben Hogan clubs. I’m sure they will do some new price structuring and survive. It was only a matter of time before people realized that they don’t do anything that another club can do at half the price. I think the newness/excitement has worn off.

I currently have a full bag of PXG clubs and support the company, especially the Hero’s program. But, they don’t feel any better than most other forged clubs and they don’t out perform clubs of similar style when put head to head.

Damn that's really bad timing for layoffs, but I guess also it happens alot as profits and budgets get made for the next year?

Hope they can land something soon..

Other than that, I think pxg priced themselves out of the market.. there's only so many people who can afford to spend that much on clubs and eventually you're going to run low on customers

It is unfortunate that people are being let go. Hopefully with PXG reducing their price matrix they will be able to compete and bring those jobs back.

For those of us who have actually played their equipment, there is a big difference when comparing them to other brands. More so in feel than performance IMO. I hope they can get things back on track soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
They make a good product, no doubt about it. Plenty of guys in their product construction department with strong knowledge and history.

The only iron they made that I thought fell flat, sadly, was their most reasonably priced product. The 0211 line felt like absolute trash, especially when comparing to similar clubs in that design. Outside of price, the 0311 iron lineup is awesome.

I love to try exotic clubs, but the PXG clubs just never fit my eye (stupid machine screws) and frankly I have never seen one where I could even try it. The other thing that put me off was that KC720 had one of the 1st sets (I think) and dumped them real quick, our taste in clubs is similar and when he bailed right away it turned me completely off to them.

Back