I really don't want to fan flames here, but.....

In Bob Parson's tweet at THP: @THPgolf tweeted @PXG laid off “several dozen” employees last month and more soon. Not so. We did restructure our field operations and are opening new stores. As part of this we hired & are hiring 41 new employees. 26 did not make the cut. @PXG The future is bright baby! (emphasis added)

In the "explanation" article: Twenty-six didn’t make the cut, but we hired 41 more. (emphasis added).

Unless PXG hired the remaining delta of people from x to 41 in the last 12 hours, I don't see how both of these statements can be accurate.

Which brings us back to the original point that more than two dozen, as was originally and accurately reported.

That is correct. Which is what I sent the writer via Twitter and offered to have a conversation. It was denied, which is fine.
We stand by our original tweet, and if others places want to discuss it, that is fine too. No different than what happened when we broke the Matrix or Hogan story FWIW. It's cool. We love golf, the equipment and the golf industry and want to help our community of people here engage in all of it.

Honestly have to catch up on the thread, but based on what I understand is this about right?

Best driver I've ever owned. Gen 1 and 2. $105 for the 0211 isnt that bad with the heroes program. He was actually giving away the drivers to 1at responders for $125

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Reading this thread multiple times both pre an d post Parsons tweet and other site article, I still mostly feel bad for the people that lost their jobs just before the holidays.

I think the orginal post from JB was pretty benign and didnt get into the situation of the company. It just said people were laid off and the tweet confirmed it. If it's part of a restructuring whatever. It still sucks for the people let go.

Also, a lot of people have pretty strong opinions on pxg. I will say the 0211 surprised me with how they looked, but the expansion of the hollow bodied market I really wonder what they still have for the future. Additionally the crazy people that buy 20 sets of pxgs probably are not continuing that trend. But yeah, strong opinions out there.

I felt like when they announce the more "budget friendly" line that they were in trouble. I could definitely be wrong, but seemed completely antithetical of everything they were doing before.
I disagree. Brands that successfully build prestige around the name can get away with more wallet-friendly options. To make a comparison, the Gibson Les Paul has several options less expensive than the Les Paul Standard, but the idea of a Gibson Les Paul carries enough weight that even if you get a Studio or Tribute model, it doesn't change that it's a single-cut with two humbuckers and says Gibson on the headstock.

PXG has relatively budget-conscious options, but we still talk about it as being a high-end boutique brand. In that regard, I think they'd say mission accomplished.

I disagree. Brands that successfully build prestige around the name can get away with more wallet-friendly options. To make a comparison, the Gibson Les Paul has several options less expensive than the Les Paul Standard, but the idea of a Gibson Les Paul carries enough weight that even if you get a Studio or Tribute model, it doesn't change that it's a single-cut with two humbuckers and says Gibson on the headstock.

PXG has relatively budget-conscious options, but we still talk about it as being a high-end boutique brand. In that regard, I think they'd say mission accomplished.

Luxury car manufacturers have been doing this for awhile now, for example Mercedes-Benz has 3 models that are budget friendly and they have done very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Luxury car manufacturers have been doing this for awhile now, for example Mercedes-Benz has 3 models that are budget friendly and they have done very well.
The thing about low end luxury brands though, is that they are still as competitive as other options. Not sure if you've hit the 0211 from PXG, but from my perspective they sound absolutely awful. At least five options out there way way way better at a comparable price point.

That's the big difference to me. At least with benz, they are still competitive in that range.

I don't know anything about guitars, but if I had to name a brand of guitars, it would be les paul. So to me, Les paul having multiple price points on a guitar is not surprising as they have been in biz, for what 6-7 decades? Same as those who mention cars, Mercedes benz is closing in on a century right? So I would say they have some serious brand equity built up to cash in on with differing price pionts.

Outside of serious gear heads, how many know what PXG is? They are a 3 year old golf company whose motto is "nobody makes golf clubs the way we do period" who began making clubs at prices roughly double that of the major brands. So, what does making a more budget conscious model do for them? They are not being sold outside of fitters still right? Again, I know nothing about their business standing in the slightest, but if they are only making the best of the best with a line of irons that costs half that of their previous offering, why even look at the higher end model?

So to me and my view... making a lower end model did not jive with what parsons had said they were going to be doing. That doesn't mean the previous plan was failing, but it doesn't mean it wasn't either.

I really don't want to fan flames here, but.....

In Bob Parson's tweet at THP: @THPgolf tweeted @PXG laid off “several dozen” employees last month and more soon. Not so. We did restructure our field operations and are opening new stores. As part of this we hired & are hiring 41 new employees. 26 did not make the cut. @PXG The future is bright baby! (emphasis added)

In the "explanation" article: Twenty-six didn’t make the cut, but we hired 41 more. (emphasis added).

Unless PXG hired the remaining delta of people from x to 41 in the last 12 hours, I don't see how both of these statements can be accurate.

Which brings us back to the original point that more than two dozen, as was originally and accurately reported.

I’ve got to say, I find this whole manufactured controversy a bit silly. There is fire but without the smoke.

people lost jobs (label aside), yup. Business doing fine, yup. People operating on very little factual information making comparisons that are ill fitting, yup. Loud noises and anger but with no real direction or purpose, yup.

this should have blown over but it’s the slow season in golf, clearly.

I just want to thank you for saying couldn't care less. Totally off the subject, but that's one of my biggest pet peeves when people say could care less.

(y)(y)(y) Yeah, when they say “could care less,” they literally are saying they care.

Your logic is solid and I agree. I love disrupters like Bob Parsons and I wouldn't bet against him either. He's a positive for the golf industry and pushes the big boys to think different, IMO. Like I said earlier, without Parson's we likely don't have Callaway charging $300 each for their Epic Forged and I'm damn happy to have recently added an EF 4 iron to my bag.

Without Parsons/PXG, we may not have P790s, i500s, the new Forged Tecs, etc. I also love rulebreakers in any industry.

That is seriously uncool and not at all what this community is about.
It takes a special kind of piece of **** (yes I am stooping to that level) to make fun of someone born with special needs.

That was, bar none, the worst post I have ever read on the forum. If I were running a forum, I would suspend anyone who would post such garbage. No place at all for it. Period.

Without Parsons/PXG, we may not have P790s, i500s, the new Forged Tecs, etc. I also love rulebreakers in any industry.
I may be way off, but with the R&D cycle and how long clubs are in the works before even coming to market, there is a good chance that the P790’s, i500’s, and maybe even the forged Tecs were all already in the pipeline before PXG even became a company. I don’t think PXG has done anything to the industry honestly.

I’ve got to say, I find this whole manufactured controversy a bit silly. There is fire but without the smoke.

people lost jobs (label aside), yup. Business doing fine, yup. People operating on very little factual information making comparisons that are ill fitting, yup. Loud noises and anger but with no real direction or purpose, yup.

this should have blown over but it’s the slow season in golf, clearly.

Meanwhile, Bob Parsons is probably tipping back a cold one, laughing his a__ off, thinking all publicity is good publicity.

Last edited:
Back