PXi and C-Taper Lite - Swing Weight question

adamw238

Reaction score
Handicap
So, I'm trying the PXi shafts in my Apex Pros for a couple of reasons and noticed somethings that I hope you guys can help me out with. I had the C-Taper Lites in there but even with the lofts set at - 2* the ball was still going higher than I want. Plus, I've got the PXis going into my MC irons and wanted to get re-acquainted with them. I've had the shaft before in MP59s and X-forged with no issues. So this has got me a bit perplexed.

1) Both shafts are playing the same length and are roughly the same weight, but the swing weight with the PXi is anywhere from 6-10 points higher. I'm not sure why this is the case. Could anyone help explain this? I know I can back weight the club, to even it all out, but it just seems a bit odd that I would need to do this. Would the balance point be the cause?

2) My hands are KILLLING me. I went with the 5.5 shaft (play a stiff normally) and didn't expect my hands to feel the way they do. I'd suspect that this would have a little to do with how tip heavy the club feels and is stressing the muscles in my hands a bit more.

Has anyone else seen this with shafts, or any of the above?

Balance points are different with different shafts - BUT are you sure 6-10 pts? That's pretty monumental right there. Do you know what sort of tip weights were installed (if any) in both sets? Who built them? Same grips? Not that a grip will matter that much.

Something seems off.

6 to 10 points seems really awkward, that is an ASTROMOMICAL difference. I've seen some changes going from shaft to shaft in the same head (6 diff shafts in the i20's) but it never got that massive of a difference. There has to be something in there that is amiss, like Hawk asked, tip weights?

The two guys I was hoping to hear from!

There are no weights in the tips of either. The SW with the CTLs is D2. With the PXi they are E1 - D8. Same grips, same amount of tape. I put the shafts in the second time, Callaway put the CTLs in.

I'm pretty perplexed here. I know you guys have experience with these shafts in different heads and was curious if you'd seen this before.

Its strange, I don't know the exact weight balance profile differences of the two off the top of my head but 2g difference in the shaft resulting in that big of a SW jump is mind boggling.

Scratch that, the CTL's do have a higher CG than the PXi's from what I am finding, odds are more weight situated towards the head in the PXi's is what is causing the jump, that would mean you are going to have to add weight to the butt end of the shafts (grip, lead tape, tour lock) to balance them and bring the weights down where you want them. Tedious.

Scratch that, the CTL's do have a higher CG than the PXi's from what I am finding, odds are more weight situated towards the head in the PXi's is what is causing the jump, that would mean you are going to have to add weight to the butt end of the shafts (grip, lead tape, tour lock) to balance them and bring the weights down where you want them. Tedious.

That's what I was figuring. Time to break out the scale and powder.

Thanks again guys!

Wacky stuff. Hope you can get it situated.

Got it sorted out. It's called the Tour V.

lol

hmmm, looking forward to seeing what the tour V is all about this evening.

hmmm, looking forward to seeing what the tour V is all about this evening.

Solid shaft. Mid launch, low spin. Typical KBS smooth feeling.

Wacky stuff. Hope you can get it situated.

Well, I went into the lab Thursday night to get this all sorted out. Not really in the cards to get the tour v right now. I had to add 20 grams in most cases. I was really worried about overall weight but didn't notice it.

Very tedious to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I went into the lab Thursday night to get this all sorted out. Not really in the cards to get the tour v right now. I had to add 20 grams in most cases. I was really worried about overall weight but didn't notice it.

Very tedious to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So just to clarify, you added 20 grams to the butt end to get the swing-weight where you wanted? And now the ball-flight is in line?

That is correct.

Thanks. I assumed you had use lead tape under the grip or a butt cap / Secret Grip / backweighting to add 20 grams?

Thanks. I assumed you had use lead tape under the grip or a butt cap / Secret Grip / backweighting to add 20 grams?

Correct. I used a butt cap, tungsten powder. It was morentedius than anything. Weighing the club, then measuring the necessary powder, putting it into the cap, corking it, getting it into the shaft and regripping. Each club took about 5-10 minutes

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

Back