Qualified for my MGA Shootout!

MrBill

Reaction score
Handicap
Just wanted to share the info that I just qualified for our club's 19 man shootout tournament this coming Sunday. :banana:

23 people tee off the first hole. 3 are eliminated on that hole with one dropping off on each subsequent hole. Last man standing wins!

I've qualified for something similar(smaller) this spring and gotten close to winning it, so I'm a little better prepared for the crowd of people (most better than I am) watching. I was *so* nervous before, and this will be even bigger.

I think I get 15 shots and there are only a few who have more strokes than I do. I know the pace will be really slow to start with - 1.5 hours estimated for the first hole!

Any advice on how to do well?

Congrats and good luck. No real advice because I have never played in anything like that, but when ever I get to a crowd watching me do anything I focus on someone in the crowd having fun and try to turn my nervousness to how much fun can I have with this. Takes the edge off.

Good luck!

That is awesome, Mr. Bill. I have played in similar events before and have sorta developed my own strategy. Although some may disagree, I suggest that you start playing fairly conservative and progressivly become more agressive as the holes go on. It is like that old saying: "You don't have to run faster than the bear, you just have to run faster than the slowest member of your friends." On the first hole, 20 will survive. The 3 that are dropped will likely be people who completely screw up on the first hole. Just don't be one of those screw-ups. As you progress, you will have to become more aggressive, as the number of disaster holes for the players will decrease as the field gets smaller.

That is awesome, Mr. Bill. I have played in similar events before and have sorta developed my own strategy. Although some may disagree, I suggest that you start playing fairly conservative and progressivly become more agressive as the holes go on. It is like that old saying: "You don't have to run faster than the bear, you just have to run faster than the slowest member of your friends." On the first hole, 20 will survive. The 3 that are dropped will likely be people who completely screw up on the first hole. Just don't be one of those screw-ups. As you progress, you will have to become more aggressive, as the number of disaster holes for the players will decrease as the field gets smaller.

Thanks man, that sounds like awesome advice especially since I get pops. We start on the number one HCP hole (10) so there will be carnage for sure. It's a par 4 that requires a lay up off the tee. I'll hit 3 wood or 3 hybrid depending on the wind and weather. It might be raining. Narrow fairway. If you miss it you're toast. Then a pretty long second shot to a green in a valley that is heavily bunkered short.

I just don't want to be the slowest antelope in the herd.

Back