Question about fittings

Turtlerancher

2021 Morgan Cup- Go Team Hackers! 😎
Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
??
Thinking of going for a fitting but, the dilemma I am having is, the nearest fitting center is a little over 2 hours away or over 3hrs. to the CC in Boston. Either option I am worried that I will get there and be so stiff from the ride I won't be able to put a decent swing on the ball. Is this something that would concern you or do think I should be able to loosen up enough for a proper fitting?

Make a day of it? Book the fitting for the middle of the day and leave early to give yourself time to have a walk around before heading in to the fitting?

I guess there is no right answer as everyone is different, but I know if I drove a couple hours I would need to stretch before trying to hit balls

Thinking of going for a fitting but, the dilemma I am having is, the nearest fitting center is a little over 2 hours away or over 3hrs. to the CC in Boston. Either option I am worried that I will get there and be so stiff from the ride I won't be able to put a decent swing on the ball. Is this something that would concern you or do think I should be able to loosen up enough for a proper fitting?

Having just gone through a full bag fitting at CC I can tell you that you will be given time to loosen up. And as the Doctor mentioned above give yourself a little extra time to walk around after you arrive at the destination and loosen up. Have to say that my fitting at CC opened my eyes to quite a few things and was well worth the effort. (y)

As you should warm up and stretch before your round of golf, so should you do the same for fitting.
No more than 25-30 minutes of light stretching will loosen you up. So arrive early and stretch out a little.
Explain this to the fitter that you'll be riding 2 hours to get there, and if he could not accommodate you, get a fitting next time you take a vacation somewhere else..
I'm more concerned about your ability to pay a returned visit for tune up. Fitting is not just that one hour of on the L/M and be done with it. A good fitting should involve return trips for tune up ( or several trips for tune ups ) Only needs to be 15 minutes or so to check on your progress.
Depending on how often that you golf, a proper fitting or tune up should be performed once in awhile because your physical condition and your golf game will be evolving constantly.
For the average golfers, whom do not demand to perform at their best all the time, a simple fitting of shaft flex and L/L for the irons will satisfied the need. Of course if the fitting does not allow you to try out most of the driver shafts which falls into your category, then it won't make a huge difference for the average golfer to go through the fitting without able to try out the shafts that might fit them.

Last edited:
Is it possible to spend the night so you don't have to drive down before the fitting? That way you are not fatigued from the drive and can be wide eyed for it.

As you should warm up and stretch before your round of golf, so should you do the same for fitting.
No more than 25-30 minutes of light stretching will loosen you up. So arrive early and stretch out a little.
Explain this to the fitter that you'll be riding 2 hours to get there, and if he could not accommodate you, get a fitting next time you take a vacation somewhere else..
I'm more concerned about your ability to pay a returned visit for tune up. Fitting is not just that one hour of on the L/M and be done with it. A good fitting should involve return trips for tune up ( or several trips for tune ups ) Only needs to be 15 minutes or so to check on your progress.
Depending on how often that you golf, a proper fitting or tune up should be performed once in awhile because your physical condition and your golf game will be evolving constantly.
For the average golfers, whom do not demand to perform at their best all the time, a simple fitting of shaft flex and L/L for the irons will satisfied the need. Of course if the fitting does not allow you to try out most of the driver shafts which falls into your category, then it won't make a huge difference for the average golfer to go through the fitting without able to try out the shafts that might fit them.
Thanks for your advice, as a new( less than 2 yrs) golfer who is quite avid ( 80 rounds this summer) I know my swing and needs will change. This fitting will basically be to get a baseline for my loft, length and, lie of my irons on a monitor. Once I get some specs I will probably start shopping on Budget Golf and CPO for some new irons.
In my neck of the woods during the summer there are a couple of places that can check your lie on a board and that's about it. The Mizuno dealer has the shaft optimizer set up and I plan on doing a driver fitting in the spring.

Is it possible to spend the night so you don't have to drive down before the fitting? That way you are not fatigued from the drive and can be wide eyed for it.
Jeez get this country boy out of the sticks and into the big city of Boston and I might end up more fatigued and cross eyed at my fitting. :drinks:;)

Jeez get this country boy out of the sticks and into the big city of Boston and I might end up more fatigued and cross eyed at my fitting. :drinks:;)

Well just remember if your getting a driver fitting done, no alcohol. It's never a good idea to drink and drive. :laughing:

Thanks for your advice, as a new( less than 2 yrs) golfer who is quite avid ( 80 rounds this summer) I know my swing and needs will change. This fitting will basically be to get a baseline for my loft, length and, lie of my irons on a monitor. Once I get some specs I will probably start shopping on Budget Golf and CPO for some new irons.
In my neck of the woods during the summer there are a couple of places that can check your lie on a board and that's about it. The Mizuno dealer has the shaft optimizer set up and I plan on doing a driver fitting in the spring.
It'll take a longer journey to find the baseline if you're far away from anyone for L/L adjustment.
You can find out anyone near you that owns a set of L/L adjustment and ask if they'll do the adjustment for you for a fee.
It's easy to go from the static measurement and then take it out to the driving range ( prefer grass instead of mat ) and return for tune up. Standard fee around any metropolitan area is $4 per iron for adjustment including tune up.
That's about all you'll need unless you have doubt about the shaft flex and weight.
Don;t need too much of a fine adjustment for a new golfer, one or two degrees off the lie will not be detrimental to your golf game at this stage. If you can't put an approach shot from 150 and in to within 10 yards of the pin then, it'll be awhile before you'll needs to be refined.
Get a general adjustment on the lie angle first. I would not tough the loft at this point unless you have issue with the distance gap. Keep in mind the long irons needs more swing speed to get the designed distance gap from the next iron.
If you're not able to get the proper distance gap from the long irons, go for the hybrids for now until later when you have a better game.
I loved my 2 and the 3 irons when I was playing a lot in my younger days but have to retired them now.'

Last edited:
I have never had a fitting where the fitter didn't have me do a decent warm up prior to the fitting. You can also get there a bit early and take a short, but rigorous walk to help loosen you up a bit.

Well this post got turned on it's head today thanks to @JB ! I will now just have to see if the lie on my new irons need adjustment and do a fitting for a driver.:cool:

Back