Question about lie in 3 woods

LargePhil

Tiny Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 9.6
I have a question that I haven't been able to find an answer to. Why does the 3 wood usually have the flattest lie in the bag? Usually one to two degrees flatter than even the driver. I have checked this with numerous manufacturers to confirm my findings.

I would guess that is due to it being the longer length club that you hit off of the ground. I think the sole camber plays a role too.

Found this which seems to make sense:

Fairway woods are more often hit “off the deck”. This requires the sole to be closer to parallel with the ground to ensure a more solid impact. By making the fairway wood lies a little more flat than the Driver, this aids in allowing the point of contact between the sole and the ground to be closer to the center of the sole.

http://wishongolf.com/technology/tech-faqs/

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Thanks buddy.

Found this which seems to make sense:

Fairway woods are more often hit “off the deck”. This requires the sole to be closer to parallel with the ground to ensure a more solid impact. By making the fairway wood lies a little more flat than the Driver, this aids in allowing the point of contact between the sole and the ground to be closer to the center of the sole.

http://wishongolf.com/technology/tech-faqs/

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

I agree with this. Our PGA Pro has always taught to "sweep" the ball with a 3 wood other than hitting down hard like a iron.

The only issue with this description, seems to be that all of that assumes a fixed starting point and swing path. When being fit for irons, the goal is to arrive at a lie that comes into the ball with the club level. Many hybrids also have bendable hosels. I understand that fairway woods, usually have rounded soles, but, it would seem that the lie angle would need adjustment, in any club the contacts the ground at impact.

Yeah, it's the longer length.

Longer length clubs generally lead to a flatter swing plane as well, this asp contributes to the flatter lie angle.

The only issue with this description, seems to be that all of that assumes a fixed starting point and swing path. When being fit for irons, the goal is to arrive at a lie that comes into the ball with the club level. Many hybrids also have bendable hosels. I understand that fairway woods, usually have rounded soles, but, it would seem that the lie angle would need adjustment, in any club the contacts the ground at impact.

I agree. I have my hybrids bent 0.75 degrees flat, but not my 3 wood. In a full fitting with your current clubs, I think you should have each club checked. My fitter has always had me hit each on the board. In doing so we found that my wedges didn't need to be as flat so I've had them bent as well but only 0.50 degrees.

My 3 wood looks a bit too upright to me. I'm going to try choking up on it a bit from the fairway this year and see if it gives me better contact.

Back