question about set up when using the driver

chas

Reaction score
Handicap
i have a general question about setup when addressing the ball when using my driver, do you have the heal of the club resting on the ground with the toe in the air or do you have the sole of the club on the ground.

The reason i ask is i am having problems wth consistency with my new zstar driver and have differing results using the 2 methods above. I have a bit of a slice so i have set the club up to 2*closed and its helped with my slice and with the heal resting on the ground and the toe in the air i can hit it pretty straight, but i does not go very far. If i raise my hands up a bit and the sole of the club is resting on the ground at address i seem to get a much better contact and get a pretty decent launch with much more distance, but the ball then tends to tail off to the right at the end of the ball flight, the ball goes straight for most of the flight the tails off to the right, so i tend to aim a bit more left and this helps.

So in short what the correct way to do it or do i just go with what works best for me.

The thing that works for me is the club head is completely off of the ground. It is hovering and is just what I have done with the driver for a while.

more_distance_3.jpg

this is pretty much preference. you have guys like fowler and j byrd that have their hands so low the could almost tie their shoes and then others such as sergio who starts so upright that the shaft is almost perpendicular to the ground. there are also guys like bubba who still hover the driver. my advice would be pick which one you like best/ is most comfortable, then work on mechanics and fundamentals to straighten your flight out

I think a straight flight a little right at the end is swing plane. I could be wrong but i think its a little steep and out to in.

I also struggled with a slice with the driver. I set the club head to be in a natural posture with the club head hovering off the ground with the ball more forward in my stance. That way my arms and such "know" where to be instead of reaching or pulling in to try to hit the sweet spot. I had a issue with hitting the heal or swinging outside in causing a slice. Got told this during a lesson and made a night and day difference.

I would get some help from a PGA Teaching Professional. A live lesson would be the best way to find out the correct address position as well as correcting the slice issue.

I would get some help from a PGA Teaching Professional. A live lesson would be the best way to find out the correct address position as well as correcting the slice issue.

i am getting lessons from my local pga professional, i have had about 4 so far and have another 5 to come so i will get him to help out with my swing with my new driver. I only got the club last week so i have not had a lesson yet using it. I palyed today for 9 holes and driving was eratic at best. I plan to visit the range tomorrow to mess about with the driver to get it set up the way i like best. At the end of my 9 holes today i just started to hit a few old balls away i actualy had a few of the best drives i have struckwith my hands abit higher and the olny fault was the small tail at the end to the right. They weer still playable drives but i would have liked them to be a bit closer to where i was aiming.

The thing that works for me is the club head is completely off of the ground. It is hovering and is just what I have done with the driver for a while.

more_distance_3.jpg

I could never do that. I remember trying it and it just felt amazingly weird. Like it for some reason made me quick to the ball and resulted in bad shots but when I didn't try it I hot my driver fine

i am getting lessons from my local pga professional, i have had about 4 so far and have another 5 to come so i will get him to help out with my swing with my new driver. I only got the club last week so i have not had a lesson yet using it. I palyed today for 9 holes and driving was eratic at best. I plan to visit the range tomorrow to mess about with the driver to get it set up the way i like best. At the end of my 9 holes today i just started to hit a few old balls away i actualy had a few of the best drives i have struckwith my hands abit higher and the olny fault was the small tail at the end to the right. They weer still playable drives but i would have liked them to be a bit closer to where i was aiming.

Sounds good. I'm a big believer in live outdoor lessons with a qualified professional. It is the only way forward.

more_distance_3.jpg

Ditto, I have "hovered" for several years.

I could never do that. I remember trying it and it just felt amazingly weird. Like it for some reason made me quick to the ball and resulted in bad shots but when I didn't try it I hot my driver fine

a guy I play with often does it, and man does he hit some monster drives, its a very penetrating ball flight and seldomly ever baloons....hes been waiting for it to dry out so he can start getting some roll

I tend to hover the driver just off the ground....if it was good enough for Jack, it's good enough for me

Sounds good. I'm a big believer in live outdoor lessons with a qualified professional. It is the only way forward.

wouldnt say its the only way forward. i too would promote a lesson or two, but a lot of people can benefit by a lookover here and there or a quick tune-up instead of hour long lessons. i honestly prefer the natural route and then getting the minor things looked at/fixed instead of having a more "manufactured" swing

One thing that always helped me when I had a new driver in my hands is remember not to try and absolutely kill the ball off the tee. Just hit it the same way you did you old driver and go from there. Sometimes if I'm demoing a driver or trying out a buddies the first few shots are all over the place because I'm overdoing it trying to send the ball into orbit, usually if I calm down remember my setup and rhythm it all falls back into place. But too answer your original question, I am a "hoverer" myself.

Back