Question about shafts

Z.Furiak

Reaction score
Handicap
Right now I'm gaming a 13* Callaway FT-iQ with the stock Mitsubishi Fubiki shaft regular flex. I love the amount of carry distance I get but if I'm lucky I only get about 2 or 3 yards of roll. My ss is somewhere between 95-100 and I have a fairly smooth tempo. I don't have a consistent miss. My goal is to bring down my ballflight, add some distance with roll and try to get a consistent miss. I was wondering if going to a stiff/ low launching shaft would be too much? Any recommendations? I know the right thing to do is go get fit but unfortunately that is hard for me to do. None of my local courses do fittings and the closest place is about 4 hours away.

First if you have access you should get your swing on a monitor or get a proper fitting. From what you are describing I think reg. flex may be too soft for you. The fact that you have a high ball and misses in both sides lead me to my conclusion.
If you don't have access them you might think about demoing some stiff shafted drivers and seeing that helps.

Thanks for the replies Hawk and Tadashi

While there's no local fitting places, is there anywhere to do demo's? Between 13 loft and a high launching shaft, it sounds like you've just got flat up to much launch angle and likely to much spin.
Given you're missing both ways though, it sounds like the general flex is spot on (too weak or too stiff will give consistent misses). That being said, all R or S shafts don't play equal. Don't be afraid to monkey around with the flex on different clubs, especially as a smooth swinger. Softer playing shafts, you'll want to jump up a flex (for example the stock shaft in the Callaway Razr Fit) where as with stiffer overall shafts, you'll want to drop flex (like the R11s TP with the RUL).

While there's no local fitting places, is there anywhere to do demo's? Between 13 loft and a high launching shaft, it sounds like you've just got flat up to much launch angle and likely to much spin.
Given you're missing both ways though, it sounds like the general flex is spot on (too weak or too stiff will give consistent misses). That being said, all R or S shafts don't play equal. Don't be afraid to monkey around with the flex on different clubs, especially as a smooth swinger. Softer playing shafts, you'll want to jump up a flex (for example the stock shaft in the Callaway Razr Fit) where as with stiffer overall shafts, you'll want to drop flex (like the R11s TP with the RUL).

Unfortunately, none of the proshop's around me have any driver above 10.5 with anything other than a senior shaft in them. Should I be looking for a regular flex, low-mid launch, and low spin shaft? Or would moving up to a stiff mid-high launch shaft have the same effect.

With your swing speed you should be in a stiff flex, by going to a stiff flex it will bring the ball flight down. The fubuki shaft that comes in the ft-iq is a made for shaft that has a low kick point with high torque, this combo with your swing speed greatly contributes to high spin rates leading to high ball flight and no roll. I would look at moving to a 10.5 with a mid kickpoint shaft that has a medium stiff tip. This combo will lead to a medium ball flight with mid spin that will not take much away from your carry distance but add some extra roll distance. Upgrading to a cobra amp or a cleveland xl 290 will give you this combo at a light weight.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Back