Question About Shim's ?

TMSHACKS

Bridgestone Staffer
Reaction score
So I am getting my R11 reshafted and the normal stock r11 has a .350 tip however the guy at the local shop only has 335 tips but puts Shim's as he says it in the club to make a fit and be tight in a sense making it a .350 tip. Is this okay practice or should I be worried. Ive always gone to these guys and I trust them, but I just dont wanna be teeing off one day and the head flies off. My luck it would be a tee box in front of a lake and that would be the time it would fly off.

Any help would be great...

Shims are used in many applications, but I am curious why in this case? What shaft are you changing out to that does not fit?

he carries some Aldilas and I have always hit them well unfortunately... he doesnt have any in stock in 350 only in 335... he said that he will put a shim on the end and it will then fit like a 350...

Im all for trying things because its really not costing me anything ...

Aldila makes a lot of different shafts, have you thought about an actual fitting where you can get the perfect shaft for your game?

ive thought about it to some degree but not sure my local shop does shaft fitting. Closest golftec is a good hike from me.

JB also i have a question if the new shaft is a 335 couldnt he just get a different size tip to fit with the shaft or would that not work ?

.335 to .350 shimming is common and if its anyone who is worth a lick you'll have no problems. I've done it many times myself.

.335 to .350 shimming is common and if its anyone who is worth a lick you'll have no problems. I've done it many times myself.

Thanks jman i appreciate it gives me some confidence and the guy is very respected by many in the area in the clubmaking dept.

My Kusala that I had in my old Supertri was shimmed. Never a problem for me. I'm not a crazy fast swinger though.

Are you in a hurry to get this new shaft? If not just go ahead and wait for him to get a .350 tip in. Shims work no problem, i've used them times before. But if you can wait then wait. Also are you having him put another r11 tip on the shaft so you can interchange them?

yes, that is the plan...

obviously if I hit it well it will not be changed

If you can wait for him to get the right size in then I say wait. If something is to go wrong and you need to contact TM they will immediately call attention to the small tip size.

Back