Question about THP events

Scott F

I Putter Around
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
At events like the Morgan Cup and other THP experiences, is a participant required to be part of the competition? I love playing golf, playing on nice courses and having social outings but being in tournaments or competitions in team events isn’t something I enjoy at all. It has nothing to do with skill levels. I consider my self to be an above average player, but I don’t carry a handicap and have no intention of ever having one. I wouldn’t want to be the guy who causes my team to lose because I don’t care about my score. Does this mean these events are not for me? Everything else about them really appeals to me and except for the tournament aspect I’d really like to take part.

At events like the Morgan Cup and other THP experiences, is a participant required to be part of the competition? I love playing golf, playing on nice courses and having social outings but being in tournaments or competitions in team events isn’t something I enjoy at all. It has nothing to do with skill levels. I consider my self to be an above average player, but I don’t carry a handicap and have no intention of ever having one. I wouldn’t want to be the guy who causes my team to lose because I don’t care about my score. Does this mean these events are not for me? Everything else about them really appeals to me and except for the tournament aspect I’d really like to take part.

Yes, that would mean events are not for you. While events are about more than just the golf, the golf and competition is the main reason for them, so I don't think it would be something you would enjoy.

Yes a participant is required to be part of the competition IF there is a competition involved. Not all THP Experiences are competitions but they all do have one thing in common...they will all blow your mind!

Thanks for the reply. I‘m sorry to see that, but I’d never want to take the place of someone who likes to compete. I’ll still be joining the Albatross Club mainly because it’s for a good cause.

The co-owner and a staff member say otherwise but I'm going to be the contrarian. I think your question infers a level of seriousness about the competitions. Not all events are created equal. Do you ever play for a soda or $5 a side? If so, then I think you are fine for many, if not most, of the events.

The co-owner and a staff member say otherwise but I'm going to be the contrarian. I think your question infers a level of seriousness about the competitions. Not all events are created equal. Do you ever play for a soda or $5 a side? If so, then I think you are fine for many, if not most, of the events.
I was reading the thread about how long rounds were taking at the Morgan Cup a lot of it due to taking extra time because of the competition. Seemed they were taking it pretty seriously.

I was reading the thread about how long rounds were taking at the Morgan Cup a lot of it due to taking extra time because of the competition. Seemed they were taking it pretty seriously.

The Morgan Cup in particular is a bit different, although that still goes well with in the just have fun playbook.

Not all of our events have competition.

THP has soooooo many experiences and not all of them are about the competition. One of my favorite experiences was the Ultimate Weekend with True Temper the last two years and the golf was all about the fun.

The only competition was making the best drink.

I spoke too soon, many in here are right, not all THP events revolve around a competition. At the end of the day they are all about having fun, but some are definitely about keeping score and having a winner, while others are about something completely different and golf is just a bonus to the experience.

I just wrote a big long comment and for some reason it didn't post. The summary of it was don't worry about the competition. As the MC was my first event I was so overly concerned about the competition side leading up to the event that when I got to the actual event I realized I had worried about something that truly wasn't a big deal. All the awesome stuff we receive from the event was great and all, but in all honesty, the people you meet at the events are the real prize. I'm similar to you in that I don't play competitively, I don't bet with friends or my foursome, Sometimes I keep score, sometimes I don't and just this year I figured out my handicap, just so I could know what it was. That all being said The best part of the MC was the equipment, course, and the people. I don't think I'm too far off the reservation when I say, the actual competition came second to the people that I met and the friendships I created. I never had a desire to go to Texas but after I met the Texan's on my team, I want to go down there to play golf with them again. It may be different for @JB and @GolferGal but to me, the events are about growing the golfing community and the THP community. As well there are ton's of events that are put on by THP, some have competition and some don't. Either way, don't let your idea's about competition golf lead you away from meeting amazing people at these THP events!

I really think the level of competition depends on the event. You have those like the Morgan Cup and Granddaddy that have a high level of competition and many others that do not.

To me, while I am extremely competitive and live for competition, the largest takeaway in applying for and enjoying the THP Experiences are about meeting many great individuals, playing great courses, enjoying events that we could not otherwise be a part of, and most importantly being able to share your honest opinion of the equipment and experience back to the forum here and on multiple sites.

I was lucky enough to be a part of The Odyssey Experience back in 2019, although we had some competition (the winning team got to garage their Toulon putter while the losing team still got their choice of a Toulon putter), the competition played a distance 4th to the enjoying the people I met and still talk to, the fact that we were able to have a fitting session with Sean Toulon, Joe Toulon, Luke Williams, and Austie Rollinson. The red carpet that was laid out by Odyssey and THP is something that I will never forget and like to brag about to all I play golf with every time they ask to see my custom, Toulon Putter.

I wouldn't say competition should sway you against entering THP events. Sure, you should pick and choose which events are best suited to you, but as long as you are looking to have fun with a great group of people, willing to play fun golf at course many of us don't usually or can't play, willing to tell others here and local about your experiences, and giving honest opinions on the equipment used and given during the event. I would say join up and have a blast if selected.

I really don't think you can go wrong with a THP experience. There is much more to it than golf, with golf being a part of it. The friendships made will last a lifetime if you want them too. It has been almost a year since The Grandaddy last year and I talk with my teammates every day.

I don't know Frank, I remember you running down the fairway to tell Curtis you guys were one stroke down......that was pretty competitive ;):cool:

As others have said, the level of competition varies at THP Experiences. I was fortunate enough to be selected to the Budget Golf Championship last year, and although I don't normally play golf competitively, I am a fairly competitive person. When they selected the teams, ended up they put the two oldest guys in the event on the same team, myself (61 at the time), and @jim54 (I think he was 60). We both went into it hoping for lightning to strike, but knowing that the odds were really stacked against us. Ended up that I didn't play up to my handicap, and Jim struggled with brand new clubs that weren't built to the specs he was fit into. So we weren't playing as well as we could, the "youngsters" on the other teams were regularly bombing drives 50 - 100 yds past ours, and I still had one of the best weekends of my golfing life. The course was amazing, the golf was still tons of fun, and the people were the kind that become immediate friends. Sure I would have loved to have had a real shot at the first place prizes, but then again, @jim54 was an incredible teammate, and I wouldn't change a thing (other than maybe just playing better).

i was invited to play at the thp event in 2018 but there was no competition. it was a shaft event...meaning we got to try out a bunch of different sets of irons with different shafts. it was just for fun no competition at all. i think that type of event might be suited best for you. just a bunch of guys trying out different sets and having a good time

edit: i mean they got to test out a bunch of sets with tru temper shafts....i got called home the night before the event. so i am jonesing for another event.

Last edited:
I don't know Frank, I remember you running down the fairway to tell Curtis you guys were one stroke down......that was pretty competitive ;):cool:
Yeah, maybe not a highlight for me. But in my defense...nah

THP Events are about golf yes but it's more than that. I've met some of the greatest guys thru here & a lot of them live in my state & are local. I wouldn't have known them otherwise. Like @JonD @ChristopherKee @moosejaa @Scrap Iron @dwchockey13 Well not @JohnSinVA so much :ROFLMAO: Even his blood relation is OK sometimes @Stemmy66 :rolleyes: It's making lasting lifelong friendships ... golf is just an added bonus (y)

As others have said, the level of competition varies at THP Experiences. I was fortunate enough to be selected to the Budget Golf Championship last year, and although I don't normally play golf competitively, I am a fairly competitive person. When they selected the teams, ended up they put the two oldest guys in the event on the same team, myself (61 at the time), and @jim54 (I think he was 60). We both went into it hoping for lightning to strike, but knowing that the odds were really stacked against us. Ended up that I didn't play up to my handicap, and Jim struggled with brand new clubs that weren't built to the specs he was fit into. So we weren't playing as well as we could, the "youngsters" on the other teams were regularly bombing drives 50 - 100 yds past ours, and I still had one of the best weekends of my golfing life. The course was amazing, the golf was still tons of fun, and the people were the kind that become immediate friends. Sure I would have loved to have had a real shot at the first place prizes, but then again, @jim54 was an incredible teammate, and I wouldn't change a thing (other than maybe just playing better).
We had fun no matter what that was fo sure. Getting to meet and hang out with our housemates was a extra special treat and I would do it all over again even ending of dead last, which was inevitable unless we did find lightning in a bottle. (Not the beer bottle ha ha)

I would say all the events are more about getting out with other THP members and doing your due diligence for the sponsors then any competition aspect. Don’t get me wrong, you want to do the best for your team and the goal is to win but it’s the memories and friendships made along the way that are the most meaningful.

I was lucky enough to participate in the 2018 MC. My team lost but we were not sad, mad, etc. We were ecstatic for our brothers on the other team that won. Most of us from both teams are still talking regularly in a group text two and a half years later. We talk about golf, work, family, etc. We crack on each other and laugh and we pray for each other when needed. What I am trying to say is the competition is to a certain degree secondary to other aspects of the events.

I have been part of two experiences. The first was last year’s Morgan Cup, which everybody who has spent any time on the forum knows about, particularly where this year’s Morgan Cup was last weekend. However, I was part of the True Sports sponsored Small Batch experience last October. There is a thread on it, but it was loads of fun and educational. We all got to make our very own, one of a kind driver shaft and then we played a friendly round of golf at Aviara. There is no reason you could not participate in that type of event, given your parameters.

Everyone has their own interests and goals, but I would encourage anyone interested in a THP experience to give it a try even if the focus is on a competititon. When I took up golf, I somehow found THP, joined, and was selected for an event. I didn't have a handicap and honestly had no idea why I would even want one. But I needed one for the event. I signed up for a handicap and started turning in some scores. I was an idiot and only turned in scores I liked (vanity :rolleyes:), but I showed up with a handicap. My expectation for the event was to learn about equipment and play a new course in a fun location. Turns out there wasn't much focus at all on the equipment, and the competition was the really big deal. I was nervous as heck but had a great time meeting other THPers and playing as a member of a team. In fact, it was amazing. That experience ultimately transformed how I value and pursue golf. And it isn't like I am now all about competition. Rather, that competition showed me things about myself, camaraderie, and the power of shared experience that further fueled my golf passion. I showed up for that event as someone interested in golf. I left a golfer and a THPer. (y)

THP Events are about golf yes but it's more than that. I've met some of the greatest guys thru here & a lot of them live in my state & are local. I wouldn't have known them otherwise. Like @JonD @ChristopherKee @moosejaa @Scrap Iron @dwchockey13 Well not @JohnSinVA so much :ROFLMAO: Even his blood relation is OK sometimes @Stemmy66 :rolleyes: It's making lasting lifelong friendships ... golf is just an added bonus (y)
Clearly, you just like those THPers that don't talk sh$& to you.... Next time we play, I'll do my best not to get inside your head ;) Miss you too!

If you want to talk about the friendships you can make from these THP events I’ll give you 2 examples:
@golvinnutva was there when I got engaged to my fiancé, we took a trip up to VA and he graciously let me stay at his house and helped with the planning!
And @MWard quite simply may be one of the nicest humans out there.
I met him at a ball testing event and he knew I was struggling and ended up teaching me the game of golf. He helped me find the place I am renting now, helped me move, and comes over to help if there’s ever an issue. We golf all the time and quite simply I consider him one of my best friends. So much so that he is the best man at my wedding.
6 other THP’ers are also invited to my wedding, so If your on the fence about THP events because of the competition... don’t be, you’ll meet some amazing people and lifelong friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back