Question for the Rules Gang - feel free to add...

InTheRough

Course Botanist
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 16.2
Okay, you're on the fairway. You're making a practice swing. The toe of your club clips your ball and knocks it across the fairway. You had not intent to advance the ball. Does the stroke count? Answer: No, because you had no intent to advance the ball. You have to mark the ball's position, retrieve the ball, and recreate its original lie and then play it.

But what happens if when you did that it skittered across the fairway into say a water hazard? It's gone. You had no intent to advance the ball. Do you get to replace it with a new one without penalty? Or did you screw the pooch?

Yes, you get to replace the ball.

Nope it is a stroke. Only on the tee or green do you get to replace the ball. You have to put the ball back or it is another penalty

Nope it is a stroke. Only on the tee or green do you get to replace the ball. You have to put the ball back or it is another penalty
Are you sure? I thought the rule changed.

I know you have to put the ball back where it was. My question was that if the ball was unintentionally moved and say it unintentionally went into the water hazard, do you get to put a new ball in play in the original place and recreate its original lie without penalty?

I know you have to put the ball back where it was. My question was that if the ball was unintentionally moved and say it unintentionally went into the water hazard, do you get to put a new ball in play in the original place and recreate its original lie?
I would think so. If it was a "one ball" tournament, you would have to use the same make/model of ball.

I could be wrong. I don't take practice swings anywhere near my ball.

Ok you didn't make a stroke but it is a penalty.

• Anywhere Else: This category would include a ball that lies in a bunker, a penalty area, or anywhere in the general area (defined as anywhere on the golf course that is not the teeing area, the putting green, a bunker or a penalty area). When your ball lies in any of these areas, it is already in play. If you then take a practice swing and cause your ball to move, you still have not made a stroke, but you will get a one-stroke penalty for moving your ball in play. The ball must be replaced on its original spot. This is covered under Rule 9.4. If the player instead plays the ball from where it was moved to after their practice swing, it becomes a two-stroke penalty (or a loss-of-hole penalty in match play) and the player may or may not be required to correct their mistake (see Rule 14.7 for more information).

Ok you didn't make a stroke but it is a penalty.

• Anywhere Else: This category would include a ball that lies in a bunker, a penalty area, or anywhere in the general area (defined as anywhere on the golf course that is not the teeing area, the putting green, a bunker or a penalty area). When your ball lies in any of these areas, it is already in play. If you then take a practice swing and cause your ball to move, you still have not made a stroke, but you will get a one-stroke penalty for moving your ball in play. The ball must be replaced on its original spot. This is covered under Rule 9.4. If the player instead plays the ball from where it was moved to after their practice swing, it becomes a two-stroke penalty (or a loss-of-hole penalty in match play) and the player may or may not be required to correct their mistake (see Rule 14.7 for more information).
Huh?

What am I getting wrong here?

Screenshot_20210515-180250.png

It's a stroke(s) to be counted even if accidentally touched in the fairway. Just like @echico explained.

No mulligans once you leave the tee box.....
I'm pretty sure that rule has change.

None of those exceptions are a practice swing

According to this interpretation by the USGA, there is no penalty if the practice swing occurs on the tee or on the green; however, if it occurs anywhere else, the ball must be replaced in its original position and a one stroke penalty applies.

News to me too - I thought that the 2019 revision allowed the ball to be replaced after any practice stroke anywhere with no penalty.

According to this interpretation by the USGA, there is no penalty if the practice swing occurs on the tee or on the green; however, if it occurs anywhere else, the ball must be replaced in its original position and a one stroke penalty applies.

News to me too - I thought that the 2019 revision allowed the ball to be replaced after any practice stroke anywhere with no penalty.
Don't improve your lie by doing so tee or green. Elsewhere it's definitely possible.

Back