Question for True Motion about chipping/pitching

Can you shoot same shots with the camera face on for me? I need to see how the handle is being returned to the ball but here’s some things to think about and try...have fun experimenting:

What was goal with ball way back? It’s Waaay too far back for my taste. I mean you can keep doing it that way if you want, but your margin for error is so small with that far back ball placement, and you are exposing the leading edge (difficult to control) and not using bounce to your advantage. Simplify your life my man! Keep it centered. 😉

It looks like your technique is pretty darn solid otherwise (still need to see FO), as far as how you turn through the ball, 🥰 I love how you keep turning. 💵

I would like to see your ball position more centered and then move it at most one ball forward to one back, that will let you better judge distance and spin. I would also like to see a touch less upper body and a little surfing with your legs to control launch. But I want to see FO to confirm. We also have students add varying grip pressure to control the face and acceleration but that’s tough to explain without our video. Let’s table pressure for now.

Try these two shots and report back 😂:

1. Try to put it one ball back of center, pick a spot on the green try to land it on a couple yards and let it roll to see how far each club rolls out. Go from LW to 8-iron and test roll out. (That shot u sent looks downhill so mind that as well.) that’s how you hit that low roller. Also try to fly it on different distances and watch roll out. For me, I can land my LW on and it will typically roll half the distance I flew it. On a flat green. So 2:1, my SW will fly 10 yds and roll 10, so 1:1,GW is 1:2, etc. You have to calibrate your distances and roll out.

2. To hit a little nipper, that spins a ton, open up your body and club face and come across it you turning. Keep your same technique. Try to fly one to five feet and see how it spins. The more aggressive you swing left the more spin you’ll get. You have the technique, just adjust how much you open to control spin and how much face is open to control direction, start with 20 degrees and vary it. Try different wedges. For that lie you have pick something with a bit less bounce. And if the rough is thicker choose same technique but more bounce wedge.
I'm curious about the ball placement. I was taught to chip with ball near my back foot, just inside the heal which seems consistent from videos I have watched. I saw a Phil Mickelson Chipping video where he talks about always having the ball off the front or back foot and never centered. Now I play some shots off the front foot for a bit more loft but never play anything centered.

Are these just different schools of teaching? My miss chipping is digging the leading edge too much into the ground sometimes so reading this I'm wondering if that's from playing it too far back or forward. I'm pretty new to the game and have never had a professional lesson so forgive me if that is a dumb question.

I'm curious about the ball placement. I was taught to chip with ball near my back foot, just inside the heal which seems consistent from videos I have watched. I saw a Phil Mickelson Chipping video where he talks about always having the ball off the front or back foot and never centered. Now I play some shots off the front foot for a bit more loft but never play anything centered.

Are these just different schools of teaching? My miss chipping is digging the leading edge too much into the ground sometimes so reading this I'm wondering if that's from playing it too far back or forward. I'm pretty new to the game and have never had a professional lesson so forgive me if that is a dumb question.

Sounds like you have it way too far back...Phil is very old school and exposes the leading edge. Phil has really good hands, and I would never teach someone that from the beginning because it's not's repeatable for the Average Joe golfer.

I cringe when I see a lot of "free" videos out there where people claim to know what they're doing. That's why there are so many bad golfers, because people watch YouTube and think they can coach themselves. No offense, but I highly recommend you stay away from YouTube and look for one system and a plan for how to improve. Right now, we have a pretty Basic Academy going and plan on expanding, so our "BASIC" students are getting a ton of help from us for a great price. Check it out. TrueMotionGolf

As far as being New to the Game, I highly suggest you find a coach 👆and work with them to get better. You need feedback and see video of what you're doing. You may want to check out an article I wrote about how to get better as well. It Takes a Village Article

Sounds like you have it way too far back...Phil is very old school and exposes the leading edge. Phil has really good hands, and I would never teach someone that from the beginning because it's not's repeatable for the Average Joe golfer.

I cringe when I see a lot of "free" videos out there where people claim to know what they're doing. That's why there are so many bad golfers, because people watch YouTube and think they can coach themselves. No offense, but I highly recommend you stay away from YouTube and look for one system and a plan for how to improve. Right now, we have a pretty Basic Academy going and plan on expanding, so our "BASIC" students are getting a ton of help from us for a great price. Check it out. TrueMotionGolf

As far as being New to the Game, I highly suggest you find a coach 👆and work with them to get better. You need feedback and see video of what you're doing. You may want to check out an article I wrote about how to get better as well. It Takes a Village Article
Thanks man, I will check it out. I have definitely dialed back the youtube stuff as I was just confusing myself and had no idea if I was implementing things right. Finding a coach and getting fit are my two top priorities right now for sure.

Thanks man, I will check it out. I have definitely dialed back the youtube stuff as I was just confusing myself and had no idea if I was implementing things right. Finding a coach and getting fit are my two top priorities right now for sure.
I would also recommend you have a PLAN! Let us know, that's what we're here for. I'm happy to hop on a call, or look at your swing if you'd like.

Here's the 'Modern Chip' method.

Thought I would do a verbal update on this. Move the ball to what feels like just off my left and step, with my feet no more than 6 inches apart. Which feels like a lateral shift to me is probably just transitioning my weight a little bit. Contacts very much feels like it does on full swings, and I am getting an absurd amount of spin. Like, checking range balls in one hop kinda spin if it’s into the slope.

Into the grain shots seems to be the best practice, because it’s terrible. Any bad contact is magnified, and I can absolutely feel the bounce at work.

Thanks again @TrueMotionMatt!

Thought I would do a verbal update on this. Move the ball to what feels like just off my left and step, with my feet no more than 6 inches apart. Which feels like a lateral shift to me is probably just transitioning my weight a little bit. Contacts very much feels like it does on full swings, and I am getting an absurd amount of spin. Like, checking range balls in one hop kinda spin if it’s into the slope.

Into the grain shots seems to be the best practice, because it’s terrible. Any bad contact is magnified, and I can absolutely feel the bounce at work.

Great to hear that you were able to translate what I diagnosed into some great results very quickly. Once I saw your video it was really easy for me to figure out what was going on. This worked out well, I'm glad I could help you hit those little nipper spinners and control your roll out better. 💪

Back