Question on backswing

zoveracker

Member of the 2021 Paradise Morgan Cup Team
Reaction score
Handicap
Where do you think about pointing the butt of the shaft at the beginning of the backswing to parallel prior to reaching the top?
I feel like I am most inconsistent with that part of my backswing and wanted to get you guys/girls thoughts.

See my avatar?

Yeah I’ll be moving on. Good luck though, lol.

I don’t think about my club at all during my swing.
Before I step to the ball:
I think of a slow deliberate take away. Not rushing my tempo. I’m working to get better lower body rotation by focusing on my knee driving to the ball at impact, and the back of my lead hand facing my target.
That is my golf swing.

I try not to think of any of that at address. But I’m a 26 capper. Of course I do think WAY to much

In my opinion you're overthinking it. Why get so technical? Golf is hard enough without delving into all the finite details. Just play golf and have fun.

You shouldn't be concerned with it. It is an unnecessary thought to have in your head during the swing.

I am steep and then flatten in the transition

I don’t think about my club at all during my swing.
Before I step to the ball:
I think of a slow deliberate take away. Not rushing my tempo. I’m working to get better lower body rotation by focusing on my knee driving to the ball at impact, and the back of my lead hand facing my target.
That is my golf swing.

I try not to think of any of that at address. But I’m a 26 capper. Of course I do think WAY to much

Well hell, if we’re going to get all technical.

I’m done with inside to outside.

f**k that. I still swing 115++. Straight back straight through.

That’s my thought until I get below 105. I’ll rethink it then. I tried to retire my swing into an old guys swing when I still hit 133 CHS.

Nah. Anything north of 110 and you don’t have to care about shape as long as you center it and it starts on one side of a FW and lands in the same one.

Power fade. I’m done ******* up my swing to hit a low draw. I’ll worry about that in 5-10 if I even have to. I’ve sucked too much for my caring the past couple years. Mostly because I’m trying to groom a swing. I was a plus 2+ at one point going straight back, straight through.

High fade or straight. Occasional yank if I got fast but I can also hit a sweeping big hook on command. 91.2% of the time.

You should only be thinking about things like that on the range. Use cameras or mirrors to learn what it feels like to you for the club or grip to be on plane.

When you are on the course, pick a target and swing the club to it. Technical on the range and athletic on the course.

You should only be thinking about things like that on the range. Use cameras or mirrors to learn what it feels like to you for the club or grip to be on plane.

When you are on the course, pick a target and swing the club to it. Technical on the range and athletic on the course.

I appreciate it, for sure. Any insight is always welcome. I’m pretty sure if I could see a course 50+ times a year I’d be back firmly in the + catagory.

Getting out 12-15 times with 5 practice sessions is going to leave me wildly sucky. Early summer of 2018 I was on the tee at 18 -9. 8 pars, 9 birds, and crickets.

Blocked it OOB. Par and I tie the best score ever posted in my county. Nope! I wanted the bird, and why not? I’d owned the course to that point.

Screw it, I’ve been a big ass baby about competing ever since I totally sucked in a THP event. Bad. It was bad.

No more. I’m removing that monkey this year.

I will compete and dominate my local county tournament, Richland County Ohio later this summer. I will compete in the scratch division. Most of the folks will ask me where I’ve been, lol. Well I spent a couple years trying to not die. I’ve nevwr won it. I’m doing that this year.

Copy and hold me accountable. I’m in for it. I competed for it every year until the past 2.

It’ll take two slightly better than par rounds to win. One of them on a stupid easy course I should be well under. The other will be a fight for par.

I’ve talked. Now I’ll walk. Hold me to this. Someone bring it up every once in a while. It’ll drive me.

You shouldn't be concerned with it. It is an unnecessary thought to have in your head during the swing.

thanks for the advice, but unfortunately for some reason, every time that I take the club back I feel like I take it back differently each time.

thanks also for all the other input, probably was too vague of a question

I think when I have a clear day, I am going to take a video at the range and post it for community input.

thanks for the advice, but unfortunately for some reason, every time that I take the club back I feel like I take it back differently each time.

I think when I have a clear day, I am going to take a video at the range and post it for community input.
That’s a good approach. There is a lot of helpful eyes here.

That would be best, easier to help a swing when it can be seen.

There’s a lot of good advice on this community. You run the gamut with me at one end that once taught golf, to those that now give much better advice but haven’t taught golf.

I’d take their advice over me. I have no concepts of the “modern swing”.

I can tell a really athletic young man how to get over 130CHS but how to make more than 1/8 straight is beyond me.

(My Kids at equal ages of a young 14 both have hit 118 CHS, so I can teach that). How to work a good golf swing? Yeah not so sure. Lol.

As an example middle son is + (if he bothered to keep a HC, but it’s well above .+). He has hit 120 CHS at 14. He plays around 105 to control it.

He did fly a 3w over 290 into wind on 18 because he had to birdie it in state qualifying. He made the putt but a team got bumped so the score to get in was 75. He shot a 76.

I hope he or I NEVER settle for 76 again. That’s a score to hit when everything is f’ed at his level and my almost level, ha. (I’m good sub 80 but don’t give it a lot of work, or rather haven’t been able to-someone call my **** on the county tournament and I will win it-I’m tired of half assing this-I’m winning something in ‘21.

Where do you think about pointing the butt of the shaft at the beginning of the backswing to parallel prior to reaching the top?
I feel like I am most inconsistent with that part of my backswing and wanted to get you guys/girls thoughts.
I honestly don't think about it. I've never been a real student of the swing as far as breaking it down into positions and where I should be at each of them - probably to my detriment, but it is what it is. I read some of it saying "at P2 the clubhead should be pointing x degrees in x direction, with a y degree flexion of the wrists and a z degree angle between the right upper and lower arm", and my eyes just glaze over.

Either way, I fully agree with those who say the course isn't the place to think about it. If you're going to practice that stuff, do it in front of a mirror at home and/or on the driving range, but don't bring it out on the course - you'll drive yourself crazy with it. The worst thing I can do to myself on the course is start trying to overthink my swing, it goes straight down the tubes as soon as I start doing it.

my backswing thought is don't sway backwards, make a good hip and shoulder turn. More than that and my head would explode

my backswing thought is don't sway backwards, make a good hip and shoulder turn. More than that and my head would explode
My backswing thought lately is just "tempo". If I stay smooth, I put a decent move on the ball more often. Any more than one or two backswing thoughts and I short-circuit myself.

Point it steep - meaning butt slightly inside of ball and take it to the top. In the transition, shallow it and the butt will point slightly outside ball. Golf is a game of opposites - take it back shallow and it will go steep, take it back steep and it has a propensity to flatten/shallow but if the propensity is not there by relaxing - shallow it.:LOL:

Last edited:
My backswing thought lately is just "tempo". If I stay smooth, I put a decent move on the ball more often. Any more than one or two backswing thoughts and I short-circuit myself.
When I am "off" it is usually just as you say, tempo

So @tucsondivots

WTF?

You don’t post on here and eye roll me??

I am mad and in a mood. You aren’t helping. Post something so I can tell you that you’re wrong and it’d be wise to not speak further.

Otherwise roll your eyes at yourself and leave me out of it. I’m in a mood so you choose your beating.

I’ll play you straight up for 1k a hole. Split the travel with you if you win, otherwise on you. No HC. No warm up rounds. Show up and I send you home unhappy.

Otherwise cram it if you have no opinion. (Yes I know I’m getting close to what’s acceptable here, sorry?)

I’m in a mood and think I’m in the appropriate thread? (Checked and I’m not, so doubly sorry to staff)

That said I’m in a mood. If you want debate find my thread that you haven’t posted in, Late Night Musings with Me.

I’m not the best entertainment but I will toast your ass on their if you wanna step over. Otherwise peace and roll your eyes at someone you would in real life. You wouldn’t at me. Not tonight for sure, ever I really doubt too.

Find me there. We’ll discuss why it’s not wise to make me all twitchy.......

I like to have one piece take away to the leg with club head staying outside the hands. Then keeping the but pointing at or inside ball line to the top. Like someone said earlier, it feels steep in the BS.

A drill is putting and alignment stick on your club and then during the backswing and keeping it in contact with the left leg going up.

So my lesson was to keep the hands further away from the target line than the club head so I could rotate. I don't think about where the butt points, but that I have the clubhead pretty square at top. As others suggest video tells the story, do your positions in the backswing lead to a good impact position

That is the most interesting answer to my quest
So @tucsondivots

WTF?

You don’t post on here and eye roll me??

I am mad and in a mood. You aren’t helping. Post something so I can tell you that you’re wrong and it’d be wise to not speak further.

Otherwise roll your eyes at yourself and leave me out of it. I’m in a mood so you choose your beating.

I’ll play you straight up for 1k a hole. Split the travel with you if you win, otherwise on you. No HC. No warm up rounds. Show up and I send you home unhappy.

Otherwise cram it if you have no opinion. (Yes I know I’m getting close to what’s acceptable here, sorry?)

I’m in a mood and think I’m in the appropriate thread? (Checked and I’m not, so doubly sorry to staff)

That said I’m in a mood. If you want debate find my thread that you haven’t posted in, Late Night Musings with Me.

I’m not the best entertainment but I will toast your ass on their if you wanna step over. Otherwise peace and roll your eyes at someone you would in real life. You wouldn’t at me. Not tonight for sure, ever I really doubt too.

Find me there. We’ll discuss why it’s not wise to make me all twitchy.......

that is the most interesting answer I could have imagined for my question.

Is this a sex question?

Back