Question on Legality

Steve2100

Manifesting
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
real 18 hc
IMG_1477.jpeg
Is it legal to put a piece of tape on your putter for alignment purposes? After having a SeeMore prior to my Cleveland 10.5c I recently added a piece of tape with a black mark to mimic their RST alignment. I line up put and make sure I canโ€™t see the black mark. It seems to help and definitely gives me more confidence in putting. But it s there any rule against it?

Nope, it is easily removable (not that I care or would call you out on it). Use a sharpie, paint, or lead tape (the exception for some reason) and you are good.

Perfectly legal, you just can't add anything to the face of the club which could possibly influence ball flight. I saw an article not too long ago where one of the pros (Finau, maybe?) did something similar with his putter.

Nope, it is easily removable (not that I care or would call you out on it). Use a sharpie, paint, or lead tape (the exception for some reason) and you are good.

Tony Finau marks his Ping Anser 2D with an arrow in about the same spot. Finau4-1856-Wall.jpg

Tony Finau marks his Ping Anser 2D with an arrow in about the same spot. View attachment 9183767
Isn't that paint or a sharpie? Stickers/tape, from what I read are questionable: From (iv) External Attachments to the rules. "Additionally, tape to protect the shaft is permitted. However, these attachments must not be usable for any other purpose (e.g. alignment)."

More from the rules;
"The two long-standing permissible โ€œexternal attachmentsโ€ are (a) the permission to use lead tape on the shaft or the head for weighting, and (b) the use of a suction cup at the end of the grip of a putter to assist with retrieving the ball from the hole."

Isn't that paint or a sharpie? Stickers/tape, from what I read are questionable: From (iv) External Attachments to the rules. "Additionally, tape to protect the shaft is permitted. However, these attachments must not be usable for any other purpose (e.g. alignment)."

More from the rules;
"The two long-standing permissible โ€œexternal attachmentsโ€ are (a) the permission to use lead tape on the shaft or the head for weighting, and (b) the use of a suction cup at the end of the grip of a putter to assist with retrieving the ball from the hole."

It is either paint or a white sharpy (can't remember which) but I posted the picture to show an example of what you mentioned in your original post. However that lead tape, which is quite common with Pros, is easily removable too but I wasn't aware that they called it out separately as an approved mod.

More from the rules;
Under "Conformance of Clubs" in Part 2, here's the relevant text (Pp. 13-14):

Examples of attachments that could be permitted include: (...)

(...) Attachments to the clubhead (other than the face), such as protective coverings, decorative items or alignment aids (emphasis added), provided the addition is semi-permanent...

Just above that on Page 14 it says "Semi-permanent is interpreted to mean durable and not easily removable. Additionally, it must not be re-usable and/or must be essentially destroyed upon removal." So I guess it's open to interpretation whether a firmly attached piece of tape with the marker would be considered "durable", "not easily removable", "re-usable", or "essentially destroyed upon removal". Iffy? Maybe. I wouldn't worry about it in casual rounds, but in a competitive event I'd definitely seek out a rules official and get a ruling before I put it into play.

Or better yet, as you alluded to - make the mark with a sharpie or paint instead. That would meet all those criteria above.

How have I never thought of this?

Back