Brucem609

Rum Afficianado
Reaction score
Handicap
New to graphite shafted irons and wondering how to deal with shaft rub. I put in Recoil 760fs with SmacWrap. Concerned about the shafts getting that rub Mark, and then does it hurt the shaft?
is there something to cover the shaft??

From the bag?

I think it’s just a cosmetic thing but I am not an expert.
I have never noticed “rub” on my irons, I have gamed graphite for about 3 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, from the bag. Wondering if it does anything to the irons?

I have play Recoil shafts for the last few years and haven't noticed any issues with rub marks on the shafts.
If you are seeing it, i would take a good close look at the bag and see if there is any of the padding that is wearing or missing and causing issues.
Are you on a 14 way top?

Yes, from the bag. Wondering if it does anything to the irons?

I have been using a 5 wood and 4 hybrid, both with white shafts, with good sized rub marks (black spots a couple of inches above the ferrule) for about 5 years with absolutely no issues. I have seen visible rub marks on driver shafts before also but none ever gave any indication that they impaired the integrity of the shafts.

Doesn't look pretty but the finish wearing off in spots will not impact shaft performance.

wrap a large towel around the hosel of the golf clubs, make sure the ends are tucked into the bag so you don;t lose the towel.
Rub marks are quite common with golfers riding golf carts, because there will be more movement with the golf clubs bouncing inside the bag.
Minimize the movement of the golf clubs will reduce the chance to cause rub mark.
Clear coat can be recoated with nail polish clear coat, but if the damage rub into the graphite layer then it'll certainly weaken the structure of the shaft. Depending on the golfer, some will be fine and some will have shaft breakage.

Back