Questions for 2013 Morgan Cup Participants

KellyBo

Golf, Have Fun or Quit!
Reaction score
I've been reading and watching the MC recaps but thought it would be fun to have a thread for forum members to ask participants some questions about their experience. Here are a few of my questions.

What did you do to prepare for the MC?

How much would you say your game has improved because of the MC?

Did you work to become more physically fit for the MC?

How did the MC affect your family life from start to finish? Did your family "get it"?

What was your best shot in the MC? If it was a long drive, how did the rest of that hole play out?

Thanks in advance! I love following the MC.

For me I spent a ton of time on the range...so much more than the last few years combined. That paired with some lessons got me going I the right direction.

Drastically..more consistent scoring and hitting irons and wedges more consistently than ever.

I sure did..the weight loss was not only for me personally but part of it was for this event.

How did the MC affect your family life from start to finish? Did your family "get it"?

The wife got it from day 1. She offered amazing support and knew of the requirements that would need to be done on my end.

What was your best shot in the MC? If it was a long drive, how did the rest of that hole play out?
My putt from the drop zone for bogey was most memorable. Dont really have a stand out shot but I was most pleased with my approach wedge shots and the consistency in which I hit them in.

Great questions KB!

Preparation: I played as much as I could and tried to get as much match play action in as I could. I am not a range guy so my prep consists of just playing and working on course management, etc.

Improvement: Over the last 2 years, I would say I have dropped a solid 5-6 strokes. I don’t have any glaring weaknesses in my game anymore but still have the stray bad shots that cause a few blow up holes.

Fitness: Not a ton. I already walk the course when I play which I think helped me to be able to play 36 without issue at the MC. I have started a small workout program again just for general strength & toning while always stretching every day.

Family: This is a fine balance as it can be difficult to not let it take over your life. My wife gets my passion for both golf and THP. It also helped tremendously that she formed a great friendship with dhjkelly’s fiancé (Regina) from Ireland so she was looking forward to seeing her again this year.

Best shot: probably my drive on 18 Saturday afternoon at Caladonia with the match AS. Nerves were very high and I piped one dead up the right side leaving my alternate shot partner in perfect condition. Also hit some stellar chips to save some key up/downs and help to stay in matches.

Another quick query for the MC staffers, especially people who were new to the experience this year:

Did the cameras and interviews effect your play at all? Your mindset? Did they add to the pressure you faced during a match?

I took lessons for the first time and really took a look at my game and wanted to completely revamp it. I also put myself on a practice regimen for the first time ever as well. I played golf on average 2x a week and was at the range at least 2x a week over the winter.

Significantly. I have gone from a 30+ handicap down to about a 14-16 in the last 8 months. I have consistently played to a 14 the last 4-5 times I've been out.

I did, I was able to shed a few pounds and get my golf fitness to the best that it has ever been.

I had said this in a recap, but after I had dropped Tyler and Whitney off after dinner one night, we were going to go to Sonic and get ice cream for everyone. My wife said in the car. "I get it, and if you were ever picked for a future Morgan Cup, we would definitely be going." That was really cool to me. She has also been reading through all the recaps on THP since we got home. She even knew about #TheKing announcement before I did!

Best shot of the round was an 8i that I put to 6ft on the Par 3 #14 at True Blue. I made the birdie putt and forced IceyShanks and I's match to another hole.

Did the cameras and interviews effect your play at all? Your mindset? Did they add to the pressure you faced during a match?
I really wasn't that "flustered" by the cameras. That might be because there weren't cameras on EVERY hole. So you kind of got a reprieve a bit. I actually had some of my best shots when the camera was rolling. I enjoyed the interviews as well, it added a fun element, especially when you were playing a close match.

Another quick query for the MC staffers, especially people who were new to the experience this year:

The cameras and interviews didn't for me but having a dozen people greenside while trying to execute a tough chip definitely added some pressure and desire to hit a really good shot.

Surprisingly enough it really didnt. At least for me I just got used to them right away and knew they were going to be present and just tried to block that part out and focus on swinging the club.

I shifted my focus a little bit this year, I did more on-course work and less practicing at the range. I also focused more on the short game while at the range.

I'm a single digit handicap for the first time in my life after starting this year at just under 11, and prior to the first MC I think that I was a 12 or so.

Unfortunately, the answer is no. I still hate seeing myself on camera and seeing that I have a little beer gut going on.

My family definitely understood how important this was for me. The funny part is that my wife isn't a big golf person at all, and she didn't come out to watch because she thinks that following me around is boring. However, in talking with everyone else over the past couple of years, she "gets it" and understands what the people on here mean to me.

Probably my tee shot on 17 at Caledonia and my 2nd shot on 18 at Caledonia in the alternate shot matches. 17 was a tee shot of about 145 yards that I hit to about 12 feet, and 18 was a hybrid from 200 yards out that barely cleared the water and allowed us to make par on that hole. My nerves were super-high on both shots because I knew that if I didn't pull off either shot, our team would probably lose that match, and I was able to pull both shots off.

I played golf and worked on my mental game. I tried to put myself in nervous situations on the golf course.

How much would you say your game has improved because of the MC??
I'm not sure that my golf game has improved, but my play under pressure certainly has! I now play better under pressure than without it. Which is unfortunate because I'm still in the MC blues part of the after MC.

Did you work to become more physically fit for the MC? ?

I did not.

My girlfriend still doesn't "get it" and she wasn't ever really into it. My dad came down and supported me and that was an awesome experience ill never forget.

What was your best shot in the MC? If it was a long drive, how did the rest of that hole play out? I'm not sure. I hit one to 4 ft for birdie in singles, and a 360 yard drive on the teeshot of singles.

My best shot was probably in alt. shot where I hit it to about 4 feet to go 1 up on 13 or 14.

There were so many great shots throughout the weekend it's hard.

I've been reading and watching the MC recaps but thought it would be fun to have a thread for forum members to ask participants some questions about their experience. Here are a few of my questions.

This year I started with getting some training aids that allowed me to work on some things over the winter. When the season came I played as much as possible, got a lesson, and implemented a swing change. In the weeks leading up to the event I really focused on my short game and hitting partial shots.

My game is night and day from where it was prior to my involvement in this event. Before I would shoot anywhere from 85 - 95 and there would not be any consistency in my game. As much as anything I didn't think my way around the course and feel I could still score well after getting in trouble off the tee or after a few bad holes. My scores in last month have been 81-85 with likely a personal best round Sunday at the MC if I had completed the round. I am guessing when I get around to entering my scores my HC will be in single digits for the first time ever.

I am in better shape year over year but this is still a work in progress and one area where I feel I need to improve the most.

My Wife did not understand until she came with to the 2012 MC. While there it clicked for her and she has as much fun as I do now going to THP events. She joined the forum and has started playing the game, which has brought us closer together. This year we watched the Sunday coverage with my parents who have always been supportive but skeptical. Watching Trisha tell stories about everyone on screen and try to get my parents into it was such a cool thing to see. My kids have always been awesome about the whole thing. We have spent everyday evening since watching the coverage as a family hitting balls in the front yard. They keep asking when they can eat cereal out of the Morgan Cup.

It may sound silly but I think my best shot was a lay-up on the par 5 #4. This is the hole with the second shot that if you are going for it then you must carry water the whole way. Sunday in 2012 I was in good position about 235 out. Jake and Cookie had been right off the tee and had to chip out to where I was. I tried to go for it in two and hit a great shot but found the water just short of the green. I didn't realize that there is wind above the tree line that makes the shot play 10-15 yards longer. I had a tin cup moment because I was hitting the ball well knew I had the shot in me. I dunked 4-5 in the water before conceding the hole.

This year I was only 220 out and DDXU was 215. I hit a perfect lay up with my hybrid to maybe 110 yards out. DDXU went for it and dunked it just like I did. I never had to hit another shot as the hole was conceded.

This comes a lot easier than you think as every shot is filed with pressure even if the cameras were not there. You have been talking about your clubs and game for so long on THP and then Media day is great prep as well. You know the camera people pretty well, so it flows like almost any conversation. The biggest issue seems to be you will talk first when there are multiple people on camera.

Great thread and thanks for taking the time to answer. Love all the different ideas and ways people approach the game and practice.

Great questions Kelly, thank you!

Practiced as much as possible. I like to practice on the course, and hardly ever hit the range. I am lucky in the fact that I work at a golf course and am able to get on the course basically anytime. Whether it was playing a handful of holes before or after work, or playing multiple balls per hole when it was slow, I just tried to get as much time on course as I could. At one point I had played/practiced 9 days in a row and had to force myself to take a day off because I was simply exhausted.

Quite a bit. This has been a crazy year for me, with a lot of big events happening in my life. If it weren't for the MC I would not have been motivated to practice. In fact, with how busy my life was/is I'm not sure I'd be able to practice/play more than once a week.

The best part? It paid off. I peaked at the right time and was playing my best golf at the MC. It was very very nice to see all of the hard work pay off.

Honestly, no. I wouldn't say I'm out of shape by any means though. I seem to be always on the go and typically walk all of my rounds so I felt I was in good enough shape. I did play 36 holes a few times to make sure I was able to handle two rounds in the heat. I focused all of my spare time on golf and really didn't feel the need to work to become more physically for for the MC.

It took me away from my family at times simply because I was at the course as much as possible. Luckily my wife likes to play golf too so she would play with me from time to time. They didn't really get it at first and a few of my family members still don't. My wife kind of understood, but after attending she really "gets it" and now fully understands what THP is all about. She had a great time to say the least.

A few shots come to mind...

1) First hole in the first round of the MC. Bunker shot on #1 of TB (This shot was on the coverage). Kind of an uphill lie in wet sand to a pin about 30-35 feet away, with an 8ft lip or so (had to take stairs to get down into the bunker). I hit it to 2-3 feet and par was conceded to win the hole.

2) Par 5 hole #4 at TB on Sat AM (2 man scramble). We hit a great drive and had about 220-225 to the pin. Our plan was to have Gordo (White Rhino) lay up and then I'd go for the green in 2. He hit a good shot but it was just a little too aggressive of a line and ended up in the water. I asked if he was cool with me still going for it and he said yes and have me a few great words of encouragement that really boosted my confidence. Wind was in our face a bit so I took 3W and hit it great. Landed on the green and left us about 20 feet for eagle and we ended up winning the hole.

3) Same hole as above, Par 5 #4 TB, playing from the whites I hit 3W off the tee and then 3W again to hit the green in 2 and had about 15 feet left for Eagle and ended up winning the hole.

I've got a few from Caledonia but I think 3 is enough since you asked for one!

1 - What did you do to prepare for the MC?

2 - How much would you say your game has improved because of the MC?

3 - Did you work to become more physically fit for the MC?

4 - How did the MC affect your family life from start to finish? Did your family "get it"?

5 - What was your best shot in the MC? If it was a long drive, how did the rest of that hole play out?

Thanks in advance! I love following the MC.

6 - Did the cameras and interviews effect your play at all? Your mindset? Did they add to the pressure you faced during a match?

Thanks for the questions Kelly and Nate!!

1 - I played about 60 rounds of golf to date this year, along with countless range sessions. What I also did, was play a lot more competitive golf, where I was playing handicapped matches against people, played in my club team matchplay, played in the club championships, and tried to get extra time out in the sun, whether it was on course or on the range.

2 - Because of the MC? I'm not certain my game specifically has improved, but my outlook on the game of golf, my attitude towards the game, and my outlook on THP all continue to get more and more fulfilling each recap that is posted, as well as each thought that enters my head.

3 - I'm in pretty solid shape, but I did some additional work in the off-season and walked as much as I possibly could this year to make sure my body would hold up to the rigors of the cup. I think I accomplished that, although that much golf is bound to wear anyone down, and I definitely had more of a left turn in my shot shape come Sunday.

4 - I think my wife embraced it incredibly. She was excited for me, knew what it meant to be a part of it, and just let me run with it. My parents, other family and friends, while they supported me throughout, they had a really hard time grasping it all. Lots of focus on the bag of equipment rather than the brotherhood, and I am really excited to share my thoughts with them to better help them understand what the MC is all about.

5 - It would be between my flop shot greenside on #17 (True Blue) in the scramble (from a very tough thick rough, down the hill all the way to the hole, good for a tap in par to push the match all square to 18), or my sand shot on #10 (Caledonia) in Alt-Shot. I was standing on the bank with the ball in the bunker a good foot or two below my feet. Went basically into a catchers stance and splashed one out to only a foot or two, good enough to be conceded to win the hole.

6 - The cameras and interviews were very much a part of the event and I tried to embrace them as much as possible, offering interviews or allowing them time to get situated before I made my shots. What DID get to me, was the commentary while I was lining up putts. I can appreciate the added bonus of having it, but it was extremely distracting while trying to concentrate on the putt.

For those of us who hope to be participants in the future, would you mind telling us how much you figure the trip/experience cost you?

I am trying to ballpark how much a person would have to have socked away to experience the Morgan Cup.

Did you stay in the villas? Did you stay off-site? Did you eat out all week? Did you cook for yourself all week?

What about your game still needs improving (if anything)? Did the matches open your eyes to anything that you still need to improve on?

1 - For those of us who hope to be participants in the future, would you mind telling us how much you figure the trip/experience cost you?

I am trying to ballpark how much a person would have to have socked away to experience the Morgan Cup.

2 - Did you stay in the villas? Did you stay off-site? Did you eat out all week? Did you cook for yourself all week?

3 - What about your game still needs improving (if anything)? Did the matches open your eyes to anything that you still need to improve on?

1 - 500 entry. Factor in flights or gas costs for driving. Factor in a rental car. There is a McDonalds and other fast food directly outside the grounds for cheap food, or TrueBlue and Caledonia have great food available, but you'll probably spend 15-20 dollars each meal there. Villas were a total of 199 I believe per person. Extra rounds of golf were 60 apiece. I played one per day so add 120 there. I was able to utilize the True Blue range at my leisure as well, at no extra charge.

2 - I stayed in the Villas. I think it's a must to get the full MC experience with the guys. You can cook in there but we never did.

3 - I've always wanted to become a better putter, but I was quite pleased with my game there. I'd say I played about as well as I could have expected to. It's tough changing elements like green type and rough type, while still maintaining hours and hours of practice on different grass. The waste bunkers were also unique in their own right.

For those of us who hope to be participants in the future, would you mind telling us how much you figure the trip/experience cost you?

Did you stay in the villas? Did you stay off-site? Did you eat out all week? Did you cook for yourself all week?

What about your game still needs improving (if anything)? Did the matches open your eyes to anything that you still need to improve on?

The wife and I drove from Texas so everything together (MC entry/gas/lodging/food) was probably in the $2500 range.

We stayed in the villas as they are actually cheaper than hotels and pretty damn nice. We had a mixture of eating in/out.

We could've kept costs down lower but this was also a vacation so there was a bunch of eating/drinking out, etc.

What I want to improve on: become a better putter and eliminate the misses (stinkers that lead to doubles and loss of hole). Also have to remember to play your own game...trouble arises when you get out of your comfort zone and try to hit miracle shots.

Lots of good info here, great questions Kelly!

Thanks Nate, great question.

Not at all. Obviously it puts a little more pressure on your shot knowing that it could make coverage, but I enjoyed the pressure. That's part of what the whole event is about. I did hit a few bad ones on camera, especially when Jenn (nerfny) was filming. She was my bad lunch charm. Lol. I really enjoyed the interviews. They seemed to happen at great times in my matches and it was fun talking about the match and how everything was going.

The wife and I drove so so everything together (gas/lodging/food) was probably in the $2500 range.

Whoa...Really?
$500 entry fee.
Gas to get there a few hundred bucks.
Lodging was $200 right?
Extra rounds at half price means $60 a piece I believe.
Does that mean food and drinks was really over $1000? Even with THP doing the banquet dinner and the celebration lunch?

Whoa...Really?
$500 entry fee.
Gas to get there a few hundred bucks.
Lodging was $200 right?
Extra rounds at half price means $60 a piece I believe.
Does that mean food and drinks was really over $1000? Even with THP doing the banquet dinner and the celebration lunch?

Entry: $500
Our lodging was $600 for the week.
Gas was about $350.
Another $100 for hotel room on the way (drove straight through on the drive home).
$180 for practice rounds.
Then food (combo of eating in/out) and drinks for 2 all week, etc.

Definitely at least $2200 not considering the entertainment that we chose while there.

Did some of you guys try and play a lot of different courses to prepare? I know a lot of guys who are a certain handicap at their home course and then go somewhere else and can easily shoot 10+ shots worse.

Did the few days before give you enough time to learn the courses for competition? What would be ideal if $ and time wasn't in play?

The cost all depends on how long a trip you make it. The Villas on site are dirt cheap for what you get and include a full kitchen. Guys are willing to help with rides to and from the airport and everything you need is located close to the course so a rental is really a luxury and not a neccesity.

Putting is huge. I spent more time on putting than the rest of my game but it still needs work.

If you could have one mulligan from the weekend, which shot would it be and why?

If you could have one mulligan from the weekend, which shot would it be and why?

hahahaha!!! Number 18. True Blue. Scramble. Second shot.

1 - My failure is on film, and that stings
2 - I covered it in my recap, but wow. It hurt.

Great thread KB!

Which match/match style was your favorite and most fun? How come?

Last edited:
Back