Questions on the Caribbean

TheGasman

I Like to Party
Reaction score
Handicap
Im trying to plan out my honeymoon and I know nothing about the Caribbean. I guess I am leaning towards St Lucia but Im not sure about where to stay. Are Sandals resorts cheesy? Any recomendations of other islands or places to stay? Is the humidity in July really bad? Any advice about the whole are would be appreciated.

Congrats dude! Apparently Michael Scott went to Sandals Montego Bay and had a wonderful time

Whaaaaaaat?! I missed this too.

Congrats, when is the wedding?

Oh ya, I finally decided after almost 8 years that she was the one. July 2nd is the big day.

Congrats dude! Apparently Michael Scott went to Sandals Montego Bay and had a wonderful time

Haha, I forgot about that.

Congrats Gasman!! Wicked awesome news. I know nothing of the Caribbean unfortunately. I did hear that Sandals where they held the Big Break is one of the top rated resorts anywhere. Might be worth checking out.

My wife and I went there for our honeymoon back in 2006. It was so awesome! We stayed the the Sandals Halcyon resort, mostly because it was the cheapest of the three resorts. With the stay at one, play at three deal, we were able to use the other resorts as much as we wanted to. The Halcyon was really nice, but just out dated compared to the other three. I think if we had to do it all over again, we would have stayed at the Grande. It is the newest and has the most to do. I was really worried about the Sandals cheesy experience, but is was nothing like that. We met so many nice couples and made some really great friends while we were there that week. If I had to compare all of the resorts there I would say the Halcyon is a great resort, but just a little older. The Pier restaurant there is a must eat at. The Regency is really nice but doesn't have that great of beach areas, compare to the others. I do think it has the nicest restaurants. Supposedly there is a French restaurant there that you have to call a couple of weeks before you go to get reservations. The Grande is the best one in my opinion. Even though we stayed a the Halcyon, we went there for one of our days and got a message there. It has a huge bay area to lay out by and play in. We took a Hobie Cat sailboat out and had a blast with it. You could also rent Jet Skis if you wanted to there too. The pool area was the best of the three too. My wife and I also went on a tour of the island with 3 other couples that we met. That was one of the best experiences of the whole trip. The island is so beautiful and has so many different landscapes. There is even a rain forest part and a sweet mountain you can climb there too.

All in all, I think it was such an awesome experience going to St. Lucia. I have been to many of the Bahama islands and this was the best by far. We are planning on going back there on our 15th anniversary. If you have any other questions let me know, I will try and help you out as much as possible.

Gas- I've been to almost all of the islands in the Caribbean (one of the benefots of being a diver) and there really aren't that many 'bad islands' but the big difference is price. I went on my honeymoon with 'She Who Used to be Obeyed' to St Lucia and had an awesome time at a Sandals. IMO, all inclusive is the way to go hands down. I like to pay for convenience when on vacation and there's nothing better than going up to the bar, giving your room #, and then eating and drinking the night away. Humidity is more noticeable in July but you'll have that anyway as you're closer to the equator. St Lucia, St Thomas (UVI), St Martin, Puerto Rico, and Turks and Caicos are my faves. Avoid St Barths unless you want to end up poor.

Thanks for the advice Hanks and dmb. I was leaning towards the Grand in St Lucia. Im a big drinker but she is not so thats why I am wondering if I am better off going with a regular resort over an all inclusive. I will definitely have some questions for you guys in the coming days.

Thanks for the advice Hanks and dmb. I was leaning towards the Grand in St Lucia. Im a big drinker but she is not so thats why I am wondering if I am better off going with a regular resort over an all inclusive. I will definitely have some questions for you guys in the coming days.

The drinking part of all inclusive is great, but the food part is awsome too. It took us about two meals to pace ourselves to get to the amazing desserts at the end. That was so good. Another thing, at all inclusives it is ok to start drinking at 10 in the morning. Everbody else is doing it too!

10am? Slacker! 8am with a bloody mary poolside bro!
The drinking part of all inclusive is great, but the food part is awsome too. It took us about two meals to pace ourselves to get to the amazing desserts at the end. That was so good. Another thing, at all inclusives it is ok to start drinking at 10 in the morning. Everbody else is doing it too!

dmb is right....although the drinking part is nice the food part is almost better. either way I think it's hard to not argue the value of an all inclusive

10am? Slacker! 8am with a bloody mary poolside bro!

I was still asleep from the nice before at the point. We did have mimosas with breakfast quite often.

I'm not Michael Scott but my wife and I went to Sandals Montego Bay for our honeymoon back in 99 and we really enjoyed ourselves. We went in October and the weather could not have been better, simply gorgeous the entire time. The resort was nice, but probably a little bit of a younger crowd for the most part, which for us at the time was fine since I was only 25 and my wife was 23, we were more than fine with the young crowd. The swim up bar was rather rowdy during the day and around 3pm or so was basically the equivalent of probably midnight at a club, drunk people hollering and having fun. One nice feature when we went was the ability to go to other Sandals resorts in Jamaica, we did this for a couple of our dinners, one we went to that was very nice and more upscale and a lot more tame was Sandals Royal Caribbean, very nice and upscale. Overall I was happy with it, our room was probably a little less than stellar but really we didn't spend much time in it so it didn't bother us too much.

If I were to do it over again I'd probably stay at one of the other Sandals there in Jamaica like Royal Caribbean or something, but then again Montego Bay was fun so if that's what you're looking for you would enjoy that. They told us when we booked it was more like a Spring Break type atmosphere and they sure weren't lying.

Congrats on the engagement!

The only thing I dont like in Montego Bay is that if you leave the resort, its generally kind of busy and not as nice as the island truly is. I recommend Negril/West End. Negril if you NEED beach, West End if you dont mind taking a $2.25 cab to the beach. Both are incredibly slow paced and allows you to relax in the way that you deserve to. Although theyre a little hard on their employees, Riu Negril is nice. Depending on how much you want to spend on the vacation, the West end is more secluded from the beach life and can generally offer a fantastic couples vacation. If you need to know anything about Jamaica feel free to ask, my sister lives there, and my parents frequently go there. Ive been 6 or 7 times but I dont go anymore due to work, school, and interning.

See what happens when you don't come and play with us? haha

Ya MO, look what you did to me.

I think I am going to stay away from Jam Rock.

Ya MO, look what you did to me.

I think I am going to stay away from Jam Rock.

Haha, don't blame me! You should be fine, if she's been with you for 8 years already she's given up on getting you to change. Just don't let her eat any cake at the wedding, it does bad things to them.

Thanks for the link to that site. Ill check it out. Turks and Caicos sounds pretty cool too.

I've only been twice Gasman, but it was a blast both times. The first was a cruise and I can't recomend that enough. Just being waited on to the n'th degree was beyond sweet, although we had to put up with a bunch of Canadians, lol. The second was to Atlantis Paradise Island. Now that was really cool, but I hear very pricy. We won the trip, so a week in paradise was extra special, lol.

go to costa rica homey! it's cool, it can be done affordably, and they like to party.

Gas, living on the West Coast have you thought about the South Pacific? It'll be much easier to get to from where you are. We thought about that when my wife and I were planning our honeymoon but it was just a pain to get to from the east coast. We settled on Aruba. If there's a place where humidity is no issue, Aruba is the place. Wind on the other hand...

Gas, living on the West Coast have you thought about the South Pacific? It'll be much easier to get to from where you are. We thought about that when my wife and I were planning our honeymoon but it was just a pain to get to from the east coast. We settled on Aruba. If there's a place where humidity is no issue, Aruba is the place. Wind on the other hand...

I was thinking about Tahiti or Bora Bora but for some reason I would rather go to the Caribbean. She doesnt want Hawaii and im not too keen on a 12 hour plane ride to Tahiti or Fiji. Im still open to anything.

I was thinking about Tahiti or Bora Bora but for some reason I would rather go to the Caribbean. She doesnt want Hawaii and im not too keen on a 12 hour plane ride to Tahiti or Fiji. Im still open to anything.

Yeah, I guess it's how many days you have available as well. You don't want to waste too many days in transit. Let me know if you have any questions on Aruba. I'm sure there have been many changes since we've been there so I can really only answer general questions.

Back