Questions with Paula Creamer

soxngolf

back to the season
Reaction score
Since we are getting close to the start of the season (Feb 18th) we are seeing more interviews with LPGA players. Here is one from Paula, I thought the Annika and Michelle (you know Morgan feels that way about the juniors) comments were interesting:

Paula Creamer on the LPGA's outlook for 2010, getting to know Michelle Wie and waiting for Annika's return
By Mike Walker, Senior Editor, GOLF MagazinePublished: January 23, 2010

What's your sense of the LPGA's economic health right now?
Obviously we've had our struggles. The important thing is that we're keeping tournaments. We have tournaments that are still here that people are overlooking; instead, they're looking at the ones we've lost. The biggest thing is our relationships with our sponsors. We have to be loyal to the sponsors who've been with us from the beginning, and I feel like in the past couple of years they'd been taken for granted. Now we're headed in the right direction.

Did the LPGA miss Annika Sorenstam's star power in 2009?
Yes and no. She brought a lot to women's golf, but there are so many wonderful players out there. It's very diverse culturally, obviously. It was never the Annika Sorenstam Tour by any means, and it's kind of neat that we've been able to overcome that. I can't wait for her to come back, though. It will be neat when she comes back and plays with us again.

The men's and women's 2014 U.S. Opens will be played on consecutive weeks at Pinehurst No. 2. Would you like to see more events like this?
I think it's going to be a great experience for both tours. The thing that people need to realize is that men's golf and women's golf are very different. The course will be set up much differently for us lengthwise than it will be for the men. Still, the rough will be the same.

Your record in the Solheim Cup is 8-2-4. Why does that event bring out your best?
It's seeing the flag being raised, and going out on the first tee when they say "Paula Creamer representing the United States." Just thinking about it gives me goosebumps. My dream is to represent my country well, be a role model in front of young girls and get people involved with golf.

You said that last year's Solheim Cup was the first time you ever got to hang out with Michelle Wie.
We all ate breakfast, lunch and dinner together as a team, so I got to know her away from golf. She was very outgoing—it's a side of her that you don't see on the golf course.

When you were winning 15 straight events as a junior, did you ever feel that people should have been paying more attention to your amateur career and less to Michelle's?
I can't control what the media writes and says. I can only control my golf game, and for me that's about winning and going out and competing against the best players and trying to get as many situations under my belt as possible.

What do you like least: questions about your personal life or questions about why you haven't won a major?
Neither, really. I'm used to the majors question now. This is my fifth year on Tour. For people to constantly talk about me not having won a major isn't always a bad thing. It means that people think I'm a better player. Trust me, I know I haven't won a major.

Are questions about your personal life off-limits?
No, I don't mind questions about my personal life. I am who I am. It's just that nobody ever asks me [laughs]. But I'm not dating anyone right now. A lot of it is the travel, but I've had relationships in the past when I'm on the road. So we'll see.

You're famous for wearing pink. Is there any color you won't wear on the course?
Not really. There are certain shades I don't look good in. For example, I don't do real well in purple, but there's not one color where I'll say, "I cannot play in this." I'm willing to give everything a chance.

Thanks, Soxy. She comes across as an interesting juxtaposition of polished/produced and still very young.

I think I read this in one of the golf magazine, it was a pretty good read!

Back