Quick 9 with a Sunday Bag and only 8 Clubs

smgoldstein

2022 Goat Cupper
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Grabbed my Scotty Sunday Bag, bag weighs next to nothing, and threw in a few clubs: Driver, 3 wood, hybrid, 6 and 8 irons, pw, 54 degree sand wedge and putter. Went out by myself late in the day when it was cold and overcast and squeezed in the equivalent of 27 holes in under two hours (played 3 balls a hole on the front nine). It was a blast and I enjoyed playing with half a bag.

IMG_1660.jpg

Most rounds I really enjoy the social aspect of golf and being with my friends, but sometimes playing as a single and especially walking makes for the most glorious round of golf imaginable. Lightening the load is a great idea too.

I play a single from time to time. Usually a spur of the moment type deal. A lot of those times I join up, or someone joins me.

I always take a full bag of clubs. However, most of the time, I only use 7-8 of them. Sometimes less.

When playing solo, and the course isn't busy, I will play multiple balls on each hole. This helps when considering a ball change, and can compare balls against each other.

Good looking bag. Is that a regular offering from Titleist or Scotty.

Grabbed my Scotty Sunday Bag, bag weighs next to nothing, and threw in a few clubs: Driver, 3 wood, hybrid, 6 and 8 irons, pw, 54 degree sand wedge and putter. Went out by myself late in the day when it was cold and overcast and squeezed in the equivalent of 27 holes in under two hours (played 3 balls a hole on the front nine). It was a blast and I enjoyed playing with half a bag.

View attachment 8975425

When I carried my own clubs, I used to carry anywhere between 8-11 clubs depending on the course I was playing.

I’m a huge fan of short bags and walking a quick 9. I keep a 7 club bag on hot standby - 3W, odd or evens, PW, SW and putter. I really like that bag and knits!

Last edited:
When golfing with my granddaughter on our short course, I grab a few clubs and put them in my Jones Original Sunday bag to keep things light and easy.

Big fan of the half bag 9 hole round... my home course is a short 9 hole that I often play with 5i-9i, a wedge and a putter.

I play with a Sunday/minimalist bag all the time and I love it. My bag is so much lighter, I can carry instead of need a push cart or riding in a cart. I dont really notice any difference in my scores either.
Sometimes I go back to a 14 club bag and Im always like, "Oh God, why would I carry all these clubs???"

I play with a Sunday/minimalist bag all the time and I love it. My bag is so much lighter, I can carry instead of need a push cart or riding in a cart. I dont really notice any difference in my scores either.
Sometimes I go back to a 14 club bag and Im always like, "Oh God, why would I carry all these clubs???"

I like the concept, for sure. But I feel I’d perpetually be sitting at 160 and I’d have my 145 and my 175 clubs with me. Jumping on one (adding spin) doesn’t help unless down wind. Taking something off doesn’t usually work well for me.

I have a tool for a job and even as an, ahem, not scratch golfer it does impact my scoring by not having every option.

I think that’s a Cameron Club bag, although I could be wrong.

When I took up the game years ago it was common to start with 3,5,7,9 irons, a 3W and a putter. Golf was so much simpler then!

Good show and I never carry more than 9-10 walking and have a 2.5 lb python (navy) bag by ouul.com that is nice.

Driver, 4 w, hybrid, 6, 8, W, SW, LW putter and sometimes add in 9 or AW depending on course. Does not affect score to any degree and is healthier than riding. For some reason i can still hit a driver off the ground pretty well with a slight fade on some lies so I hardly ever use a 3w anyway.

When I took up the game years ago it was common to start with 3,5,7,9 irons, a 3W and a putter. Golf was so much simpler then!

I rented some old nasty Northwestern's from the Navy base for my first dozen rounds or so. There wasn't a straight shaft in the set. (y)

I like the concept, for sure. But I feel I’d perpetually be sitting at 160 and I’d have my 145 and my 175 clubs with me. Jumping on one (adding spin) doesn’t help unless down wind. Taking something off doesn’t usually work well for me.

I have a tool for a job and even as an, ahem, not scratch golfer it does impact my scoring by not having every option.

I think that’s a Cameron Club bag, although I could be wrong.
Youd get used to it. All you have to do is either grip down on the club an inch or 2 or simply make a slightly shorter swing. Back in the old days there was this thing called, "shotmaking" that people seem to have fogotten about these days.
Nowdays, everyone just wants to have the perfect club for every situation and they simply want to make a stock swing, instead of being able to take a bit off of a shot, open the face or close the face (to manipulate the loft), play it forward or back in your stance (to change the spin and launch angle) and do all kinds of other cool things to take the same club and adjust the way that it plays.
Im personally of the mind that you dont actually NEED 14 clubs and even 14 is just an arbitrary number that the R&A came up with back in the 1920s. Before then, you could carry as many clubs as you wanted and people would litteraly make their caddie carry dozens of clubs so that they could have the perfect club for any given instance. The R&A put a club limit on to put some of the sport back in the game. IMO, no one needs more than 10 clubs and Id even contend that most could play with only 7 or 8 clubs and not notice any difference in their scores.
I often laugh when I get grouped with randoms and they see that I only have 7 clubs in my bag and they kind of laugh and roll their eyes at me on the 1st tee (I even had one guy ask me if my clubs were rentals LOL) only to find by the 7th or 8th hole that Im shooting the same kind of scores they are. 14 is overrated. Less is more.

I'd love to see some of the OEM's to come out with minimalist sets with a nice transition from club to club that actually look like they belong together.

Back