Quick car tire question

Smithfaced

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys,

Got in my car this afternoon and noticed something wasn't right. I drove a mile at the most to get to a safe spot to pull over going 15-20 MPH. Got out and tire was almost flat. Still had a bit of air pressure. Put on the spare and went straight to a local shop. The guy took my tire off the rim right in front of me and showed me a small amount of rubber flakes. He immediately said I needed a new tire at the sweet price of $250. By a small amount of flakes I mean I could have picked them up in one hand no problem. This place has a reputation for trying to swindle people but I don't know in this case. Do I actually need a new tire?

Pictures by chance?

Give me a few on pics. Also using an iPhone so might not come out very well.

Do you have any pics? How old / how many miles on them roughly?

Depends on if its puncture or a slice in the tire. Also depends on where the damage is located. As plugging and patches are still done most places will tell you that you need a tire and those practices are usually temporary. .

I'd keep the spare on and drive to a reputable tire dealer. If the tire is old, that could be decay that may be occurring on others. If you're keeping this car awhile you might need to consider a new set. I wouldn't put on 1 new tire, I'd always do pairs.

So go elsewhere. Unless you're driving a 911, that's too much IMHO

if you found rubber shreds, i would probably go ahead and recommend a replacement tire. When you drive on a flat, the rim scrapes along the inner sidewalls of the tire and thus, you're weakening the stability of the sidewalls. Can you see any exposed steel belting on the sidewalls? imo, it gets dicey anytime there is a material loss, and could increase a chance of a blowout. you could however also be fine. It's tough to say but from my time working in tire shops etc, whenever we'd see the bits of shredded rubber, it was usually safe to assume that tire was garbage.

Is there no remaining warranty on the tire? can they prorate the life of it towards the cost of the new one?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395943723.481028.jpg

This is the worst part.

I think you are buying some new rubber. Sorry dude.

Yeah I'm starting to feel the same way. Super pumped about this!

I'd replace that. Thats basically where the rim was riding. It wore down the rubber, but what you cant see is the steel belting which is probably damaged as well. I'd spring for a couple of new tires. Usually don't want to do them in singles because it will cause uneven wear and it will make the car handle funny as you will have a bigger tire on one corner of the car than the other 3.

Id also replace but 250 is a pretty decent tire. Wow. Ultra high performance or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have something similar to Discount Tire close? That's who I go to and they price match. I got 4 new tires for $500 with road hazard.

I will second Discount Tire. Go to their website, and you can see what they have and price it on there too. Gotta love new tire prices with our fancy rims!!!

Tire is done. I do have a warranty but that only covers 1 tire and I drive an AWD Subaru. Heading over to Discount Tire now. For those who were wondering I have Yokohama all weather tires.

Tire is done. I do have a warranty but that only covers 1 tire and I drive an AWD Subaru. Heading over to Discount Tire now. For those who were wondering I have Yokohama all weather tires.

I have Yokohama's as well and got 4 with road hazard for right around $500. Good luck and hope Discount can lessen the blow.

I wish my tires were only $250 =(

Discount Tire is WAY cheaper than the other places I went. Thanks guys for the recommendation.

Discount Tire will take care of you. And by take care of you, I mean, TAKE CARE OF YOU. Purchasing tires from them means you get free rotation (easily a driveway job), free tire checks, and free plug if you run over a nail/screw. They also prorated us a new tire when my wife ran over a "rock" that cut the sidewall. It was something like $12 bucks or so. I've also had my local Discount help me out with a new car that they haven't serviced because I was a repeat customer.

Back