Quick list of good deals on players irons (used and new)

triple_bøgey

Reaction score
Handicap
I've been going back and forth on which new [to me] iron set to get. I'm currently playing some TaylorMade Burner LCG's (created circa 1998), so stepping into some nice used clubs would still be a significant upgrade. I want a players iron–or something that looks like a blade but has a little more forgiveness. And I don't really want to spend 1,000+, because I just started getting back into golf, and I've always wanted a brand new set of Titleist MB's, but, realistically, it's going to take me 2+ years before I'm good enough again to play true blades. So I'd just like a solid set of clubs that I can abuse for the next 2-4 years.

Anyway, I put together this table, featuring all the best deals I could find. Admittedly, this list is shaped by my own biases (e.g., I never really liked Callaway or Ping irons), but I thought it might be useful for anyone in the market for a similar type of iron, especially if entertaining the idea of buying used.

And for anyone who is curious as to what I've decided to do, I think (as of this morning anyway) I am just going to take advantage of the PXG 0211 deal and get 4-PW. I was a bit worried that they were going to be bulkier than I wanted, but looking at some pictures of used 0211's has eased my concerns.

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 8.28.36 AM.png

That's a solid list. Never seen the PXG but I'm sure they'll be a nice upgrade for you.

P730 to T300 is an interestingly wide ranging list. Some good clubs on there. Going off what you said the 785s seem like a good fit. Little help while you get your game back, and still small and player enough to be used by some of the best in the world. I've never hit those PXG, but I've liked most of their stuff that I have. Price seems solid.

P730 to T300 is an interestingly wide ranging list. Some good clubs on there. Going off what you said the 785s seem like a good fit. Little help while you get your game back, and still small and player enough to be used by some of the best in the world. I've never hit those PXG, but I've liked most of their stuff that I have. Price seems solid.
I mistakenly thought the P730 were players irons (similar to 0211s and ping i210s), but never removed them from the list. As for the T300...I'm not sure why I included them–beyond being a good price. I'm a sucker for new Titleist irons I guess lol.

You might look in on this thread: Ben Hogan Player's Combo Set

I was following it for a while, despite the fact I'm nowhere near pulling the trigger on such a thing, and thought they looked interesting.

Don’t see any Callaway irons on there? I might could know where a decent set of Razr X-Forged 3-PW could be found, Px LZ 6.0’s.

Mp-5 jumps out to me. Very forgiving for a blade with the larger profile. I loved my set and kinda wished I reshafted them instead of selling.

You have a huge range on that list though from blades to large GI irons.

Probably middle of the road pick of z785 would be good, but like someone mentioned above there are some DTC companies that play in this price point that make stellar clubs.

Back