R.I.P. MAD Magazine

Grins

AMDG
Reaction score
Handicap
20ish
NY Times article: MAD Magazine is no longer publishing new material.

https://nyti.ms/2YMuatM

I grew up reading MAD magazine. I think most people don’t realize how influential it was in terms of humor, whether in print or on the big or small screen.

From the article:

Mad’s influence is ubiquitous now. The glut of satire and subversive comedy we all now consume daily is created by kids who grew up on Mad or on humor inspired by it: “Saturday Night Live,” “The Simpsons,” “The Daily Show,” “The Colbert Report” and The Onion are all in one way or another the spawn of Mad.

I would also say movies like Airplane & The Naked Gun were directly influenced by MAD. The people who wrote National Lampoon (and who made movies like Caddy Shack) were fans of MAD too

Wow I used to read Mad 40 years ago. I am amazed it lasted this long.

Wow I used to read Mad 40 years ago. I am amazed it lasted this long.

Definitely haven't read it in years. The author of the article also stated the real death notice was when they accepted advertisements in the mag. Not sure when that started.
But definitely the passing of an era and one of the most influential magazines of the 50's & 60's.

RIP to the major influence on humor from the 1950s on. It had unfortunately been going since the 1990's deaths of William Gaines and Harvey Kurtzman.

Hate to hear this. I grew up on MAD magazine. Loves Spy v. spy and the little cartoons in the margins.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Loved Mad, my brothers and I would buy it together and then do a coin toss to see who got to read it first. My mother would take the old ones in put them in the "snow day" box and we would sit in front of the fireplace and read them all again and again.

That's really too bad. I loved the magazine growing up. It sucks to see something like that come to an end.

A staple of my childhood, that I still quote from to this day.

This makes me sad. I too grew up reading MAD, hardly ever missed an issue.

RIP Alfred...RIP

alfred_e_neuman.jpg
img_1130.jpg

Loved Mad magazines. Especially the movie or tv spoofs. Glad I still got this which has the rocky movie spoof that killed me
61f7c36de725413aad9c18c6066f9dab.jpg

Back