R11 TP best shaft option?

Ca3L

Reaction score
Alright, so I sold my R11 for another driver and don't like it, so I'm going to buy another R11. My question is this: what is the best shaft option for me?
With the Fujikura Blur set with standard dimensions on the R11 10.5* I was averaging like 4500 rpms with a really high ball flight. The fitter (not much of a fitter, just some random guy helping me digest the numbers on the launch monitor) said that I want to get that down to about 2500-3000. He was surprised that with all the spin I had that I wasn't hooking or slicing the ball, but I was pulling it. I know I need to work on my swing all together, but what would you recommend for a shaft that'll help to reduce my spin? My SS was about 112-114, but I think I average higher, maybe 115-117, as I haven't played in like a week. I'm going to get the 9*, I like the ball flight much better with that, and can always adjust the loft if/when needed after I change my swing.
Anything you can offer will help!
Thanks.

I am in the same boat as you. It is a function of the head as well. the R11S has a lower spinning head and coupled with the Rip Phenom shaft, give less spin.

I switched earlier this year and it helped, but I recently switched to an X flex shaft and it really lowered my spin numbers to where they should be. My SS is always between 115-120mph (pretty similar to you)

I see you are already in an X flex? I would look at going to a RIP beta or even the Alpha. Both will spin less, especially of you go with a heavier shaft. I traded for a Rip Beta X this week and am anxious to see how that rolls.

I just want to get my game together! 2 weeks ago I couldn't hit my irons. Bought some new irons with stiff steel (Had R graphite before) and can hit the lights out with them, but then my driving ability goes astray! I have yet to put together a good round with both driving and iron play.. it's frustrating.

There are a lot of factors that come into play, but if you want just a general list, a few low spin, low launch shafts include:

- UST Proforce V2, Fujikura Rombax, Mitsubishi Fubuki Alpha

I love the UST Proforce V2, but is it a viable option in the R11? I suppose I could assemble it myself.

I love the UST Proforce V2, but is it a viable option in the R11? I suppose I could assemble it myself.

No, its not. It would be something you would have to buy then buy the tip separately or find a shop that would order both and assemble it for you.

In the options that would be offered from Taylormade, you could go with the RIP Gamma, Mitsubishi 'ahina, Matrix HD6. I would suggest the Project X, but I think that TM only offers up to the 6.5 flex, and you might be better with the 7.0 flex.

I had the exact same issue you do. We have the same swing speed. I was gaming the R9 at the time. What really helped me was going to a 8.5* TM Superdeep with a x-stiff shaft and tipped 1". Which made it a bit stiffer. I had the Adlila Rip Alpha shaft in it and saw nice numbers. Really helped with the spin. But moved to the Oban Devotion 7 in an x-stiff tipped 1" and to get a better ball flight with even less spin and when the ball hits the ground it runs forever.

So I would say get a more qualified fitter and try some x-stiff shafts that fit your swing better. Also if you are looking for a new head in the TM category I found that I got less spin with the Rocketballs TP driver over the 11s.

Good luck buddy!

I have the ust proforce v2 in my R11 and I'm loving it so far!

It is super easy to buy the shaft on Ebay along with the r9 or r11 tip and assembly yourself or even buy one pre-assembled. But I would go to a qualified fitter first to know exactly what works best for you.

I had an FT-9 with a UST PROforce v2 in it sitting around, I had never swung it in a driver before. So, I took it to the range and wow! I was only hitting about 255 in the air with about 20-25 yards of roll but I was absolutely dead on every time. It was cut so it played quite stiff, but I've found that I absolutely love the shaft on a driver too.. And it was a short driver, but I don't mind giving up 10 yards for control like that. Now I just need to find a head that I like better. I like the R11 but I wouldn't mind trying other options. I really need a qualified fitter :) thanks for all the responses, I'll try to check put all of those shafts, definitely the Oban.

I had an FT-9 with a UST PROforce v2 in it sitting around, I had never swung it in a driver before. So, I took it to the range and wow! I was only hitting about 255 in the air with about 20-25 yards of roll but I was absolutely dead on every time. It was cut so it played quite stiff, but I've found that I absolutely love the shaft on a driver too.. And it was a short driver, but I don't mind giving up 10 yards for control like that. Now I just need to find a head that I like better. I like the R11 but I wouldn't mind trying other options. I really need a qualified fitter :) thanks for all the responses, I'll try to check put all of those shafts, definitely the Oban.

Good luck and keep trying everything! One shaft that works for one person may not work for another. I do love the Oban and the price is right too!

Good luck and keep us up to date on what you chose!

Back