JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
So just now I go out to walk the dog and there were 3 raccoons in my tree right outside our house. Never seen raccoons anywhere around here and the dog really wanted to get them. Of course they would probably tear her to shreds. Had to take a few pictures.

439509808_QTLWB-L.jpg

439509897_Yg4bP-L.jpg

439510109_bbJgf-L.jpg

They sure do look cute and all until every morning you come outside and your neighbors garbage is spread out all over your porch:angry:

• Admin
Craig,
We just do not have them around here much, that is the crazy thing.

Healthy raccoons aren't outside in the daytime. Call animal patrol. You don't want rabid raccoons anywhere near you.

(Sorry, Golfergal)

When I was a kid, our house backed up against a wooded area. We were forever having all sorts of critters in the back yard, on the porch, etc. Armadillos, skunks (those things are BIG by the way), possums, and of course, raccoons.

One fall, a raccoon burrowed through our roof and into the attic. My father set up cage traps, but the raccoons kept outwitting them. Finally, my dad called animal control. They came out to out house, but couldn't get the raccoon out of the attic.

My frustrated father, ever the angler, went inside (attic access was through a pull down ladder in the garage) and grabbed a package of hot dogs. He tied one to the end of his fishing line and cast it up into the attic. After a few minutes and a couple of casts, my father reeled in the hot dog with the raccoon following it right down the attic stairs where the animal control guys netted it and then released it back into the wooded area.

The image of a raccoon following a hot dog down our attic stairs was just surreal.

I am SO glad I am not home right now, I would have had a heart attack!

Raccoons aren't that bad. But possums are mean as friggin' hell. And their teeth are like needles.

• Admin
Now that should be on youtube...Raccoons chasing hotdogs

Healthy raccoons aren't outside in the daytime. Call animal patrol. You don't want rabid raccoons anywhere near you.

Do healthy racoons live inside during the day???

It is common here this time of year to see a mother living in a tree raising their younglings.

Now that should be on youtube...Raccoons chasing hotdogs

Dad tried it once with ketchup on the hot dog, but the raccoon just gave Dad the finger and kicked the hot dog back out of the attic.

Raccoons aren't that bad. But possums are mean as friggin' hell. And their teeth are like needles.

Yeah, that's the truth. My backyard is on a marsh and we have many critters as well, the racoons don't seem like much of a threat and aren't much of a problem(except the damn trash), but I won't go near those possums. I hear them making noise at all hours of the night.

(Sorry, Golfergal)

That's skunks.

Coons will move when they please, they are primarily nocturnal, but curiosity (and food) will bring them out during the day. They make interesting, albeit troublesome pets. I've known a few folks with them.

Some 12 ga #4 hi brass will take care of them right quick and fast. They're a nuisance in many places around here.

Sorry guys, that is not true at all that if a racoon is out during the day it has rabies. Females that have children WILL look for food during the day, and since JB had three of them in the tree I would strongly suspect that this is the case.

Here are a few links that came up very easily:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070430151305AA3ns4K
http://www.utexas.edu/safety/ehs/animalmakesafe/faq.html#day
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/320280/is_that_raccoon_in_your_yard_rabid.html

Dad tried it once with ketchup on the hot dog, but the raccoon just gave Dad the finger and kicked the hot dog back out of the attic.

That is freaking funny.

Only daytime raccoons I've ever seen were walking around like they were drunk. Rabid. Better safe than sorry.

I say you make a hat out of them JB. It was just a better time when everyone would wear a coon skin cap. Maybe you could start a new trend out on the course.

Is there developement anywhere near you? Thats usually when we start having problems with them.

I say you make a hat out of them JB. It was just a better time when everyone would wear a coon skin cap. Maybe you could start a new trend out on the course.

Is there developement anywhere near you? Thats usually when we start having problems with them.

Davey Crocket day at the country club. :clapp:

Racoons aren't bad until you hit them with the trash bag full of glass jars that you just threw in the dumpster. I just about relieved myself in my pants one day. I threw a bag of trash in the dumpster, turned to get another bag out of my truck and turned to be face to face with a racoon that I just hit with a bag of trash. We both quickly exited the area.

Better safe than sorry.
Absolutely

There you go, take em out and let Golfer Gal prep them for a nice hat.
Racoons aren't bad until you hit them with the trash bag full of glass jars that you just threw in the dumpster. I just about relieved myself in my pants one day. I threw a bag of trash in the dumpster, turned to get another bag out of my truck and turned to be face to face with a racoon that I just hit with a bag of trash. We both quickly exited the area.

Been there, I had to put a bungy cord on my can to avoid that same thing.

There is one in my backyard with 3 legs and no tail who picks up plants out of my garden and eats the roots. If I ever catch him, he will be a two legged raccoon.

Back