Rahm to Callaway?

It's not my favorite move but it's nice to see Callaway pick up a big name. With Phil riding in to the sunset they could use another recognizable name in the stable. It's just too bad they replaced one temperamental player with another.

you can’t discount Phil’s influence here. Both went to ASU and Phil has a real connection to Rahm. It’s a long shot or a different way to think about it, but I wonder if Phil was consulted and maybe talked to Rahm about joining callaway.

you can’t discount Phil’s influence here. Both went to ASU and Phil has a real connection to Rahm. It’s a long shot or a different way to think about it, but I wonder if Phil was consulted and maybe talked to Rahm about joining callaway.
that is a pretty cool angle.

Obviously lots more that goes into it, but having an inside track on what it's like to be a part of the staff is a big deal for these guys (beyond the $$)... and who better to tell that story than a fellow ASU grad for Rahmer?

Not sure how I'd feel about this one. It makes sense for Callaway to expand their staffers that will be playing PGA tournaments for years to come. Rahm's has the talent and the ability to play at a high level for quite some time. His personality, though, as other's have mentioned, doesn't really mesh with Xander and Phil. He'd be more appealing if they wanted to tap the euro market and could put advertising blitzes around Rahm

Seems like a likeable guy now that he's getting his emotions more in check. Maybe he's their international Phil.
This is a big key, he is an international star in golf. I am not sure that Callaway has anyone else besides Phil that would be well-known worldwide.

Number 2 in the world. Wins in Europe and on the PGA Tour. Not extremely difficult to work with for clubs. He doesn't fit the soft goods branding that Callaway has which is probably the only major downside.

If they can successfully get him into the ball, it should work out for them

My Guess at his bag:
2021 Subzero 10.5* w/ Aldila Green Tour 75TX
2021 Subzero 15* w/ Aldila Green Tour 75TX
2021 Subzero 18* w/ AD DI 8X
3U/4U Xforged UT w/ Project X 6.5 built at 3i length loft
4-P XForged w/ Project X 6.5. He played blades in college but has been in a CB since turning pro and has said he wants the forgiveness. These will probably be bent for his gapping since his p750s didn't follow a normal progression. If Xforged or Apex Pro have single piece forged version like last year's Apex Pro dot series, I expect that to be his iron.
Wedges, 52, 56, 60 MD5. He may put a PM grind in. He has used a high toe and still uses one in his 52.
Putter. Stroke Lab Black 10 Slant neck naked. Built at 37"
Ball: CSX. He is coming from TP5 so should be a similar spin model, but I think this will be the biggest challenge.

I think Callaway has quite a bit of upside with him regularly being in contention on multiple continents. He can do media events and seem like a good dude. I also think he is going to be a father sometime next year if I remember correctly and maybe its tradition at this point for spanish TM players to go to Callaway when they become fathers.

I think this, and the international appeal, are big time considerations.

And I think wearing the Callaway brand is a big piece of visibility they’ve been missing.

I mean, I definitely get the appeal. Dude has an awful lot of win potential as his upside.

That in mind, he's about as personable on course as a bee hive, and isn't exactly winning any awards for best interviewer or most likely to spring break with out there. What exactly does that do for a brand? I'd double down on Xander, personally.
Would you take DJ based on that criteria?
(Left of the spring break part b/c well I think he would be up to party lol)

All this said, can you imagine the hullabaloo here if Callaway brought on Cantlay?

Everyone here thinking how big it would be gear wise, and I’m sitting here thinking how big it would be golf ball wise if he put calllaway in play there.

Everyone here thinking how big it would be gear wise, and I’m sitting here thinking how big it would be golf ball wise if he put calllaway in play there.

Could be massive for the golf ball. Internationally it would be rather big too.

Could be massive for the golf ball. Internationally it would be rather big too.
Yup. Reality is he’s not going to be a gear mover, but he IS going to win multiple majors, and if he puts a Callaway ball in and goes and does that in the next year or two, that’s a big deal.

Yup. Reality is he’s not going to be a gear mover, but he IS going to win multiple majors, and if he puts a Callaway ball in and goes and does that in the next year or two, that’s a big deal.

Ball is where they are making a move. If true, his deal has way more upside in that dept.

Rahm has bounced between a few models when he turned pro. His original TM deal did not include the ball if I remember correctly. But on a resign he added the ball. I thinks he went Pro V1x 2015, to TP5x 2017, to TP5x 2019, to TP5 2019. I'm sure there is a ball within the Callaway tour lineup he could play.

Rahm has bounced between a few models when he turned pro. His original TM deal did not include the ball if I remember correctly. But on a resign he added the ball. I thinks he went Pro V1x 2015, to TP5x 2017, to TP5x 2019, to TP5 2019. I'm sure there is a ball within the Callaway tour lineup he could play.
Could? Of course.

Will he though? That would be the bigger story for Callaway imo.

Ball is where they are making a move. If true, his deal has way more upside in that dept.
Totally agree. The new CSX is a killer.

It was the reason Rory ended up choosing TMade and if the ball was as good as it is now, we may not be having this conversation at all.

I've heard on a few podcasts that the Callaway ball has been the hardest thing for Tour Pros to switch to, at least a couple years ago.
Obviously all rumor.

It was the reason Rory ended up choosing TMade and if the ball was as good as it is now, we may not be having this conversation at all.

Depends who you ask : )

Would you take DJ based on that criteria?
(Left of the spring break part b/c well I think he would be up to party lol)
I think it's easier to take a guy who lets the play do the talking than the guy who wears his emotions on his shoulders (in a negative way).

That said, once again I can absolutely understand the draw of Rahm, he's just not a guy I enjoy watching. His antics and tantrums aren't appealing to me at all.

I think it's easier to take a guy who lets the play do the talking than the guy who wears his emotions on his shoulders (in a negative way).

That said, once again I can absolutely understand the draw of Rahm, he's just not a guy I enjoy watching. His antics and tantrums aren't appealing to me at all.

It's funny though looking at their tour staff and looking at the OWGR - it's hard pressed to find a name that wasn't a Callaway Tour Staffer previously.

Also not a lot of names that move the needle that you would think would make the jump.

Agree with the sentiment that Rahm is meh though. Not a fan of his and would act as more of a repellent

Yup. That’s what they told the public alright. ;)

maybe they can go back to the winningest driver on tour commercials?

He's a top player so if it's true I get it BUT I don't love it. Oddly we have seen guys switch equipment and it works out terribly so they are taking a chance.

Back