Rahm to Callaway?

If TM isn’t a priority, that’s fine. Just looks bad to me but I’m not running the company. The message appears to be that TM is good enough for our second/third level guys but not our couple of top guys.

On the gen pop, probably not.

Im going to dance around this a bit, but I definitely didnt mean TM is not a priority.
With that said, a brand like that, doesn't going to pay what adidas and Nike do for apparel, which is shockingly high.
People tend to assume that contracts run out at the same time across the board and that is not always the case.

To use an example. I do not think most golf fans see Xander wearing adidas and think Travis is a lesser brand because of it.

...and I don't see what the company would gain from having him on staff outside of his ranking.
I agree and would further add that I don’t see how very many players really move the needle for an equipment company.

Im going to dance around this a bit, but I definitely didnt mean TM is not a priority.
With that said, a brand like that, doesn't going to pay what adidas and Nike do for apparel, which is shockingly high.
People tend to assume that contracts run out at the same time across the board and that is not always the case.

To use an example. I do not think most golf fans see Xander wearing adidas and think Travis is a lesser brand because of it.

my snap judgment impressions of adidas are: you wore them in other sports, so you picked them up at DSG for golf as well...when I see someone wearing TM, I think "they might be a bit more discerning in their golf attire"...silly, i know...but that's me.

I agree and would further add that I don’t see how very many players really move the needle for an equipment company.
That 'apparel vs equipment' conversation always comes back to me.

Rickie definitely sells, but I have to think his Puma numbers FAR exceed his Cobra numbers. Maybe Bryson a bit different with OL, but still.

I mean, I definitely get the appeal. Dude has an awful lot of win potential as his upside.

That in mind, he's about as personable on course as a bee hive, and isn't exactly winning any awards for best interviewer or most likely to spring break with out there. What exactly does that do for a brand? I'd double down on Xander, personally.
I agree, but would add a question and it is not a cynical question. Who goes out and buys Callaway because Xander is playing it?

he also slams clubs and acts like a b**** while on course..

I get that wins relate to relevance, but I would absolutely not want that dude repping my brand. No chance.
This is my feeling as well. I get that he's younger, winning, and has international appeal but I wouldn't want him.

I agree, but would add a question and it is not a cynical question. Who goes out and buys Callaway because Xander is playing it?
that is a great question.. I have no idea.

That 'apparel vs equipment' conversation always comes back to me.

Rickie definitely sells, but I have to think his Puma numbers FAR exceed his Cobra numbers. Maybe Bryson a bit different with OL, but still.

I would think Callaway would want something more than "just a good/great player"...When you see a Farmer's commercial, Rickie "fits"...and can bring more visibility to the brand(s).

I think people tend to put stock and question "ABC Player uses this, so what", rather than "look at the players winning each week and what do they play".
TaylorMade despite all of their new "uniqueness", hit lightning in a bottle by signing young guys long term that panned out. Callaway, Titleist and TaylorMade all did. For each Colin Morikawa there is an Aaron Wise, etc. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't (yet).

But I think it is silly overall to believe that having guys visible on Sunday using your equipment, ball, etc doesnt move the needle. Hell each year look at what new shaft is hot and then look at the questions that come on the forum about them.

I would think Callaway would want something more than "just a good/great player"...When you see a Farmer's commercial, Rickie "fits"...and can bring more visibility to the brand(s).
great comparison.. but in that one, is Rickie presenting for Puma or Cobra more in those commercials? I'd argue Puma.

great comparison.. but in that one, is Rickie presenting for Puma or Cobra more in those commercials? I'd argue Puma.

I agree with that but I can tell you that last year, when I started playing...and then seeing the Farmer's commercials, Rickie had me more interested in Golf than say having Rahm in whatever commercials he does (workday? CDW? i can't even remember....)

I think people tend to put stock and question "ABC Player uses this, so what", rather than "look at the players winning each week and what do they play".
TaylorMade despite all of their new "uniqueness", hit lightning in a bottle by signing young guys long term that panned out. Callaway, Titleist and TaylorMade all did. For each Colin Morikawa there is an Aaron Wise, etc. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't (yet).

But I think it is silly overall to believe that having guys visible on Sunday using your equipment, ball, etc doesnt move the needle. Hell each year look at what new shaft is hot and then look at the questions that come on the forum about them.
Very insightful. I always kind of look at what moves the needle for we THPers as being different than for the masses. In my mind, having larger numbers of players playing your brand definitely moves the needle, because the mass of consumers say, “Wow, if all those guys are playing it, it must be good.” I definitely would defer to people like you who have so much more ”micro” info than a guy like me making assumptions.

I agree with that but I can tell you that last year, when I started playing...and then seeing the Farmer's commercials, Rickie had me more interested in Golf than say having Rahm in whatever commercials he does (workday? CDW? i can't even remember....)
fair play. those commercials are definitely fun.

I like the one where he's chipping at his neighbors house haha. Making golf fun.

Very insightful. I always kind of look at what moves the needle for we THPers as being different than for the masses. In my mind, having larger numbers of players playing your brand definitely moves the needle, because the mass of consumers say, “Wow, if all those guys are playing it, it must be good.” I definitely would defer to people like you who have so much more ”micro” info than a guy like me making assumptions.

I won't speak to micro info in this sense, but heck, even with THPers, look at the guys that are winning in the tournament threads and the questions that come to the equipment they played afterwards. Just as when a player switches and DOESNT put the new gear in play, the same questions in reverse come up.

But for those speaking apparel and what works, take a look at the amount of top 50 players on tour wearing Nike and adidas. It has not impacted golf sales that neither of those companies make golf clubs.

fair play. those commercials are definitely fun.

I like the one where he's chipping at his neighbors house haha. Making golf fun.

He and Phil bring personality to Golf for most people...I know Golf is on a boom now but if $ is the great motivator for getting players in your gear, why not grab someone that may cut a wider swath with his/her appeal (i.e. Steph Curry...I honestly didn't pay attention to what he was playing :cautious:)

These are things that I am curious about. What made Rickie, Rickie, in the sense that he is desirable as a spokesperson. His record is nice, but not great. Is he that much more charismatic than others? I am not saying he is or isn’t. Did those choosing to use him turn him into a presence? Marketing is such an interesting thing to me, kind of mysterious.

I think he needs to do more than the hat. Callaway has spent a sh**ton of money on Travis Matthew. Plus, doesn’t Callaway still have its Tour Authentic line?
If Rahm doesn’t wear one of those, it’s not a good sign, especially for TM and Cuater. Makes them look like lesser brands.

I would imagine 8/10 consumers have no idea that TM is owned by Callaway, so not sure pushing him into those brands is necessary. I would also imagine the marketing budget for the various brands are quite different, I can’t imagine they are all pulling from a Callaway marketing bucket, since most cases like this the brands typically operate in individual silos with the ability to take advantage of some operational And managerial synergies.

I would imagine 8/10 consumers have no idea that TM is owned by Callaway

Seems like that is something that is desirable. Maybe not.

I won't speak to micro info in this sense, but heck, even with THPers, look at the guys that are winning in the tournament threads and the questions that come to the equipment they played afterwards. Just as when a player switches and DOESNT put the new gear in play, the same questions in reverse come up.

But for those speaking apparel and what works, take a look at the amount of top 50 players on tour wearing Nike and adidas. It has not impacted golf sales that neither of those companies make golf clubs.
This is all so true, but the question that remains for me is how to quantify how much that interest/curiosity actually translates to dollars in sales. I remember going way back to when I read Golf Digest, looking forward every month to its arrival in my mail box. The very first thing I would turn to was the little feature showing what a particular tour pro played, wore, etc. I love to see the WITB stuff, but it never makes me feel the need to go buy it. I just find it interesting to see what works for a guy/woman who has that level of talent. I may be weird, though.

Also, to your other point, I think that a lot of people see a tour player wearing something and feel the urge to buy it. They definitely create a “cool” factor, based on what they wear.

Big fan of Callaway as they helped Daly after his issues and rooting they Rahm. Guy has unreal talent if he keeps emotions could move to very top.

I am not a Rahm fan perse, but he is a young very talented player that is going to win, and likely win at least one major fairly soon. He has appeal both here and in Europe, plays a lot on both sides of the pond.

I also think anytime you can steal a major cog from your biggest competitions stable it makes for good marketing content. They did some good stuff with molinari after he came over and what he liked so much about callaway and how it was better than what he was playing before.

Personality wise I would go after Justin Thomas instead of Rahm, but the fact that Rahm has more international appeal and he is coming from TM vs titleist, it does make sense.

This is all so true, but the question that remains for me is how to quantify how much that interest/curiosity actually translates to dollars in sales. I remember going way back to when I read Golf Digest, looking forward every month to its arrival in my mail box. The very first thing I would turn to was the little feature showing what a particular tour pro played, wore, etc. I love to see the WITB stuff, but it never makes me feel the need to go buy it. I just find it interesting to see what works for a guy/woman who has that level of talent. I may be weird, though.

Also, to your other point, I think that a lot of people see a tour player wearing something and feel the urge to buy it. They definitely create a “cool” factor, based on what they wear.

Genuine question. Tomorrow its announced that Fill in the Blank marginal PGA Tour switches to a different brand. They come out and all of the sudden win multiple times and are always in hte hunt on Sunday. That doesn't make most golfers say "Hmmm, I think I want to try that"?

Yeah, but does Rahm present like a guy who fits into the TM or Cuater brand?
I actually think he could pull those off

Genuine question. Tomorrow its announced that Fill in the Blank marginal PGA Tour switches to a different brand. They come out and all of the sudden win multiple times and are always in hte hunt on Sunday. That doesn't make most golfers say "Hmmm, I think I want to try that"?
Oh, for sure, in that scenario. Running a business and being somebody who has traded stocks in the markets for more than 30 years, ROI is a big thing to me. That’s sort of what drives some of my thinking on this topic. How many players does a company have to sign to capture this scenario, and when it happens, how many dollars in sales does it generate? Some things I would think have to be done to remain a top OEM, even if doesn’t bring a positive ROI. Having a number of recognized tour players may be one of those. I honestly don’t know.

Back