Whether it’s first dose or not, you are not considered fully vaccinated until 2 weeks after the 2nd dose or 2 weeks after the 1st J&J dose. Again this is just stating facts and nothing else.

Full disclosure, I work on all the vaccines daily. I just want the facts out there.

PGA is too reactionary. Should have let Rahm play alone, away from all others and wearing a mask. So much of this pandemic is theoretical, supposition, very frustrating, and extremely unfair to Rahm. If I were Cantalay, I'd give the $ to legitimate medical research, if it exists anymore.

Forget the politics of it all. Here is the dumbest dumb part about what happened to Rahm.

Would you like to guess how many people in this picture are required to be tested in order to be there? That's correct, the only one currently social distancing lmao

1623167543468.png

I bet if you polled all the players, not one of them would be against him having played out the tournament.

Every one of the players who made the cut should kick over a portion of their check to Rahm. He's probably already worth a hundred million, so he doesn't need it, but it would be the just thing to do.

Forget the politics of it all. Here is the dumbest dumb part about what happened to Rahm.

Would you like to guess how many people in this picture are required to be tested in order to be there? That's correct, the only one currently social distancing lmao

View attachment 9012001
Sooooo dumb! Wishful thinking, but I wouldn’t mind a player calling it out 🤷‍♂️

I bet if you polled all the players, not one of them would be against him having played out the tournament.

Every one of the players who made the cut should kick over a portion of their check to Rahm. He's probably already worth a hundred million, so he doesn't need it, but it would be the just thing to do.
It’s tough to paint with a broad brush. Covid is a very touchy subject with people on the both ends of the spectrum. CT Pan withdrew from the Players last year before they cancelled the event. I’m sure you’d find players on both sides of the argument.

View attachment 9012001
This is so true and a stark contrast; however, the PGA has control over the testing protocol of the players and not the fans. From the PGA's perspective, it's either fans or no fans. Mask requirements, Covid testing and vaccination information regarding the fans is a nonstarter. Mask enforcement is quite difficult. The other two (testing/vaxx status) are virtually impossible for the fans. I don't think there is an outcome in this scenario that's palatable to all.

My natural inclination is that they could've accomodated him and let him play solo on Sunday. However, that misaligns incentives. If that happened to number 10 on the leaderboard, does he receive the same accomodation? Number 20? number 40? The only person who largely had control over the situation was Rahm himself, so modifying the rules that the players are aware of doesn't make much sense despite the outcome going against how we all would want it to have concluded. Absent a historic meltdown on Sunday, he would've won. You live and you learn I guess.

This is so true and a stark contrast; however, the PGA has control over the testing protocol of the players and not the fans. From the PGA's perspective, it's either fans or no fans. Mask requirements, Covid testing and vaccination information regarding the fans is a nonstarter. Mask enforcement is quite difficult. The other two (testing/vaxx status) are virtually impossible for the fans. I don't think there is an outcome in this scenario that's palatable to all.

My natural inclination is that they could've accomodated him and let him play solo on Sunday. However, that misaligns incentives. If that happened to number 10 on the leaderboard, does he receive the same accomodation? Number 20? number 40? The only person who largely had control over the situation was Rahm himself, so modifying the rules that the players are aware of doesn't make much sense despite the outcome going against how we all would want it to have concluded. Absent a historic meltdown on Sunday, he would've won. You live and you learn I guess.
Why is it impossible for the fans to show a negative test result or a proof of vaccine? The NBA does it, why can't the PGA?

I don't see why a player out there solo (or at least out there with someone fully vaccinated respecting social distancing) is problematic for the tour.

My feedback isn't about them adhering to the rule, either - it's about being inconsistent. Why are fans treated differently? Are volunteers tested the same way? Why is it not one thing for all?

Money?
Optics?

View attachment 9012001

you could certainly make that point. And all of those people there are able to get vaccinated right on-site if they choose to.
The tour did relax their policy on testing for those players/caddies who had been fully vaccinated so that they would not need to adhere to testing. Now with contact tracing, I don't know how that would have changed things for him or not. But you could also make the point if he had gotten the vaccine in a more timely manner, he would be holding a trophy on Sunday.

you could certainly make that point. And all of those people there are able to get vaccinated right on-site if they choose to.
The tour did relax their policy on testing for those players/caddies who had been fully vaccinated so that they would not need to adhere to testing. Now with contact tracing, I don't know how that would have changed things for him or not. But you could also make the point if he had gotten the vaccine in a more timely manner, he would be holding a trophy on Sunday.
My interest in the decision isn't relevant to the accessibility to a vaccine or the decision to get one. that stuff really isn't on my radar (at least not on the internet lmao)

What is lost on me, is why fans would be treated differently than players. Why anyone involved in a tour event would have different rules than others.

Perhaps its different at outside events or by state rules. But in NY I needed to show proof of being vaccinated (or show negative test within 24hours) to go to both a NY Rangers (NHL) game and the NY Mets (Baseball) game. Just assumed the PGA events (with the exception of Texas events) would require the same.

My interest in the decision isn't relevant to the accessibility to a vaccine or the decision to get one. that stuff really isn't on my radar (at least not on the internet lmao)

What is lost on me, is why fans would be treated differently than players. Why anyone involved in a tour event would have different rules than others.
I think the PGL said it best and most truthfully.

Because for us it’s not about the money. It’s just about better.

I will leave any subtle hints of sarcasm open to full interpretation.

Perhaps its different at outside events or by state rules. But in NY I needed to show proof of being vaccinated (or show negative test within 24hours) to go to both a NY Rangers (NHL) game and the NY Mets (Baseball) game. Just assumed the PGA events (with the exception of Texas events) would require the same.
Not at all. Also, based on the pic I just showed, not at all being enforced.

100% for show.

Not exactly a difficult thing to fake, but it makes someone feel good about themselves. (And maybe keep the lawyers at bay.)

just popped onto the Traveler's tournament website. Heading there to watch the tourney in a few weeks. No mention of proof of vaccination. There are rules that spectators cannot have any contact with the players. Masks are optional for vaccinated spectators, and "suggested" for non vaccinated. That's not mandatory, nor would I imagine it could be capable of being enforced. on premises.

I think that again goes back to what is the PGA tours product? It is the players. They can control their product, not much else. Still lots to be critical about. But if they chose to have fans at the events then I think they accept the risk that fans will spread it to fans again right or wrong. The players are mostly out of reach from the fans although not entirely. But are in pretty close contact to each other. The risk of spread from the fans to the players is relatively low. The product spreading to more of their product is what they want and care to control..

That is the difference right or wrong in my mind. I don't pretend to know or have any definitive answer on this.

Not at all. Also, based on the pic I just showed, not at all being enforced.

The PGA tour policy looks to be in line with CDC recommendations. If it went any further like requiring masks or requiring prof of Vaccination, it’s more than fair to say that the golfing community would call them out for going too far.

Jon knew the PGA policy and whether that policy is right, fair, etc does not really matter. He made a personal choice and is now living with the results of that choice.

It’s ignorant wanting to put a COVID positive person out in public to play a game. The protocol and common sense says to isolate. Not that it would make much of a difference but this event isn’t even a career changer for Rahm.

I think that again goes back to what is the PGA tours product? It is the players. They can control their product, not much else. Still lots to be critical about. But if they chose to have fans at the events then I think they accept the risk that fans will spread it to fans again right or wrong. The players are mostly out of reach from the fans although not entirely. But are in pretty close contact to each other. The risk of spread from the fans to the players is relatively low. The product spreading to more of their product is what they want and care to control..

That is the difference right or wrong in my mind. I don't pretend to know or have any definitive answer on this.
Other professional leagues can control the fans, why is it so hard for the PGA to do so?

The PGA tour policy looks to be in line with CDC recommendations. If it went any further like requiring masks or requiring prof of Vaccination, it’s more than fair to say that the golfing community would call them out for going too far.

Jon knew the PGA policy and whether that policy is right, fair, etc does not really matter. He made a personal choice and is now living with the results of that choice.
I don't understand why you're quoting my comments and saying this?

I haven't once said they went too far with Rahm.

At this point, I’d just like to see all restrictions and protocols lifted - go back to common sense. I’m vaccinated and if you chose not to be it doesn’t affect me. This gray area just makes it all that more confusing.

Perhaps. Although the independent contractor aspect says otherwise. I would say the product is the tournament more than the players, as they come and go.

I don't understand why you're quoting my comments and saying this?

I haven't once said they went too far with Rahm.
You posted the policy. I am just referencing it. Absolutely nothing about anything you said. Sorry about that if you interpreted it that way.

Why is it impossible for the fans to show a negative test result or a proof of vaccine? The NBA does it, why can't the PGA?
Fair point on the negative testing requirement. I was thinking it was a nonstarter based on the location of the event, but Ohio doesn't have prohibitions on requiring negative testing or proof of vaccine. We went to an event that required you to show your vaccination status or register through CLEAR to have proof of a negative test. I was thinking an indoor venue would require a heightened level of requirements compared to an outdoor venue in states with lesser requirements, but you're correct: the PGA could've followed the requirements for fan attendance that the NBA, MLB, NHL use.

Well the inmates don't run the asylum. I'm sure if you polled a bunch of players on various topics you'd get whole different set of rules for golf than what they play under today. It wasn't their decision to make. I can almost guarantee nobody on tour is giving John Rahm a handout. He made his bed and he is lying in it. If I were playing and got paid for it and someone asked me to give some of my pay to someone who didn't get paid based on the rules set forth, I'd tell them to go pound sand.

Back