Raised Cups or Styrofoam in the cup

I went and looked at your pic again Jeremy. Our course that did that sunk the cup lower and it wasn't as bad as that.

If done right I can see it working ok I guess but last night nobody was making putts. I had a 12" putt for birdie barely tapped it in and it was rejected. As a group we just decided if it hit the metal or the pin and wasn't traveling at a speed that it wouldn't have gone it it counted.

If done right I can see it working ok I guess but last night nobody was making putts. I had a 12" putt for birdie barely tapped it in and it was rejected. As a group we just decided if it hit the metal or the pin and wasn't traveling at a speed that it wouldn't have gone it it counted.
Our courses have remained open throughout so I guess there's been time for complaints and/or staff to re-think their strategies. Yesterday's course was the third one so far that had used inverted cups when we played them earlier but has since converted over to pool noodles. I greatly prefer noodles or properly sized PVC to inverted cups, We've hit 14 different courses so far and thankfully none have done the raised cup method.

Whether the cup is raised, upside down, uses foam or PVC it is obviously OK and even necessary to use good judgment as to whether or not a missed putt (or a chip for that matter) that hit the hole would have been holed under normal circumstances. It is also true that one group of guys will be more :lenient: than another but it is what it is. However, even if a ball is touching a raised cup it is not a HIO as some are insisting elsewhere. For a HIO the ball must be within the circumference of the hole. There is not way to make a judgment from 100+ yards away as to whether or not that ball would have dropped. I've had any number of near aces that when we got to the green the ball had stopped on the lip. Just my opinion.

Our courses have remained open throughout so I guess there's been time for complaints and/or staff to re-think their strategies. Yesterday's course was the third one so far that had used inverted cups when we played them earlier but has since converted over to pool noodles. I greatly prefer noodles or properly sized PVC to inverted cups, We've hit 14 different courses so far and thankfully none have done the raised cup method.
Couldn’t agree more. We had the pool noodles today and by far the best experience I’ve had in my 3 rounds.

Played with pool noodles today and was a significantly better experience than the raised cups. I blasted one putt that may have fallen without the foam, but still better than raised cups.

Played with pool noodles today and was a significantly better experience than the raised cups. I blasted one putt that may have fallen without the foam, but still better than raised cups.
So far the pool noodles are the best solution I've seen. They're the most like having the normal cup.

@jdtox I played over the weekend and ours were definitely set a little lower than yours. I think we had one pop out the entire day and we counted it. 20200503_080835.jpg

Played a course yesterday that had the "cups" lower than the others I've seen, a full ball below the rim, playing wise it was pretty much the same as standard and certainly the best I've played, I'd have no problem going back to normal cups but this will do, I just the hope the other courses that have raised cups will get this system in place soon.

We had a unique challenge when we played Saturday. It was a course using the foam (cut pool noodles) which has been great for us during this time but it was a very windy day where we would normally pull the pins when putting off we were allowed to. On a long putt it hit the flag dead center with the right pace but stayed on the lip because the wind was dead into and pushing the flagstick forward so there was no room for the ball to go in.

The course I played yesterday had pool noodles in the cups. The bad part was they cut the noodles too long and had barely any cup for the ball to drop into.
I had 2 putts that went in and out and the guy I was playing with had 3 of them. After his 2nd one, we decided to call the putts good if we decided that they would have dropped without the noodle in there. We complained at the clubhouse and just got a stink eye in return.....lol.

Played a course like that last week, The noodles were a good 8" above the top of the cup so you just hit the noodle. Guy i was playing with hit the noodle a couple of time, just skinned it at a good clip, but it deflected the path of the ball...."WHOO MADE IT...".... yea, no

Dang donny475:confused: We still haven't played a course with the cup or noodle extending above the surface but that has to be the worst option. Especially if golfers score those glancing rocket shots as 'good'.

View attachment 8940544

Saw this setup in an email from one of the local courses. Seems less Macgyver'd than the pool noodle. I wonder if this would reject more putts since it is rigid.
I like these because the provide a warning sooo people don't accidentally take it out!

Need it to be a little lower in the cup!

I like these because the provide a warning sooo people don't accidentally take it out!

Need it to be a little lower in the cup!
They weren't too bad actually. Only a couple rejected putts and since it sat on top of the cup liner, the ball didnt get wedged against the flagstick.

Had raised cups this past round. We decided anything that hits the cup is in.... it was a lot of fun

I guess I will find out Friday when my course finally re-opens what hole modifications are in place. Definitely do not want to see the cup raised above the surface of the green.

Have the pool noodle thing in the cup. Haven't had any issue with any putts in my two rounds.

The course I played last week was the pool noodle in the cup. I liked the pool noodle as the ball could still roll into the hole.

Our course went back to regular cups some time between Friday and today. Still have to leave the flagstick in.

Back