Raised Cups or Styrofoam in the cup

I've got lysol soaked pieces of paper towel in ziploc bags that I've been taking out with me.

Wiping down the ball after every hole or two is surprisingly 'feel good' mental stuff - especially when I pull the ball out of the cup (top of the cup, whatever haha)

A local course I went to on Thursday it down the foam to let the ball rest on it. So no more bouncing the ball off of the foam and no need for a raised cup.

The local I played today had the pool noodles in the cup & that seem to work well.

I prefer the pool noodle in the cup.. Seeing the ball go in still is a good thing for me

I played the foam insert in the cups today and didn't notice a difference, to be honest. I didn't touch a single flagstick or cup surface the entire day. It's the first time I've played with the foam inserts and I have to say that it's a pretty ingenious idea.

I think where raised cups have been used and scores have still been posted it could, we have styro installed at my home course and I don't think it's affected the scores at all.

anyone have a picture of the PVC pipe hole set up? Going to make this recommendation to the course today.

anyone have a picture of the PVC pipe hole set up? Going to make this recommendation to the course today.

pinehurst_1920_pvcpipe_hole_ball.jpg

The latest word here is we will have no flags sticks and cups raised above green level when we get the ok to play golf again. They just started allowing mowing of golf courses yesterday so that a move in the right direction.

I feel like the PVC Should be a little taller to make everyone feel a little bit better, even if the ball doesn't drop. I feel like this is the best solution as of yet to take safety and play-ability into account at golf courses.

Work kept me away yesterday and today of course when I want to play and have the schedule that allows it = RAIN RAIN RAIN...🌧🌧🌧🌧

I've been playing my home course which is using a raised cup. Everyone is playing by generous rules so there are a lot of putts being ruled good that would probably be lip outs or burn the edge. I'm playing with a friend in a few hours in a skins game at another course that is using the pool noodle below the hole so I will see how that works out.

I’ve played both types and the styrofoam in the hole makes me feel a bit better about my scores being legit. I’ve played more with the styrofoam than the raised cups. I can’t complain on either. Just glad these courses are open.

Raised cups is the way to go. No need to reach down and put your hand close to the hole.

I’ve played both types and the styrofoam in the hole makes me feel a bit better about my scores being legit. I’ve played more with the styrofoam than the raised cups. I can’t complain on either. Just glad these courses are open.
I agree here. We've been told at our club to post scores as normal and use judgement of if you think it would go in or not. Everyone has been very generous though and I don't feel like it's a true representation of score. A bunch of guys are putting much more aggressive because they feel like it they do miss and its long they have a lot better chance of making the comeback.

The course I’ve been playing is using raised cups. I think it depends on how you choose to play it. I’ve seen some just try and drill it at the cup so break is not an issue. Me I’m trying to putt as if I want the ball to drop in the cup. I don’t want to waste the time on the course. I want it to be good practice time for when we return to normal. I’ve also noticed that it appears USA GHIN has adjusted the scoring at my course. From par 72 to 70.

The course I’ve been playing is using raised cups. I think it depends on how you choose to play it. I’ve seen some just try and drill it at the cup so break is not an issue. Me I’m trying to putt as if I want the ball to drop in the cup. I don’t want to waste the time on the course. I want it to be good practice time for when we return to normal. I’ve also noticed that it appears USA GHIN has adjusted the scoring at my course. From par 72 to 70.

Now that's interesting.... they changed the par not the slope/rating?

I've played both situations so far. I far prefer the foam/PVC in the cups verses the raises or inverted cups. As @ApexFan mentions, its to easy to just punch it at the cup and if it tips off of it, its good. I much prefer seeing the ball sink into the edge and allow me to keep managing speed. I did have a ball bounce out on a putt yesterday when I played that i am sure would have stayed in without the foam in the hole but them's the breaks.

Having done both now at different courses the foam or PVC below the lip is much better and it feels more legit. I really had fun banging it off the raised cup but honestly it is not really putting imo and I am playing there again Friday so lets see if I can beat the 74 from last time...unless it drops even a bit into the hole who knows what would happen.

We played Sunday with the foam in the hole and a buddy had 4 birdies putts lip out / burn the edge and not drop and 2 pars go all the way around and out. he was just cursed in putting that day, never seen so many missed putts that should have gone in but did not and the cup setup had nothing to do with it.

Now that's interesting.... they changed the par not the slope/rating?
Perhaps the slope but I just notice the par as it coincides with my HC.

what i meant was, are you sure they changed par? seems like a funny thing to change instead of changing the rating/slope. did they take a par 5 to a 3 or two par 5s to 4s?

I agree here. We've been told at our club to post scores as normal and use judgement of if you think it would go in or not. Everyone has been very generous though and I don't feel like it's a true representation of score. A bunch of guys are putting much more aggressive because they feel like it they do miss and its long they have a lot better chance of making the comeback.
We're being pretty realistic about it. With the inverted cups, a lot of putts are hitting the metal teats and popping out. If it's obvious that it would have been a holed putt, it's given - if it's iffy, you putt again.

We're being pretty realistic about it. With the inverted cups, a lot of putts are hitting the metal teats and popping out. If it's obvious that it would have been a holed putt, it's given - if it's iffy, you putt again.
I think that is a lot easier to tell. It's hard to see a putt hit the raised cup and be able to tell IMO.

I think that is a lot easier to tell. It's hard to see a putt hit the raised cup and be able to tell IMO.
I agree, the raised cups leave a lot more gray area. It would be too easy just to clank it off them and call it good.

Our our course went from raised cups to pool noodles today. I kind of like them better than I like the raised cups. Seems like the raised cups were pushing the edges of the hole up and outwards. Plus the raise cups had a weird visual to them. Not that the pool noodles don't, but it just seems to work a little bit better for me.

Back