Raised Cups or Styrofoam in the cup

Bjornjorg

2023 Srixon Experience
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My question to you all is simply this: Do you think that the raised cups or styrofoam is the hole that doesn't allow the ball to go in all the way will eventually affect scores and handicaps without some sort of standard being discussed as to what counts as in or out?

Raised cups... putting to something that you just have to hit regardless of whether your ball stops close or ricochets off and stops 15 yards away will effect score more than the pool noodle in the cup I think.

Not at all. What will happen is those that are giving themselves greater than 4’ gimmies that will lower handicaps. In my opinion each his own only hurting themselves.

I am just happy to be allowed to play golf right now. I do prefer the styrfoam cups, but if I’m thinking safety (COVID-19) I’d prefer raised.

Let’s flatten this curve so we can all enjoy golfing with a foursome soon!

Raised cups... putting to something that you just have to hit regardless of whether your ball stops close or ricochets off and stops 15 yards away will effect score more than the pool noodle in the cup I think.
I actually meant either. Will either of these things end up messing or changing handicaps? And how do we judge if it actually would have gone in?!?!?

I tend to play with people who make you putt everything out so not so much for me.

I think the lifted cup will slightly lower scores as players pull the ole "but it hit the cup, that means its in" routine even if it was 1/2" outside the hole.
On the flip side, my guess is the styrofoam will there will be "that would be in if it wasn't for the styrofoam" when the ball is stroked a little to firm and it bounces out and might increase scores a bit.

Total guess of course.

Played inverted cups today which was ok. You could tell what was a in or not. Barely nicking a raised cup would not be a good putt normally. But who cares right now? Enjoy your time outside and practice safe social distancing without touching anything. And be thankful that your course is open.

Played inverted cups today which was ok. You could tell what was a in or not. Barely nicking a raised cup would not be a good putt normally. But who cares right now? Enjoy your time outside and practice safe social distancing without touching anything. And be thankful that your course is open.

This!

I tend to play with people who make you putt everything out so not so much for me.

I think the lifted cup will slightly lower scores as players pull the ole "but it hit the cup, that means its in" routine even if it was 1/2" outside the hole.
On the flip side, my guess is the styrofoam will there will be "that would be in if it wasn't for the styrofoam" when the ball is stroked a little to firm and it bounces out and might increase scores a bit.

Total guess of course.
Played on Sat with the styrofoam in the cup and my buddy chipped one in and out, bouncing off the styrofoam, so it just got me thinking how many would count it in, how many say it's not in, etc... Just made me wonder.

I haven't had the chance to play at all with Michigan weather and our governor refusing to open up golf courses but If I were to be able I think I'd prefer the styrofoam insert. A raised cup isn't the same to me

due to however the hole is, do you think or are people posting their scores?
when i go out and play do i need to post a score even?
if your actually posting i think this will lower handicaps and at some point people say im just not posting because the way this looks i have a 5 handicap and im actually a 15...
people will start calling them gimmies in that 2-5' range when we all know some of them are missed from time to time unfortunately.

I actually meant either. Will either of these things end up messing or changing handicaps? And how do we judge if it actually would have gone in?!?!?
That's kind of how I took your question... and I think that puting to a raised cup is easier... "it touched the cup! It counts!!":D

Played on Sat with the styrofoam in the cup and my buddy chipped one in and out, bouncing off the styrofoam, so it just got me thinking how many would count it in, how many say it's not in, etc... Just made me wonder.

Yeah, same here. I would think if it didn't stay in and styrofoam was used, you have to count it like any other time the ball bounces out of the cup, yes? Or do you just say if it went in and bounced out then consider it holed? :unsure:

I played my local 9 today and they had a piece of pvc in the cup. Worked great. They had raised cups
last week and it was fine, but this was better. Glad to get out and didn’t touch anythin, carried my bag and had hand sanitizer.

I've seen a couple from playing partners that probably would've stay in a regular cup but directly hit one of the prongs of the inverted cup and came out. I'd usually be posting scores at this time but I'm not. All the regular guys I play with have decided to extend gimmees out to about 4 feet given the circumstances. Both the putts I saw hop back out were also counted as good, something I've never seen those guys do. We're all just happy to be out playing and hoping our gov't doesn't shut us down. I don't think any of us are posting scores. We aren't even squaring bets yet, just keeping running tabs until cash is safe.

raised cups impact scores but styrofoam/pvc rings have minimal to no impact

Raised cups definitely will affect more people but who cares let them lower their handicap... When I play them and their bogus raised cups handicap they will regret it.

so far, raised cups haven't helped me :cry:

Either way it's good guys can "argue" about this. The Gov of PA shut courses down a few weeks ago.:cry:

Raised cups will lower scores. So will the gimmes people will take where there is foam, because they still don't want to touch near the pin. We're supposed to use the most likely score procedure, but people will stretch it.

Except around here, apparently. The city course I played today had neither of those safeties in effect. Business as usual as far as the pin is concerned. 'Suggested' you leave it in is all.

Gold jacket, green jacket...

I think raised has to help. All you have to do is aim. Get close, aim and get it there... boom. It definitely takes the finesse out of putting.

I’m not making many putts so minimal effect for me. I can see the raised cup dropping a few putts that may have otherwise stayed out.

If the course had adopted a local rule declaring it holed if it hits a raised cup, then it's holed. Nothing shady about that and it should affect ther handicap as such.

I think it's going to depend on the integrity of the individual golfer and how liberal they are with their interpretation of the temporary rules. If you honestly think it would have gone in, count it; if not, add another stroke for your "tap in". Clanking off the side of the raised cup as it rolls by isn't a holed putt, IMO.

Everybody likes to shoot lower scores, but I wouldn't take any pleasure in a vanity handicap 4 or 5 strokes lower than I know it should be. I don't even gamble when I golf, but I'd feel silly telling people I was playing off 12 when I know good and well that I'm a 17.

I tend to agree with snowman... aiming for and legit hitting the raised cup with good speed and the ball stopping close is a more realistic representation of what the course is trying to do instead of just shotgunning the ball towards the pin and calling a touch good.

Back