Raised Cups or Styrofoam in the cup

I play raised cups just like I do normal. If the ball does not go in the hole you have missed it and you hit again. Cheating is cheating - if I put a score on the card that is false it really hurts me more than it does anyone else.

I did notice playing at another course Satuday how different the raised cups were there. The ball did not go as low as they do on my local course and you had to watch your putting speeds. It added a level of challenge that was kind of cool and tested your putting ability a bit more - at least it did mine.

The raised cups will definitely have an impact on handicaps. Last week, we played that if you hit the cup (Actually makes a cool ding sound lol) then it is in the hole. By the end of the round, no one was playing for break and just nailing putts and hitting the cup. We only played nine, but I think I only had 12 putts? Which is definitely lower than usual. With that being said, the raised cup will definitely improve handicaps.

Not a huge fan of either but the pool noodle to me is definitely the better option. You can usually tell when a ball drops in and bounces out off the noodle if it would have stayed in on an empty cup.

I have not had the opportunity to play with raised cups but after using the pool noodle in the cup I don't see any issues with a ball popping out on a putt.

What about no bunker shots? That is going to have a bigger impact on scoring

I have not had the opportunity to play with raised cups but after using the pool noodle in the cup I don't see any issues with a ball popping out on a putt.

I have not seen a course that said no bunker shots. That is a new one. I have seen them say don’t take the bunkers and remove the takes. That makes a lot more sense to me.

I agree with @Snowman with knowing if a putt would go in or not and being honest about it. I like what some courses are doing where they flip the cup upside down to where the ball will somewhat go into the hole. Ive heard some issues with this though with high winds. The only reason I would really prefer this over raised cups or foam is last Thursday Ive been closer than I ever have to making a HIO. The ball ended up 3-4 inches away pin high after I flew it past and it came back. Did it hit foam or just roll there, dont know and never will. So for that reason and for awesome chip-ins and hole outs, upside down cups would be best.

Course I played yesterday inserted the cups upside down. That way the ball stays at the top. pin inserts but not as deeply. raised cups are just stupid....

I play raised cups just like I do normal. If the ball does not go in the hole you have missed it and you hit again. Cheating is cheating - if I put a score on the card that is false it really hurts me more than it does anyone else.

I did notice playing at another course Satuday how different the raised cups were there. The ball did not go as low as they do on my local course and you had to watch your putting speeds. It added a level of challenge that was kind of cool and tested your putting ability a bit more - at least it did mine.
I think in the context of this thread, people are talking about raised cups as in being raised above the level of the green, so the ball won't drop in at all. So the only way you'd be able to get your ball in the hole would be to chip it in over the lip of the raised cup.

Played on Sat with the styrofoam in the cup and my buddy chipped one in and out, bouncing off the styrofoam, so it just got me thinking how many would count it in, how many say it's not in, etc... Just made me wonder.

Happened to my wife this past weekend, about 70 out she slam dunk rung the raised cup like a bell and the ball shot off the green. She said "that counts", I said "not arguing, I'll count it".:ROFLMAO:

I think in the context of this thread, people are talking about raised cups as in being raised above the level of the green, so the ball won't drop in at all. So the only way you'd be able to get your ball in the hole would be to chip it in over the lip of the raised cup.
Oh gotcha. I was not thinking raised in that manner. So far none of the courses around here have them raised above the level of the green. Not sure I would like that at all.

I like the small cylinder of PVC inside the cup better than the foam noodle. I've tried both and in each round, hit a putt that hit off of the foam/PVC and bounced out. I THINK the one hit the foam (there's no other explanation), but I couldn't tell for sure. With the PVC, there was a clear noise that left no question what happened.

Well, if I recall Golf in itself is a gentleman’s game. Honor, and integrity has a lot to do with the game if you ask me. I am not going to bang a 5 footer at a raised cup to take out the break because if I miss it then I have a 10 footer.
igeneralky air for 2’ past the cup. The only thing this may do is, not have me worry so much about leaving it short.
Hopefully everybody keeps the same honor system

The noodles in the bottom of the cups I actually like. I would not mind them all the time and they appear accurate. The issue would be someone holeing out from a bunker or rough might bounce out. I think it actually speeds play up.

have not played on an above ground situation but I think that would make you feel better then you played.

No more pool noodles in the cups for Ohio. Mandatory raised cups from the health agency. I was fine with the noodles, but agree raised cup leaves less chances of spread from touching the flag pole or side of the cup.

Raised cups take away lip outs, and putts that were stroked to fast, that run over the top of the cup. So yeah, there's going to be a negative effect on how golf is currently scored.

I have been putting WAY better with the raised cups. I think there is perhaps a lesson here about hitting putts a little more firmly. I guess we'll find out when they put them back down in a week or two (switching to pool noodle method after aeration, I believe). I pretty much can't miss inside ten feet. Other guys haven't been faring as well, so who knows. Shot a 72 yesterday, which was ridiculous.

Hitting vs dropping is very different. It’s a similar skill, but I think the foam is a better choice since it still requires the ball drop.

Our course has the PVC pipe in it and it’s working well.

Low enough to accept a ball, high enough to reach in and grab without touching anything.

Has this been posted? If not it's a good laugh...Raised Cups
Screenshot_20200404-231654__01.jpg

My home course has the cups installed upside-down so they're very shallow. The course we played today uses the pool noodles around the flagstick. Having played both, I like the pool noodles better - it still allows your putt to fall, but not so deep that you have to dig into the hole to get it out. The inverted cups are shallower, don't hold a putt as well, and also have three metal projections that can kick a putt back out of the cup.

I played at a course with the foam noodle in the cup Friday and really there is not a lot of difference that I can tell, other than the ball is slightly higher with the plastic cup turned upside down. They both do the job, yet I would give the edge to the pool noodles.

The course I've gone over to in NY has pool noodles but they extend above the surface of the hole. You putt up against them but there's some give to them so the way the ball hits the noodle is very telling. We found it quite easy to tell what would have dropped and what wouldn't. We didn't count glancing strikes against the edge but one that curls and dies at the hole and gently taps against the noodle...well that one's in.

None of the courses I've played so far have had the cups or foam extended above the surface but I doubt I'd prefer that solution. The ball was able to 'fall in' at the courses I've played recently which just seems a lot more realistic. Five had inverted cups, two had short segments of pool noodle, none used pvc. I like the noodle solution much better of the two options I've played. Seen a few of my playing partners putts kick back out if they directly hit one of the three posts of the inverted cups as they went in. As to the original question I think the noodle would also have the least impact on handicaps, raised cups most, but not any major difference, regardless.

Last edited:
...Seen a few of my playing partners putts kick back out if they directly hit one of the three posts of the inverted cups as they went in...
We've seen that too, and we count those as holed putts if we agree that it would have otherwise dropped. Didn't see any kickouts yesterday with the pool noodles, so I definitely like that solution better.

Course I played last week had pieces of PVC pipe in the cup around the pin. Ball still dropped but prevented you from having to pull the pin to retrieve it.

I thought it was a great way to protect golfers but I also don’t care what courses have to do. As long as we still get to play, i just don’t want golf to become a reason more ppl get infected.

Back