Random Computer Question Thread

JTnumbers

College Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 0.2
Okay, making a new thread for anybody who has a problem with their computer and needs help resolving it. This is the thread to post questions, etc.

I have a question right now.

My computer is currently making these really annoying sound effects. No 2 sound effects are the same and they occur every 5 minutes randomly. I'm afraid that it might be a Trojan Horse of some sort making fun of me, but I'm not 100% sure. Can anybody maybe have a solution?

Assuming you have a PC and not Mac. Have you checking your task manager and see what processes are running?

Assuming you have a PC and not Mac. Have you checking your task manager and see what processes are running?

I did and it was nothing really unusual and out of the ordinary. It was actually funny, the second I started my Task Manager, the sound effect went away. When I closed Task Manager after looking through it, about a minute later, A different sound effect popped up out of nowhere. It's just weird.

However, I haven't had one since posting this thread. I hope it was just some freak thing.

Try booting into safe mode (F8 until you get there while booting) and see if it happens then. If not, then it is loading after the MBR and should be able to be resolved. In the Run command window (in normal boot mode) type "msconfig". Switch to the "Startup" tab and see what is loading.
msconfig.jpg

Usually tasks being loaded as malware have no mfg next to the description. You can uncheck the items that look flaky one by one, but it requires a restart after making those changes. If you disable something you actually need, simply go back and check it to run.

You may have already done this, but just a thought.

you guys are too smart, all this windows talk confuses me lol, I use a mac because I'm stupid when it comes to computers hahahaha, nice post though Mr Janitor

I agree with Doug. Uncheck programs you don't need at startup. I personally have no programs other than essential ones run at startup. If I need to use the program I'll run it manually.

By doing this you will know if something is loading that shouldn't.

I forgot how much PCs confuse me. I get some of that same clicks and things from an external hard drive and was told to reformat the disk. I hope that's not the route you are headed.

One thing most people neglect when running windows is checking for spyware regularly. The best free program I've found is Malwarebytes Anti-malware. Even if you have a good antivirus program, bad and annoying things can still sneak in. If your computer is running slow or acting flaky, this is the first thing you should do.

One thing most people neglect when running windows is checking for spyware regularly. The best free program I've found is Malwarebytes Anti-malware. Even if you have a good antivirus program, bad and annoying things can still sneak in. If your computer is running slow or acting flaky, this is the first thing you should do.
Here's an old thread that still gets posted in on that subject: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?15300-PC-Utility-favorites

I second a scan with MalwareBytes. I use that and Hijackthis a lot working on computers at work. If you need any specific help JT feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to help if I can.

Try booting into safe mode (F8 until you get there while booting) and see if it happens then. If not, then it is loading after the MBR and should be able to be resolved. In the Run command window (in normal boot mode) type "msconfig". Switch to the "Startup" tab and see what is loading.
msconfig.jpg

Usually tasks being loaded as malware have no mfg next to the description. You can uncheck the items that look flaky one by one, but it requires a restart after making those changes. If you disable something you actually need, simply go back and check it to run.

You may have already done this, but just a thought.

my exact thoughts,(just with pictures) this is why i use linux.

Back