John Tyler, 10 th president from 1841-1845 had a Grandson, Harrison Ruffin Tyler, who died in March of this year, 140 ish years after his grandfather.

Tyler is also the only President who was not buried under a US Flag when he died.

He also went to West Point
. . . where he graduated first in his class and later served as Superintendent. I believe Lee still has the highest academic achievement score of any West Point graduate

I believe he was either still there as a student or was teaching when Grant attended.

. . . where he graduated first in his class and later served as Superintendent. I believe Lee still has the highest academic achievement score of any West Point graduate
Actually Lee graduated 2nd in his class........

Charles Mason graduated 1st and ironically resigned from the army a year or two after graduating.

Tyler is also the only President who was not buried under a US Flag when he died.
This is also true.

The trick (so to speak was this), Tyler married had kids, his wife died, he married again and had more kids. The youngest (I think) of the second batch also married, had kids, wife died, and that Tyler married a second time and had kids. That last kid was the one that died in March.

I had a professor in college who served in Korea with the son, he liked to tell us about that fun fact.

Lee was 2nd in the Class of 1829. He has the second highest achievement score. You likely never heard of the person who ranks #1 overall and was # 1 in the Class of 1829 (Charles Mason) but the person who is # 3 overall, you definitely heard of. He was #1 in the Class of 1903. That was Douglas MacArthur.

Now for random facts associated with Douglas MacArthur, both he and his father, Arthur MacArthur, were recipients of the Congressional Medal Of Honor.

Lee was 2nd in the Class of 1829. He has the second highest achievement score. You likely never heard of the person who ranks #1 overall and was # 1 in the Class of 1829 (Charles Mason) but the person who is # 3 overall, you definitely heard of. He was #1 in the Class of 1903. That was Douglas MacArthur.

Now for random facts associated with Douglas MacArthur, both he and his father, Arthur MacArthur, were recipients of the Congressional Medal Of Honor.
Don't forget his great grandfather, Mac Arthur MacArthur.

A person I just made up (also a random fact)

I always thought it was Wilton Parmenter who was #1 overall. :ROFLMAO:

On an ear of corn there is one silk strand for each kernel of corn. This was told to me by my farmer brother in law.

Yes! Which makes this method of cooking corn on the cob so great! Peel a lot of the outer leaves of the corn off the cob. Leave just a couple of layers. I also trim the silks close, but that's not necessary. Soak them in water, then put in a microwave for 4 minutes an ear. 2 ears, 8 minutes. 3 ears, 12 minutes! When they are done, process them immediately, don't let them lay in the mike!

You will need at least one good glove for this part. Take the ears and cut the butt ends off with a stout knife. Take your gloved hand and grab the tip of an ear, and start wiggling it back and forth. The ear will start to emerge from the shuck. Once it get so far out, you can simply pull it out, and it will be without a single strand of silk! It will be pristine! Doctor it up with butter, salt, pepper, whatever you wish.

This has become one of my favorite ways to make corn on the cob!

I always thought it was Wilton Parmenter who was #1 overall. :ROFLMAO:

That position is fiercely held by the Parmenter family to this day. He sailed through required course work more easily than riding a horse. Literally, He had trouble riding a horse.

Anyway, he had completed his degree requirements by the Spring semester of 1864, and the faculty, seeing the Civil War as the first "modern" war, saw Parmenter as the prototype of the instructor that would be needed to teach the Army of the future. They encouraged him take broadening electives, and fatefully, he followed their advice and took an engineering course: Reframmellation 101.

Parmenter had a complete mental block related to the topic, and by late March, he had amassed three of a possible 550 points. And even though the tide of the war was turning, the Union still needed battlefield commanders, so when they turned to the cadets, Parmenter jumped at the chance after negotiating his withdrawal from every course that semester. That led to that improbable rallying of the troops, turning a rout into a decisive Union victory.

The Reframmellation instructor, however, failed Parmenter, using the logic that it was mathematically impossible for him to amass enough points to pass. The Superintendent, seeking to avoid a grading scandal involving a national hero, brought the parties into his office and quietly granted Parmenter a "Gentlemen's C." That was enough to knock him out of the top spot academically.

Not many people know this.

The Least Interesting Day in History was April 11, 1954

That, according to software developers True Knowledge. The search engine project collects facts, and of the more than 300 million facts it has collected, just two occurred on this date: a soccer player named Jack Shufflebotham died and a Turkish academic named Abdullah Atalar was born

We park on driveways and drive on parkways.

We call them apartments even though they're all stuck together.

Don’t go 🤯 too often sir, I can only take so much.

My random fact: I’ve has the same deputy pull me over in the same section of road where I crashed in 2019. 3 times inside 2 months. He’s a nice guy that investigated my accident so he knows me. No tickets. I know where he sits now and I wave at him friendly as I go by at the posted speed. He waves back right before I accelerate TF out of his county, lol. If I listed his name it would make everyone on here belly laugh but since I still live and work there and do NOT ever want to be a cause for discord, I’ll leave it out there for your imagination. PM me for details, lol.

I’ve also hit and killed a coyote in the exact same spot as my accident. How many people have hit and killed a coyote? I don’t know anyone, you rarely hear of them even being seen. They’re not as dumb as Deer. Left bumper shot with the SUV. =DOA.

My sister got a ticket for running a stop sign on the same day she was supposed to appear in traffic court for a ticket she got running the same stop sign, from the same cop.

Maryland drivers....🙄

Correlation does not imply (much less prove) causation.

Correlation does not imply (much less prove) causation.

My favorite example of this used to be post-Civil War US alcohol consumption and teachers' salaries in Missouri.

Sticking with history:

The Walnut Street Theater in Philadelphia one of the oldest continuously running theater in the world was originally owned by Edwin Booth, John Wilkes Booth’s brother.

Douglas MacArthur's mother moved into a hotel on campus when he was a cadet at West Point.

"alot" is not a word.

I went to Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, formed in 1968 by the federation of Case Institute of Technology and Western Reserve University. It was a marriage of convenience, not love. The two schools hated each other, so much so that they maintained separate football teams for a few years after the merger. We were one of the few colleges that beat ourselves in football.

My sister got a ticket for running a stop sign on the same day she was supposed to appear in traffic court for a ticket she got running the same stop sign, from the same cop.

Maryland drivers....🙄

Lol! Well, now she knows where he likes to sit now too.

I went to Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, formed in 1968 by the federation of Case Institute of Technology and Western Reserve University. It was a marriage of convenience, not love. The two schools hated each other, so much so that they maintained separate football teams for a few years after the merger. We were one of the few colleges that beat ourselves in football.

One might say that TTUN does the same….

(Ohio guy here if you don’t get the reference).

Maryland drivers....🙄
I once disputed a traffic ticket only to have it dismissed because the officer didn't appear. The note given the judge said the officer was attending a traffic class. The judge presiding made the point that it didn't say he was teaching the class, it said he was in the class.

Back