I always dispute if I don’t have to be somewhere else. Officer shows, plead no contest. Officer doesn’t, plead not guilty.

Momma may have raised an idjit, but that’s only because I’ve had had so many tickets you’d think I’d learn by now.

Lol! Well, now she knows where he likes to sit now too.

It was pretty hilarious. She lived in Baltimore for years and and drove like a “Baltimoron”, used to scare the crap out of me. I-95 was like an F-1 race for her. She got her tickets after relocating to Charleston, SC to have a “slower pace of life”. Except the gas pedal of course.

President of her company told her once “You know, the best thing we ever did was hire a bunch of pot smoking 25 year olds and let them work on couches”

True story. Made a fortune, but died too young. Brain aneurism was like a light switch. Here today, gone tomorrow. Miss that gal.

Sam Snead's first 18-holes with the big boys shot a 67 at Hersey in 1936. On the first hole (345 yd par-4) he hit three drives out of bounds, his fourth drive finished 20ft from the hole and he sunk the putt for a bogey. In those days there was no stroke penalty for OB, only the distance penalty. Snead was 24, 5'10" and weighed 165 lbs. His golfing equipment was a collection of eight clubs.
When asked who taught him to swing a golf club, he replied by watching his brother hit golf balls in a paddock - he immigrated his brothers golf swing.

Speaking of Snead, the Homestead has the oldest #1 tee. Still in use since 1892

Racecar is spelled the same forwards and backwards.

Reno, Nevada is further west than both Los Angeles and San Diego, California.
Cold Bay, Alaska, is near the western tip of the Aleutian Peninsula, still a part of mainland Alaska. It is further west than Honolulu, and all of the Windward Hawaiian Islands.

I went to Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, formed in 1968 by the federation of Case Institute of Technology and Western Reserve University. It was a marriage of convenience, not love. The two schools hated each other, so much so that they maintained separate football teams for a few years after the merger. We were one of the few colleges that beat ourselves in football.

When it was still the Case Institute of Technology, it became known as the site of the most famous "failed experiment" in physics history! The Michelson-Morley experiment was done in Cleveland in 1897 to try to prove the existence of the "luminiferous aether". At the time, physicists thought that light needed a medium through which to propagate much like sound waves.

Long story short, it failed miserably. As has every other experiment up through the 1900's. This, of course, led to Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity in 1905.

BTW, here's another random fact. Einstein didn't like the term Relativity Theory. He preferred the term "Invariance Theory", although the paper that he published in 1905 was titled "The Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies".

Racecar is spelled the same forwards and backwards.

Nice palindrome!

When it was still the Case Institute of Technology, it became known as the site of the most famous "failed experiment" in physics history! The Michelson-Morley experiment was done in Cleveland in 1897 to try to prove the existence of the "luminiferous aether". At the time, physicists thought that light needed a medium through which to propagate much like sound waves.

Long story short, it failed miserably. As has every other experiment up through the 1900's. This, of course, led to Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity in 1905.

BTW, here's another random fact. Einstein didn't like the term Relativity Theory. He preferred the term "Invariance Theory", although the paper that he published in 1905 was titled "The Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies".

I know the story of Michelson-Morley well. Michelson was at the Case School of Applied Science (it didn't become Case Institute of Technology until 1947) and Morley was at Western Reserve. There used to be a large fountain on the Case side of campus commemorating the experiment. Michelson's name was on one of three dorms named for Case people who won Nobel Prizes. My dorm was named for Donald Glaser, who received his Nobel for inventing the liquid hydrogen bubble chamber. Reportedly, he got the inspiration for the idea at a bar late one night while staring at the bubbles in his beer. I was honored to live in a dorm named for someone like that.

Case Institute of Technology (CIT) was on occasion referred to as Shaker Heights Institute of Technology ( ).

Case Institute of Technology (CIT) was on occasion referred to as Shaker Heights Institute of Technology ( ).
...and since this is "random facts". My Great Grandfather built most of those grand old homes in Shaker Heights built in the roaring '20s, 30s and 40s.

It was pretty hilarious. She lived in Baltimore for years and and drove like a “Baltimoron”, used to scare the crap out of me. I-95 was like an F-1 race for her. She got her tickets after relocating to Charleston, SC to have a “slower pace of life”. Except the gas pedal of course.

President of her company told her once “You know, the best thing we ever did was hire a bunch of pot smoking 25 year olds and let them work on couches”

True story. Made a fortune, but died too young. Brain aneurism was like a light switch. Here today, gone tomorrow. Miss that gal.

Thanks for sharing and so very sorry for your loss!

...and since this is "random facts". My Great Grandfather built most of those grand old homes in Shaker Heights built in the roaring '20s, 30s and 40s.
Having seen many of these homes gutted for renovations, I can easily say they don't build them like they used to!

This is just crazy!

I know the story of Michelson-Morley well. Michelson was at the Case School of Applied Science (it didn't become Case Institute of Technology until 1947) and Morley was at Western Reserve. There used to be a large fountain on the Case side of campus commemorating the experiment. Michelson's name was on one of three dorms named for Case people who won Nobel Prizes. My dorm was named for Donald Glaser, who received his Nobel for inventing the liquid hydrogen bubble chamber. Reportedly, he got the inspiration for the idea at a bar late one night while staring at the bubbles in his beer. I was honored to live in a dorm named for someone like that.

Didn't the Case School actually get it's start in Hudson, OH.? I used to call on the Hudson Academy, a "high school" that, at that time, cost about 20-25K per year to attend! That was a while ago. And that's the idea they gave me.

Didn't the Case School actually get it's start in Hudson, OH.? I used to call on the Hudson Academy, a "high school" that, at that time, cost about 20-25K per year to attend! That was a while ago. And that's the idea they gave me.

Western Reserve University was founded in 1826 in Hudson, OH. It became Western Reserve University upon its move to Cleveland in 1882, on a site adjacent to the Case School of Applied Science, which had been founded the year before.

You are correct in describing the Western Reserve Academy as a high school/prep school. I believe it uses at least some of the buildings from the original Western Reserve University.

Beginning in 1910, WRU held the Hudson Relays from the old campus in Hudson to the current campus in Cleveland, a distance of 26 miles. Each WRU class entered a team, each of whom ran one-mile legs. In 1990, the schools changed the route to a loop around the existing campus.

Fun fact for you non-Ohioans: The Western Reserve is named for Connecticut. The land grant deed to the colony of Connecticut defined the size of the colony and included a phrase granting the colony "the lands west and northwest . . . forever" with respect to a certain line of latitude. Ohio entered the Union in 1803, and when they petitioned to join, they proposed state boundaries, only to have Connecticut say about much of the proposed Northeast Ohio, and I'm paraphrasing, "Hey!!! You can't have that land!!! That's our Western Reserve!!!" Well, Connecticut lost their case, and to add insult to injury, that portion of Northeast Ohio is known to this day as the Western Reserve.

Macadamia nut is indigenous to Australia

A platypus which is a monotreme, has a spike thorn behind its rear foot that’s venomous

Wi fi is a Australian accredited innovation / invention

It blew my mind to find out I'd been using the ketchup cups all wrong...

ketchup cups.PNG

Western Reserve University was founded in 1826 in Hudson, OH. It became Western Reserve University upon its move to Cleveland in 1882, on a site adjacent to the Case School of Applied Science, which had been founded the year before.

You are correct in describing the Western Reserve Academy as a high school/prep school. I believe it uses at least some of the buildings from the original Western Reserve University.

Beginning in 1910, WRU held the Hudson Relays from the old campus in Hudson to the current campus in Cleveland, a distance of 26 miles. Each WRU class entered a team, each of whom ran one-mile legs. In 1990, the schools changed the route to a loop around the existing campus.

Fun fact for you non-Ohioans: The Western Reserve is named for Connecticut. The land grant deed to the colony of Connecticut defined the size of the colony and included a phrase granting the colony "the lands west and northwest . . . forever" with respect to a certain line of latitude. Ohio entered the Union in 1803, and when they petitioned to join, they proposed state boundaries, only to have Connecticut say about much of the proposed Northeast Ohio, and I'm paraphrasing, "Hey!!! You can't have that land!!! That's our Western Reserve!!!" Well, Connecticut lost their case, and to add insult to injury, that portion of Northeast Ohio is known to this day as the Western Reserve.

Good info. So, what about the "Firelands"!

You are very welcome! The "Firelands" was originally named the "Sufferers Lands", after those living in Connecticut who had been burnt out by the British in the War of Independence. They offered them land in the unsettled Ohio territory!

Last edited:
George Washington died without ever knowing dinosaurs existed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back