Video Range Days: Callaway Epic Forged Irons

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
This series is for those that want to dive deep into the world of equipment and data. 

Range Days is not just about showing the data and the swings. In this episode Dan and James break down each strike and explain why the performance you are seeing is taking place and what to expect out of the equipment you are testing.

The Callaway Epic Forged irons continue to get stellar reviews and are discussed as being some of the longest and most forgiving out there. We break them down with data and swings to tell you what is happening and why. If you are looking for the most in depth review on the irons, you have come to the right place.

document.write("Loading Custom Ratings...");

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
"this is Callaway flexing their muscle"

"this is Callaway flexing their muscle"
Faaaaaaacccctttts.

The ultimate “concept car” and I hope they keep doing it.

Faaaaaaacccctttts.

The ultimate “concept car” and I hope they keep doing it.

I thought it was a great line and if I had to sum the episode up in one phrase, that'd be it.

I haven’t poked my head in the review thread for these irons as the cost is just prohibitive, so this was my first real look at them. Results, especially dispersion, were fantastic.

Interesting to hear that you were not wowed by them during the session, but were wowed in the post analysis. Was it sound/feel? Was it looks? Too chunky? Is there something that would keep you from gaming them (other than the obvious cost)?

I haven’t poked my head in the review thread for these irons as the cost is just prohibitive, so this was my first real look at them. Results, especially dispersion, were fantastic.

Interesting to hear that you were not wowed by them during the session, but were wowed in the post analysis. Was it sound/feel? Was it looks? Too chunky? Is there something that would keep you from gaming them (other than the obvious cost)?
I tried to dive into that in the vid and as I’ve thought on it more since I think it stands true, they were so consistent that there wasn’t that one or two shots of “flash” you expect from a 299.99 iron, instead it was there but covered up by 4 shots of extreme consistency despite having some solid strike location variance.

Great episode, and I really like the tech story in these irons. Really cool that Callaway gives the R&D team the ability to push the limits and come up with something like the Epic line. Also, love the talk on the "jumper." I'll be honest, it's something that I've thought about with certain clubs. I enjoy getting into the data and seeing the results on different strikes though, to kind of debunk this myth.

That dispersion though :oops:

Great episode, and I really like the tech story in these irons. Really cool that Callaway gives the R&D team the ability to push the limits and come up with something like the Epic line. Also, love the talk on the "jumper." I'll be honest, it's something that I've thought about with certain clubs. I enjoy getting into the data and seeing the results on different strikes though, to kind of debunk this myth.

That dispersion though :oops:
He’s a damn show off and I loathe him. ;)

Great video and no doubt they are an amazing iron. I have the 4 iron and need to find a different shaft for it to increase the launch a bit. In it's current configuration it's a bit too long to fill the gap between my 5 iron and 4 wood. I really should get fit for the 5 iron and it would fill that 210-215 yard spot in my bag.

He’s a damn show off and I loathe him. ;)
I think for the next iteration of Range Days you need an average golfer out there too. I'd test the face, all of the face :ROFLMAO:, unlike Dan whose miss is like 1 mm off center :cautious:. Seriously though, really enjoy these deeper dives into the nerdy side of golf. Helps me a lot as I continue to gain more and more golf knowledge.

Ill watch this tonight. Love my Epic Forged irons.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around it!! Does it have something to do with sound?

Fortunately, James has a couple heads (5/6) laying around that he's going to send for me to have some fun with - I'll take that into the review thread when i get them in play.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around it!! Does it have something to do with sound?

Fortunately, James has a couple heads (5/6) laying around that he's going to send for me to have some fun with - I'll take that into the review thread when i get them in play.
This will be fun to hear more. I too wondered why were weren't very happy with these, considering the numbers.

I think for the next iteration of Range Days you need an average golfer out there too. I'd test the face, all of the face :ROFLMAO:, unlike Dan whose miss is like 1 mm off center :cautious:. Seriously though, really enjoy these deeper dives into the nerdy side of golf. Helps me a lot as I continue to gain more and more golf knowledge.
I've put a TON of thought into how Range Days work, and what options are for maximizing the experience for those tuning in.

What I've come to realize is that having a video rolling, in a sim or otherwise, can be pretty stressful. If we take a golfer who is less consistent and put them into that condition, and only take five shots, it really opens the door to things like swing flaws and basic swing mistakes. Do all five look more like my first shot, where I put a pretty bad swing on the ball? Do we start throwing away shots?

The basic principle of Range Days is to discuss the tech that is built into a head, and see how it's activated by a golf swing. Outside of maybe two heads that I hit (where I felt like I couldn't miss the button if I tried), there were shots that moved away from center enough to discuss things like efficiency retention and spin on every head.

I assume most of you guys are joking, but as we continue to evolve the series, I'm definitely interested in knowing whether you feel my swing is adequately covering that kind of thing. If not, we can certainly pivot.

This will be fun to hear more. I too wondered why were weren't very happy with these, considering the numbers.
I think (hope) most of it is related to the lie angle of the club. Going in toe early presents a slightly less than ideal connection with the ground, leaving me feel like I squared up 90% instead of 100% especially on a mat. That'll get cleared up QUICK haha

I was very interested in these irons and would have pulled the trigger if the results were there but I couldn’t get enough spin in conjunction with apex and descent. I don’t have my exact numbers here but the simulator had too much roll out for a 6 iron. My wife was happy about that result.

I've put a TON of thought into how Range Days work, and what options are for maximizing the experience for those tuning in.

What I've come to realize is that having a video rolling, in a sim or otherwise, can be pretty stressful. If we take a golfer who is less consistent and put them into that condition, and only take five shots, it really opens the door to things like swing flaws and basic swing mistakes. Do all five look more like my first shot, where I put a pretty bad swing on the ball? Do we start throwing away shots?

The basic principle of Range Days is to discuss the tech that is built into a head, and see how it's activated by a golf swing. Outside of maybe two heads that I hit (where I felt like I couldn't miss the button if I tried), there were shots that moved away from center enough to discuss things like efficiency retention and spin on every head.

I assume most of you guys are joking, but as we continue to evolve the series, I'm definitely interested in knowing whether you feel my swing is adequately covering that kind of thing. If not, we can certainly pivot.

I agree that you need someone with some consistency in their swing to have this deliver value. The one thing it would be nice to see is someone with more mortal swing speed. Frankly your results while very interesting don't have much applicability to me with my 80 mph SS and 115 mph ball speed (my driver ball speed is 136 about the same as your 6i). I would be happy to donate some of my time to help out next year :).

I was joking in my comments. I understand what you're thinking, about taking a less consistent golfer and putting them on camera. You're going to get too many variables to get an accurate representation of the head. I think when you take your consistent swing, across a range of club heads, it really brings to light differences between the heads, on both center and off center hits. I'm jealous of this consistent swing, but do believe it is best when testing. You give us all the shots, good or bad, and then dive into the data to see how much a shot right on compares to something heel, toe, high, or low. I do appreciate the data, and a look into how these different misses affects ball flight, spin, speed, etc.

Definitely enjoy this series, and since I love irons, each video I've been able to obtain great information across a range of club types. I have yet to be fit for clubs, but this continued series shows me how valuable a fitting is. I appreciate the time you and @Jman put into this. I personally don't see a need to pivot the set up, just a need to pivot my swing to hone it in a bit more :p

I find myself becoming a fanboy of brands when it comes to golf, I had my M1 irons and driver and I thought I loved them. I then heard everyone talking about their love for the Epic Flash driver, so I decided to give it a try and I have fallen in love. Now I have felt the need to get out of my M1 irons and throw some Callaway irons in the bag. The Epic's look amazing but my 90+ rounds aren't ready for forged irons just yet (based on my knowledge of who forged irons cater to). Been seriously eyeing the Apex irons though. Great video and look forward to future range days.

I'm not trying to pump Dan's tires here, but geez how are you making the golf swing look so easy. At least make it look like you're trying Dan!

Glad you said this. It's something I have thought about for awhile as well. I'd say your swing doesn't represent 99% of the people here so it's tough to say. I think as long as you are able to relate the material to the masses then you are doing your job. The issue isn't you alone as almost ALL club reviewers that are searched for are elite ball strikers. Just put the info out as you do and let the viewer decide.

I find myself becoming a fanboy of brands when it comes to golf, I had my M1 irons and driver and I thought I loved them. I then heard everyone talking about their love for the Epic Flash driver, so I decided to give it a try and I have fallen in love. Now I have felt the need to get out of my M1 irons and throw some Callaway irons in the bag. The Epic's look amazing but my 90+ rounds aren't ready for forged irons just yet (based on my knowledge of who forged irons cater to). Been seriously eyeing the Apex irons though. Great video and look forward to future range days.

I'm not trying to pump Dan's tires here, but geez how are you making the golf swing look so easy. At least make it look like you're trying Dan!
I've played the Srixon Z565 Forged Irons, and feel that they are pretty forgiving. Plus the feel of these forged irons is very hard to beat.

I've played the Srixon Z565 Forged Irons, and feel that they are pretty forgiving. Plus the feel of these forged irons is very hard to beat.
Srixon is one of the brands that I have been eyeing as well for irons.

Pretty amazing and telling stats right there on the club doing what it claims to do and maybe more. I'm not super surprised that Dan didn't love the way they felt, I haven't hit this version of these but the first iteration of the the Epic irons were so harsh feeling I hated them.

I wouldn't stress the term 'forged' at all. Lots of companies are using forged faces in their products while maintaining significant forgiveness benefits. You referenced the Apex irons, which have are forged with their cup face tech.

Also, thanks for the nice compliment on my swing! I promise you, the pain I had at the time in my right elbow was NOT easy to deal with haha! If I was trying to do anything, it was avoid wincing on camera :ROFLMAO:

The evolution will continue...:)

Back