Review Range Days: PXG 0311 P and 0311 T Irons

Thank you @Canadan that is really helpful and interesting. It seems that might be what I'm looking for. Just a little more spin and height with not much change in distance. And possibly more consistent.

I think I missed it in the video but what shafts were you using?

Thank you @Canadan that is really helpful and interesting. It seems that might be what I'm looking for. Just a little more spin and height with not much change in distance. And possibly more consistent.

I think I missed it in the video but what shafts were you using?
both had recoil proto 95's in them. Exactly same conditions.

Um, so I ordered these to try them out. Came a little quicker than I was expecting since they said it would take 3 weeks. Ordered Friday got them today.

I was surprised that the blade length is almost identical to the Cobra FTs. The sole is definitely wider. Interested to see how they compare since the turf interaction with the Forged TECs is pretty great.

Looking forward to trying them out with the TT elevate 95s. Hoping they don't have the GW PW gap issue that I had with the FTs.
7c5890466684bbc81fbad54cee066693.jpg

Man, I think you're going to have an absolute blast with these. Take us along for the ride, PLEASE!
Will definitely update!

Excellent video!

I recently got fit for the 0311 Gen3 P with Steelfiber I95, after the fitting he couldn't get me out of the booth just wanted to keep hitting it. Amazing feel and performance. Tried about a dozen different shafts and half a dozen heads, this combo was it for me. I was blown away by the PXG both the T and P were great, I could have ended up with either and been happy. I had never been fit for clubs before and just always bought off the rack, I was playing the Bridgestone J15CB for the last several years and as nice as those feel the PXG felt better. We did a blind fitting, had the fitter just hand me different head/shaft combos and did my best not to look at the brands or flex. I honestly thought the PXG was a Ping, once we found a head I liked we narrowed the shaft down to some KBS black graphite shaft and the Steelfiber. Was getting just slightly better results with the Steelfiber. Now just waiting for the call that the clubs are in and ready to be picked up. Graphite would not even have been on my radar nor would a light weight shaft, we are also reshafting my Vokey wedges with the 110 Steelfiber and found out I should play 1/2" short and 2° flat.

Some head to head thoughts between Cobra Forged TECs with steel fiber i95s stiff and the PXG 0311Ps with TT Elevate 95s in stiff. Please remember these are just my results so I don't know if it would transfer over for others.

First off, just let me say off the bat that the Cobras hold their own pretty darn well. Almost wanted to post this in the FTs thread because of the performance based on value.

Couple things. Feel was similar on flush shots. PXG slightly more soft and just edged out in total feeling. Sound was amazingly similar. On thinned shots though, PXG was noticeably less harsh, and the Cobras are no slouch in that department in. I'm not sure if that's the head or the shafts since the steel fibers are a little more stiff but it felt like it was the head and not the shaft. Also, on thinned shots, the PXG seemed to maintain ball speed better than the Cobras. This is based on my Garmin S80 so take that for what it's worth. But smash factor was consistently higher for PXG, usually 1.35 or higher for the 7 iron (got a couple of 1.39 and 1.40) and the Cobra was closer to 1.32).

Distance was similar despite the weaker lofts on the PXG. Trajectories were similar but a little higher on the PXGs. Gapping between GW, PW and 9 irons was closer than the Cobras. Although the gap wedge is one degree weaker in the PXGs the distance was 5 to 10 yards longer than the Cobras.

For my swing, the real difference was the 4 iron. It may be the shafts but I could get much higher trajectories and the same distance with my 4i in the PXGs. And it just seemed a lot easier to hit.

So, is it worth almost twice as much for the PXGs? Probably not. I think the Cobras have the best value proposition.

But I did like the PXGs better. Probably because like @Canadan I just happened to get a head/shaft combo that worked great for me.

But to swap out all the shafts from my Cobras may not be worth it, and I'm not sure I could hit the 4i as well. Plus the gapping is more normal in the short irons in the PXGs.

I still have 28 days so I'll be trying them on the course. They felt so good today that I may be keeping them even though they are (way) more expensive.

Just ordered the Gen 3 P in 5-7 and T in 8-G. Really excited about it. I’m coming from the combo set in the Apex 19/Apex Pro that also splits between the 7 and 8 iron. I love my Apex irons but I’m hoping/thinking these are going to be even better. If anyone has feedback that has experience with both Apex19/Apex Pro and Gen 3s (P and/or T), I’d love to hear it.

@jwalters I got your PM about the soles, and saw the comment in the other thread, but thought I'd reply here because this is where I mentioned the wider soles. Your question was about how the soles are in the shorter irons. The GW, PW and 9 have a substantially larger soles than the Cobra FTs that I have, but to be honest, all of the clubs have a wider sole than their FT counterparts.

I was a little worried because I have a shallower swing, don't make huge divots, and I don't need a ton of bounce. I've only played two rounds with the PXG and from the fairway I don't see much difference in turf interaction. I am, possibly, seeing a difference in the rough. With my FTs, I see almost no change in difficulty with making contact if hitting from the 1st cut of rough, and I get great performance in deeper rough. I did have a little harder time with the PXGs in the rough. I'm not sure if it's me just not used to them, or the wider sole getting more caught up in the grass, or if the FTs are just so amazing from a turf interaction standpoint. But I had a harder time getting solid contact.

Obviously, in Bethpage Black tournament rough, I don't think either is going to help that much.

Interestingly, even though I love the feel, flight and spin of these clubs, I'm leaning towards returning them only because the Cobras are pretty superb and I'm not sure the difference in price is justified. I may put the TT elevate 95 in my Cobra 4i to see if that helps me hit it.

Any update on how these have worked for you?

They are amazing clubs. The sole didn't seem to give me any issues. After I got the hang of them, they played well in the rough and the fairways, and hit a couple great fairway bunker shots too. They have great distance, good piercing flights with great descent angles, and very good spin (actually I spun a couple off the green for a couple of front-placed pins). Not to mention they feel insanely good when you hit them. The buttery soft feeling they advertise is real.

But I'm returning them.

I have a set of Cobra Forged TEC that I game, and they are 3-5 yards longer (it's arguable whether that's necessary) and they have 98% of the performance and 95% of the feel. I really hemmed and hawed, cause I could go either way, but because I could go either way, I figured I just stick with the cheaper clubs. But that was just for me.

I really like them and wish I could justify keeping them, but my wife said pick one, which I think is reasonable.

the gen3's had another price reduction, down to 199 a club. I am so close to ordering a set of the Ps.

the gen3's had another price reduction, down to 199 a club. I am so close to ordering a set of the Ps.
Ha same here. Have the Miz HMP which I'm loving, but the PXG sure do look nice.....hey look something shiny!
Based on all the reviews I've seen, the ONLY negative has been the price....which is now largely fixed.

Last edited:
Ha same here. Have the Mix HMP which I'm loving, but the PX sure do look nice.....hey look something shiny!
Based on all the reviews I've seen, the ONLY negative has been the price....which is now largely fixed.
I wish they had the heavier MMT's as an offering. The 80gram are just too light.

0311 P gen3's now in hand. The profile is extremely similar to the 0211s. Interested to hitting them to see how the feel compares.

0311 P gen3's now in hand. The profile is extremely similar to the 0211s. Interested to hitting them to see how the feel compares.
Oh, full send!!! I don't think the two are anywhere close, with the P being spectacular.

Curious to your thoughts!

Oh, full send!!! I don't think the two are anywhere close, with the P being spectacular.

Curious to your thoughts!
do you recall the shaft you had in demo day?
I went with elevate tour x flex-

Has anyone compared the Gen2 irons vs the Gen3? Both irons are priced really well right now.

Back