Video Range Days: Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 Irons

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
This series is for those that want to dive deep into the world of equipment and data. 

Range Days is not just about showing the data and the swings. In this episode Dan and James break down each strike and explain why the performance you are seeing is taking place and what to expect out of the equipment you are testing.

The Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 irons continue to get stellar reviews from those that tried them, but still might slip under the radar. We break them down with data and swings to tell you what is happening and why. If you are looking for the most in depth review on the irons, you have come to the right place.

document.write("Loading Custom Ratings...");

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. The data is pretty staggering and these appear to be something that shouldn't really slip passed anybody's radar.

Thanks for another really good episode. Sounds like TEE has another really solid offering in these.

Great episode. Tour Edge seems to be on quite a roll lately!

If you get a chance, and you’re in the market for a GI style iron, GO HIT THESE. The data doesn’t lie and Tour Edge is ob fire right now.

Appreciate the listens and watches, and if you have any questions we are both here to answer!

nice video fellas. Any idea if the 220 iron is different than the original EXS iron? Tech looks similar but curious if something showed up in your review/research?

nice video fellas. Any idea if the 220 iron is different than the original EXS iron? Tech looks similar but curious if something showed up in your review/research?

It is actually quite different. Good article here outlining the new line.

Thanks for the link above. Any quick comment on this split set idea as TE has set up the 220 iron? I understand the difference between the 220H SGI set and the 220 split set. Do you guys have an opinion on the 431 stainless undercut "scoring irons"? If there's true benefit to hollow body styles, why not go for that across the whole 220 set? Am I missing something in that the undercut scoring irons offer more feel, workability, or accuracy? (I know, everyone's different and YMMV). Just pondering overall on the scoring irons here....

Thanks for the link above. Any quick comment on this split set idea as TE has set up the 220 iron? I understand the difference between the 220H SGI set and the 220 split set. Do you guys have an opinion on the 431 stainless undercut "scoring irons"? If there's true benefit to hollow body styles, why not go for that across the whole 220 set? Am I missing something in that the undercut scoring irons offer more feel, workability, or accuracy? (I know, everyone's different and YMMV). Just pondering overall on the scoring irons here....
Honestly it’s a design thing as they’re trying to get each club to hit a certain launch, flight, and spin window. Plus, typically golfers don’t need as much forgiveness in the scoring irons as the shorter club breeds more consistency. I’ll add, even in most of the full hollow sets out there the cavity size/shape gets more compact than in the long irons to accomplish the same goals.

Jman, thanks for the thoughts. Makes more sense after your explanation there. Keep up the solid work guys!

Jman, thanks for the thoughts. Makes more sense after your explanation there. Keep up the solid work guys!
Happy to help! Thank you for the question!

The ponder is real

Bang for buck? Tour Edge has OBLITERATED a lot of the market.

I think it really depends on where the consumer is. It’s a hard segment because you are competing against not just current pricing of current inline drivers, but last year’s as well.

I’m speaking more about the every day golfer, because they are not up on the latest in tech stories, so they hear, see and feel all of the common in line drivers. Then go to a store and this may be there. It will certainly compete, but with 3 hands what does the golfer pick up? (3 refers to the number of clubs brought into bay, not actual hands).

With that said, they have a fantastic product, and high tech, which I appreciate so much. Carbon crown, proper weighting, actual story, solid shaft choices and done so at a price point that makes a lot of sense.

I think it really depends on where the consumer is. It’s a hard segment because you are competing against not just current pricing of current inline drivers, but last year’s as well.

I’m speaking more about the every day golfer, because they are not up on the latest in tech stories, so they hear, see and feel all of the common in line drivers. Then go to a store and this may be there. It will certainly compete, but with 3 hands what does the golfer pick up? (3 refers to the number of clubs brought into bay, not actual hands).

With that said, they have a fantastic product, and high tech, which I appreciate so much. Carbon crown, proper weighting, actual story, solid shaft choices and done so at a price point that makes a lot of sense.
I’m not arguing any of that, but I stand by the bang for your buck comment. Tour Edge and Hogan in particular have done amazing things there the last two years, and I know their internal numbers have showed it. When you can get performance as good as the majority of clubs out there, but at a fraction of the price, while not sacrificing aesthetics, that’s a bang for your buck win.

Does that put you into the three picks for people to go hit? That depends on the store, salespeople, region, golfer knowledge, and a litany of other things. But no one typically gets into those three except the “top” three with the marketing and names, that’s why to me my comment is more in reference of getting as much as a 599 driver or 1299 set of clubs for 40% or whatever less. Will it overtake personal preferences? No. Is it impressive they’ve done what they have? For sure, and I know you agree.

I’m not arguing any of that, but I stand by the bang for your buck comment. Tour Edge and Hogan in particular have done amazing things there the last two years, and I know their internal numbers have showed it. When you can get performance as good as the majority of clubs out there, but at a fraction of the price, while not sacrificing aesthetics, that’s a bang for your buck win.

Does that put you into the three picks for people to go hit? That depends on the store, salespeople, region, golfer knowledge, and a litany of other things. But no one typically gets into those three except the “top” three with the marketing and names, that’s why to me my comment is more in reference of getting as much as a 599 driver or 1299 set of clubs for 40% or whatever less. Will it overtake personal preferences? No. Is it impressive they’ve done what they have? For sure, and I know you agree.

I’m not sure on the internal numbers honestly, when I get to my computer I can check. I know Hogan had a big May.

I think last year I would have agreed wholeheartedly Launch to launch. This year, a number of new sets have come out in the $799 range, which changes that dynamic a bit. I still think bang for the buck Tour Edge Exotics is fantastic, my take is that in the current climate its a harder sell.

It’s something that I think is always going to be the line of thinking though. Is cheaper viewed as inferior (see Cleveland Putters)? Or does it get caught in purgatory compared to the previous year (see EXS 220 vs King F9 and G400 Max). My thought stems a bit from the Ben Hogan Putters, where priced lower than just about every other putter created the same way, yet when they launched, every person said overpriced.

I love where Exotics is pricing themselves, as it is aggressive without sacrifice. I’m just not sure the general golfer sees that yet, hopefully reviews like this one help expand those thoughts.

Going back to this set, when they launched, I think they were $109 a club. Bringing the set to about $765 for 7 pieces. There are some really good options that are brand new on the market that are close to that, which makes it a bit less than ideal in terms of the bang for the buck line of thinking. It’s certainly not worse than, price or performance, I just think timing plays a role here too.

I’m not sure on the internal numbers honestly, when I get to my computer I can check. I know Hogan had a big May.

I think last year I would have agreed wholeheartedly Launch to launch. This year, a number of new sets have come out in the $799 range, which changes that dynamic a bit. I still think bang for the buck Tour Edge Exotics is fantastic, my take is that in the current climate its a harder sell.

It’s something that I think is always going to be the line of thinking though. Is cheaper viewed as inferior (see Cleveland Putters)? Or does it get caught in purgatory compared to the previous year (see EXS 220 vs King F9 and G400 Max). My thought stems a bit from the Ben Hogan Putters, where priced lower than just about every other putter created the same way, yet when they launched, every person said overpriced.

I love where Exotics is pricing themselves, as it is aggressive without sacrifice. I’m just not sure the general golfer sees that yet, hopefully reviews like this one help expand those thoughts.

Going back to this set, when they launched, I think they were $109 a club. Bringing the set to about $765 for 7 pieces. There are some really good options that are brand new on the market that are close to that, which makes it a bit less than ideal in terms of the bang for the buck line of thinking. It’s certainly not worse than, price or performance, I just think timing plays a role here too.
It’s the great double edged sword. Price high, then if you’re not one of the big 3/4 you’re gouging. Price low, you’re potentially just inferior. It’s a hell of a battle for companies.

I do think TE is going about it a good way with their 48 hour custom fit turnaround and expanding not just exotics but the crazy under talked about HL lines to more places too.

I can’t help but wonder the extent of the COVID damages to the smaller companies though.

Reactions: JB
Really good video guys. Admittedly Tour Edge gets overlooked and that should probably changed. I have a friend playing some old Diablo Forged irons who is in the market to upgrade. I am pointing him this way at least for a look to compare.

It’s the great double edged sword. Price high, then if you’re not one of the big 3/4 you’re gouging. Price low, you’re potentially just inferior. It’s a hell of a battle for companies.

I do think TE is going about it a good way with their 48 hour custom fit turnaround and expanding not just exotics but the crazy under talked about HL lines to more places too.

I can’t help but wonder the extent of the COVID damages to the smaller companies though.

I'm sure they took a beating, but with the lower overhead, it's not like they had a lot of inventory just sitting there collecting dust so.. maybe not quite as bad? Hopefully? Might also have to do with what state the company is based out of, and how much golf was shut down for them. It's really hard to beat irons at that cost and with a 2 day turnaround. That's absurd and Amazon like.

I'm sure they took a beating, but with the lower overhead, it's not like they had a lot of inventory just sitting there collecting dust so.. maybe not quite as bad? Hopefully? Might also have to do with what state the company is based out of, and how much golf was shut down for them. It's really hard to beat irons at that cost and with a 2 day turnaround. That's absurd and Amazon like.
Yeah. It’s an interesting situation for everyone, I do think that some of the insane deals they did with the “stimulus” packages and such had to have helped at least move the stock.

The rest of the media in the industry just seem to be catching onto what we here at THP have known for some time.

I wish I had a spin bugaboo that was controllable like Dan's. To be honest, since joining this forum I haven't given Tour Edge much credit beyond old people and the Champion's Tour guys. All that has really changed thanks to the reviews and information like this video and the various threads on their clubs. When the time comes to get fit, they will most likely be one of the top brands I would like to swing because of that bang for buck factor. Thanks @Jman and @Canadan for another video range days!

That's great to hear, @billyh! Definitely one of the biggest elements driving Range Days - Getting info out there for golfers to see what's available and how it works!

great video veru insightful comments. I have hit the product and very impressed only readon gor not purchasing, did not want yo chsnge the bag. was hitting the 7 iron 200 yards on avg( thats the distant of my 5 iron). That number was hard for me to digest. I would have been second guessing every club selection.

great video veru insightful comments. I have hit the product and very impressed only readon gor not purchasing, did not want yo chsnge the bag. was hitting the 7 iron 200 yards on avg( thats the distant of my 5 iron). That number was hard for me to digest. I would have been second guessing every club selection.
Thank you for watching! They make some serious speed for sure!

Back