Range Finder Help

MH

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been holding out to purchase the new Bushnell Tour V5 but after nearly a month of waiting I am close to purchasing something different. I am finding that I am really missing having one in the bag after 8 rounds. I’m sure COVID-19 is delaying the delivery but was told they had shipped 3 weeks ago now and they are only travelling from Ontario to Alberta. Long story short I think I’m done waiting and ready to pull the trigger on the Leupold GX-i53 or possibly the Nikon Pro Stabilized? Do any of you have experience with either? Price is not a big concern but the Nikon is $100 cheaper so if they are very comparable I may be swayed that way. I have owned Leupold in the past and was happy with the performance. Would love to hear some reviews from guys who actually have and currently use either. If anyone has the new tour v5 is it worth the wait? Thanks for your help

I have had a Leupold before, and optics wise they are the best IMO.. Have a Bushnell now and it is also very good.

I have been holding out to purchase the new Bushnell Tour V5 but after nearly a month of waiting I am close to purchasing something different. I am finding that I am really missing having one in the bag after 8 rounds. I’m sure COVID-19 is delaying the delivery but was told they had shipped 3 weeks ago now and they are only travelling from Ontario to Alberta. Long story short I think I’m done waiting and ready to pull the trigger on the Leupold GX-i53 or possibly the Nikon Pro Stabilized? Do any of you have experience with either? Price is not a big concern but the Nikon is $100 cheaper so if they are very comparable I may be swayed that way. I have owned Leupold in the past and was happy with the performance. Would love to hear some reviews from guys who actually have and currently use either. If anyone has the new tour v5 is it worth the wait? Thanks for your help

save your money and get a Precision Pro. Works just as good and half the price with some sales going on

Whever my old Bushnell bites the dust, I will go Precision Pro. Much cheaper and still packed with great features.

I know its not what you asked, but I'll jump in on the Precision Pro too, great rangefinders!

save your money and get a Precision Pro. Works just as good and half the price with some sales going on

And of course batteries for life.

Ha, sounds like precision pro is a good dea! One thing I really like is the red display and I don’t think the precision pro has that? I guess either does the tour v5

Is this the one you guys are talking about? If so, that’s a heck of a deal

I use the NX9 version of that, which adds a magnet and stuff.
If you don’t need slope, that NX7 is one of the best deals in golf, considering batteries for life and their customer service.

Precision Pro has intrigued me - they're very well liked here. I do have the Nikon Pro Stabilized and absolutely love it, though. The stabilization feature is pretty amazing, so to me that makes it stand above the rest.

I preordered an nx9. They are changing something to do with magnet. Shipping on the nx9 has been pushed to July. They will and did send me the nx7 pro and will exchange it for my nx9 when they are available.

Go for the NX9 it's awesome. Feels good easy access magnet best deal on internet

People can call me cheap, and that's ok. I have no problem being called cheap. Thing is, I know how hard I worked to make my money mean something.

I purchased a no whistle, and bells Bushnell 400 yards range finder. The one I purchased was designed for hunters, and not golf specific. How many golfers need a 400 yard max range finder?

I use it to scope out shots in the 120 yard, or lower range. Other times I might need to know the carry yardages to miss a hazard. I probably use it more during practice sessions (90% of the time) than I do when playing.. Another fact is I am not that precise with my club yardages. If my RF says I need 110 yards, I will probably hit the ball some where in the 100-120 yard range. Exactly 110 yards is not in my swing..

It cost me right at $79 at Bass Pro Shops. I've been using it since 2007. It's still just as accurate now as it was 13 years ago. Obviously it would probably cost more now.

My point is, a person would be just as well off purchasing a "Plain Jane" range finder. Save the extra money to actually buy more green fees with.

Precision Pro has intrigued me - they're very well liked here. I do have the Nikon Pro Stabilized and absolutely love it, though. The stabilization feature is pretty amazing, so to me that makes it stand above the rest.
I went and played around with the Nikon at the shop and really like it, the optics were really good. Leaning hard towards this and it also has a 5 year warranty. The provision pro sounds good as well but with only having the display I think that takes it out of the running for me. Thanks for all the reply’s

My point is, a person would be just as well off purchasing a "Plain Jane" range finder. Save the extra money to actually buy more green fees with.

Some might. Some might not. Pin seeking mode, ability to work in fog, ability to lock on and give a jolt telling you, etc are all features that might just help people.

For you, maybe not.

I use the "Pro" version of that one, which has the "Slope" feature.
How much do you find the slope helps?
I think I would prefer the jolt or buzz technology to make sure I hit the pin and not the background

How much do you find the slope helps?
I think I would prefer the jolt or buzz technology to make sure I hit the pin and not the background
The NX7 Pro has both "jolt" and "slope". I really never thought much about the "jolt", but now that I have it I do really like it. As for "slope", I wouldn't have a rangefinder without it. I play some mountain golf, and lots of courses in the foothills, so I use the slope feature all the time.

Precision Pro NX9 HD!
Never had a range finder before so I can’t compare, but the price was right, the features are great, I use it every shot, I seem to be getting pretty darn accurate readings, I’m happy!

Some might. Some might not. Pin seeking mode, ability to work in fog, ability to lock on and give a jolt telling you, etc are all features that might just help people.

For you, maybe not.

100% agree with this, all the features that @JB listed are high on priority list. I know I could save $$$ and get the ‘plain Jane’ model but I know just know I wouldn’t be happy

100% agree with this, all the features that @JB listed are high on priority list. I know I could save $$$ and get the ‘plain Jane’ model but I know just know I wouldn’t be happy
I’m just curious does the average person need all of that?
Im not calling you average or myself or the next guy, I’m just curious. I’m just wondering if all that stuff is needed?

I’m just curious does the average person need all of that?
Im not calling you average or myself or the next guy, I’m just curious. I’m just wondering if all that stuff is needed?
The pin seeking/jolt is nice, to help confirm that you locked on the flag and not the tree 20 yards behind it. Slope is useful for factoring elevation changes into actual distance (even though my current older model Bushnell rangefinder doesn't have it). I don't know about the fog thing, since we see fog once about every 10 years or so in the desert.

I don't have any experience with the NX7. I have heard nothing but great things though. I just got a Bushnell Pro XE. Accounts for slope and barometric pressure. That's not so much a selling point for me. But, if you get to play hold in the winter when it's a bit colder, I can see how that would help.

One little feature I didn't know about until after I had the unit is that it gives you access to a phone GPS app. It's pretty simple and straightforward. But, it's so much faster finding the course and tracking distance than any dedicated GPS I've owned (lately SX500).

I haven't used the GPS outside if a free holes. But, it was nice to have handy and doesn't seem to burn through my phone battery. Plus, the rangefinder is quick to lock on to targets and has great optics. I've always thought the Leopold had the best optics, but would put this up with any of their models that I've tried.

The price is still though. I wouldn't have spent it. I happened to win the rangefinder in a raffle game, so I'm not out much on it. I was excited to win it though, and I think it's the best rangefinder I've every owned.

Back