Popeye

Reaction score
Handicap
I have come to the truth that I have arrived at a point in my game where I am truly,, a range mat hero. Warming up for a round, playing in a simulator or playing on absolutely perfect turf conditions i stripe the ball with the best of them. Swing looks amazing. Contact is crisp and pure. Distance is very consistent. Then when I get in my normal sketchy course conditions i struggle to get cleanly through the ball. I'm a digger and i may release too early, hit a half wedge fat as hell and generally be all over the place.
I can go very low at times but I also can blow up in epic ways because the poor contact gets in my head. I try to make ball first contact as much as possible. Try to not release my hands too early... but at local munis my fatal flaw is dealing with thin lies and varying turf. It may snowball for a few holes and I can pull myself out of it but it's always after the damage is done.
Am I alone in my prison of mediocrity? Has anyone broken through with a drill or thought process?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Are you playing for targets at the range? Going through your normal routine for each shot?

Curious.

And I see you’re a 2. Something tells me this is all upstairs.

Drop a little 4" x 4" piece of mat and put your ball on it? (Disclaimer: May not be totally kosher handicap-wise.)

It cant be that bad if you're playing to a 2 handicap.

Like you, I can go to the range and stripe a large bucket of balls. Then I get to the course and it seems I can't hit my backside with both hands. Been struggling with this for about 2 months. A couple days ago, went out to play 18 and the first 9 it was the same poor contact that has been so frustrating. So, fed up with all of this, I decided to think about nothing except the target and forget about mechanics and contact. Lo and behold, the first shot I tried was a 3 iron from 230 yards. It flew straight at the flag and landed about 10 feet past it! It was like "Eureka, what was that"? Proceeded to totally concentrate on targets and everything flew pretty much right where I aimed. The swing felt amazing and the follow thru just happened naturally. I think the mind has it's way of figuring out what works if you get out of it's way.

I'm convinced that range mats are a waste of time to really learn how to hit irons, they're fine for fundamental swing work but eventually a player is going to need serious practice on the turf with irons to learn, and unless you have that practice in and know the feels you won't go from range mat to grass and have much success.

Are you playing for targets at the range? Going through your normal routine for each shot?

Curious.
And I see you’re a 2. Something tells me this is all upstairs.
I will play to targets, simulate a pressure moment, try and work a shot and it all works.

And yes I do suffer from squirrels in the attic. I know that because when I turn it around it's a dramatic difference.

Like you, I can go to the range and stripe a large bucket of balls. Then I get to the course and it seems I can't hit my backside with both hands. Been struggling with this for about 2 months. A couple days ago, went out to play 18 and the first 9 it was the same poor contact that has been so frustrating. So, fed up with all of this, I decided to think about nothing except the target and forget about mechanics and contact. Lo and behold, the first shot I tried was a 3 iron from 230 yards. It flew straight at the flag and landed about 10 feet past it! It was like "Eureka, what was that"? Proceeded to totally concentrate on targets and everything flew pretty much right where I aimed. The swing felt amazing and the follow thru just happened naturally. I think the mind has it's way of figuring out what works if you get out of it's way.

Too often people forget that the goal of golf IS the target NOT the ball. Not to go full blown Shawn Clement, here, but when you default to the ball, bad things happen.

I will play to targets, simulate a pressure moment, try and work a shot and it all works.

And yes I do suffer from squirrels in the attic. I know that because when I turn it around it's a dramatic difference.

How about pre shot routine? Same or different?

I'm convinced that range mats are a waste of time to really learn how to hit irons, they're fine for fundamental swing work but eventually a player is going to need serious practice on the turf with irons to learn, and unless you have that practice in and know the feels you won't go from range mat to grass and have much success.
Problem is a lack of any grass turf tee boxes at the ranges. What grass ranges we have are like concrete.

How about pre shot routine? Same or different?
I really try to groove a pre shot routine when I practice. Keep my head from dropping back which creates a sway. Hold my lag and really compress the ball.... I have all the shots and know how to correct them when they go bad but when it starts it can be a few hole meltdown.

Too often people forget that the goal of golf IS the target NOT the ball. Not to go full blown Shawn Clement, here, but when you default to the ball, bad things happen.
If I try to break down when it goes bad I do become ball orientated. My 'miss' is a fat wedge shot that can get some bad swings or thoughts going. I'll have to try and maintain the target mentality.

Oh Ranger Rick is for real for a lot of us. I think i am undefeated in matches held on the range.

If I try to break down when it goes bad I do become ball orientated. My 'miss' is a fat wedge shot that can get some bad swings or thoughts going. I'll have to try and maintain the target mentality.

Well you’re obviously a really good golfer. You try reading any Rotella books?

Well you’re obviously a really good golfer. You try reading any Rotella books?
I have read one of his books. I forget the title but it was mostly about closing out a round. Staying in the moment and not being afraid to succeed. It was a great read.

I have read one of his books. I forget the title but it was mostly about closing out a round. Staying in the moment and not being afraid to succeed. It was a great read.

He has several. Perhaps revisit that option. Changed my outlook but I’m in a different category. I’m terrible for playing golf swing. Now I focus on my routine and accept the results knowing that I stayed focused. It is what it is.

Back