Range Session from Heck

V14_Heels

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm getting alot better, to the point where I can just feel like breaking 80 is in reach on my local course, but it certainly is not on the back of my Iron play. My irons are just something I can't freaking figure out, so it's not crazy for me to have an off session with irons.

3 days ago I did my typical 1.5 hour range session where roughly 45 minutes of it is chipping and pitching inside 40 yards, and it went as well as it usually does. I then go to the range to hit irons and it was like I had never hit a golf ball before. It was one of the most frustrating experiences I've had golfing. I'm talking every single shot was a shank off of the hosel or full bore top. It was absolutely unplayable. I still have no clue what I was doing wrong.

Headed into league 3 days later I almost didn't go. I was just convinced i was going to have to get some form of lesson before I could even step back out on the golf course. I decided to go and shot an 82 which is one stroke away from my Personal Best.

I don't understand golf, but I'm just curious if anyone else has had an experience like this, I wish I could describe how bad it was. I have plenty of range sessions that are just "off" but this one was like I had never in my life played golf before and it startled me.

I can relate to your experience. My driver has been so inconsistent that I've resorted to teeing off with an iron. In my case, my iron play has been outstanding, but my tee shots with the driver have been embarrassing. What to do? Suggest you go get a lesson, preferably with an instructor with Trackman. I finally did just that and it was eye opening. He made a few simple adjustments and I was hitting beautiful high draws. The data from Trackman will clearly show where the problem lies, and the video will make it clear to you. Good luck with your progress.

Yes, I've had a similar experience not on the range but on the course. Played 18 with a friend a year ago and it was like I had never picked up a club before. Two way miss, fat shots, no distance control you name it. Three days later, went out again afraid what might happen thinking I had been cursed by the golf gods but everything was normal again. Weirdest thing I've encountered in the last few years.

It's probably just something you were doing at setup. I wouldn't think too much about it. I struggle with irons at the range anyway since the ground is often uneven and really tight lies.

I've been playing for 12 years or so. I learned very early on not to get excited by a good range session or even a good round. But I'm still trying to apply that logic to a poor practice even though I experience it every week.

There are just so many things that can screw up an otherwise useful swing. Just in a single practice session I experience what you've described. Go from results as though I've never touched a club before, to hitting 10-20 shots in a row where contact, ball flight, and starting line were consistent enough make me question why I'm a high capper. This without ever consciously changing anything.

Last edited:
I'm getting alot better, to the point where I can just feel like breaking 80 is in reach on my local course, but it certainly is not on the back of my Iron play. My irons are just something I can't freaking figure out, so it's not crazy for me to have an off session with irons.

3 days ago I did my typical 1.5 hour range session where roughly 45 minutes of it is chipping and pitching inside 40 yards, and it went as well as it usually does. I then go to the range to hit irons and it was like I had never hit a golf ball before. It was one of the most frustrating experiences I've had golfing. I'm talking every single shot was a shank off of the hosel or full bore top. It was absolutely unplayable. I still have no clue what I was doing wrong.

Headed into league 3 days later I almost didn't go. I was just convinced i was going to have to get some form of lesson before I could even step back out on the golf course. I decided to go and shot an 82 which is one stroke away from my Personal Best.

I don't understand golf, but I'm just curious if anyone else has had an experience like this, I wish I could describe how bad it was. I have plenty of range sessions that are just "off" but this one was like I had never in my life played golf before and it startled me.
Been there done that. Bad practice one day. Great round the next. I just chalk it up as another part of golf.

My problem when my swing takes a vacation is usually do to fatigue. Once I start getting tired, my swing tempo, balance, and timing suffer.

I'm in the middle of a lack of stamina issue right now. I have to pace myself when playing, or practicing.

That's just called "golf".

I've had pre-round warmup sessions on the range where I couldn't do anything but shank my irons, low nasty hosel rockets to the right. Eff around with my stance, grip, alignment and try to fix my swing, same results. Then go out on the course and strike my irons great all round. Golf is a crazy game. Look at the pros, who can shoot a 63 one day, then turn around the next day and card a 71 or 72 - or win a tournament one week, then miss the cut the following week.

Back