Afizzle2100

Proud 2021 Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I played ironwood golf club in fishers, in a couple of days ago and my friend. He snapped a lil video of me and I thought I’d share for some advice. This was our 14th hole of the day my favorite hole on the course. 425 par 4 with water on the entire left side. it’s about a 275 carry on the aggressive line towards the hole. Normally I can carry it every so narrowly, but this one came about 10 yards short.

I’ve been making some changes to my swing that’s drastically improved my iron and wedge swings (keeping my right elbow pointing to the ground on the backswing, and changing my grip to be more correctly aligned).

This has destroyed my driver swing which used to be a power draw finishing around 300 to a massive slice finishing about 280. When I struggle with driver I tend to not finish my swing and then my hands are too far behind. I’ve also started using too much of my arms during my driver swing. I’m trying to fix this, but am looking for some other glaring mistakes. Looking for some simple tips that I can work on the range to help get my ball flight back to what it used to be.

I’m a big boy so feel free to say whatever you feel, just don’t roast me too hard 😂

If you can see the clubface near impact in the snapped pic, it is coming outside-in, and the heel is aimed at the ball. If you watch the ball leave the face, it starts to the left, so the OTT means the clubface is more "glancing" across the ball from outside-in. Thus there's OTT going on. Plus, not a lot of lower body work....appears all upper body, and you early extend at impact, like many others. You obviously generate plenty of clubhead speed, it's just not focused on square impact, at least on the driver. This is a very common issue with tons of golfers. At least you look like you're having a blast so that's a positive!

Attachments

• 2020-06-27_20-00-25.jpg
    2020-06-27_20-00-25.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 16
Difficult to see what's causing your OTT move without a face-on view but that's the reason why you are releasing the club too early and early-extending (that's the only way you can get the club to the ball ). Although I get the feeling that at the top of the backswing you have too much weight on your left side.

Try focussing on swinging the clubface through to a target and not at the ball (use an intermediate target to begin with).

Difficult to see what's causing your OTT move without a face-on view but that's the reason why you are releasing the club too early and early-extending (that's the only way you can get the club to the ball ). Although I get the feeling that at the top of the backswing you have too much weight on your left side.

Try focussing on swinging the clubface through to a target and not at the ball (use an intermediate target to begin with).
Good post. I also get into the OTT move. Why does OTT cause the club to release early?

I see what you guys are saying and completely agree! I tried standing farther away from the ball too see if it was something I was trying to overcompensate at contact but that wasn’t the case.

When you were talking about weight balance though I noticed that I do place almost all of my force on my left foot at the start of my downswing. I’m going to try and focus on not shifting my weight forward so quickly/dramatically and see if that helps me stay on plane.

I’ll keep yall updated with what I find out.

I see what you guys are saying and completely agree! I tried standing farther away from the ball too see if it was something I was trying to overcompensate at contact but that wasn’t the case.

When you were talking about weight balance though I noticed that I do place almost all of my force on my left foot at the start of my downswing. I’m going to try and focus on not shifting my weight forward so quickly/dramatically and see if that helps me stay on plane.

I’ll keep yall updated with what I find out.
Great! But I would suggest that it's not so much your weight being on the left foot "early" but more a need to focus on the rotation of the arms with your chest on the downswing to keep the handle more in front of your chest. I have run into this problem myself. I turn more upper body and my arms & hands are "back there" while my chest is already at the ball, so I have to early extend or pull away to make room for my arms. Just think about everything moving together from the top down, don't leave your arms behind. You want to get that club handle in front of your chest early in the downswing.

Also keep in mind that there's the stack and tilt option that loads 60-65% of the weight on the left side at address to make the transfer of the other 35-40% much easier. It eliminates trying to make too many weight shift moves. I see many pros who employ this method for efficiency. Just a thought.

Good post. I also get into the OTT move. Why does OTT cause the club to release early?

See Monte Scheinblum's video below for reasons golfers do early extension (not a swing fault but a necessity to get the club on the ball).

The reason why the club has to release early is that early extension prevents your right shoulder from moving downplane closer to the ball so unless you start straightening your trail elbow and wrist (ie. cast) you will 'run out of right arm' (ie. if you kept your trail elbow bent and wrist dorsiflexed , you'd probably top or whiff the ball).

See Monte Scheinblum's video below for reasons golfers do early extension (not a swing fault but a necessity to get the club on the ball).

The reason why the club has to release early is that early extension prevents your right shoulder from moving downplane closer to the ball so unless you start straightening your trail elbow and wrist (ie. cast) you will 'run out of right arm' (ie. if you kept your trail elbow bent and wrist dorsiflexed , you'd probably top or whiff the ball).

Really good post. Thanks!

For me, I tend to sway or drift left at the start of the downswing. This results in moving the bottom of my swing up to 2 inches to the left. My brain tells me to stop and straighten (stand) to give the club time to reach the ball. If I try to rotate during that process the ball banana slices. For me, the goal is to ensure I don't eff-up the bottom of my swing arc with sliding or swaying, even slightly. That's not a 100% fix to shot par, but I shot 47 on the front yesterday and 39 on the back once I caught myself drifting to the left. And it goes for ALL clubs, even putting.

I played ironwood golf club in fishers, in a couple of days ago and my friend. He snapped a lil video of me and I thought I’d share for some advice. This was our 14th hole of the day my favorite hole on the course. 425 par 4 with water on the entire left side. it’s about a 275 carry on the aggressive line towards the hole. Normally I can carry it every so narrowly, but this one came about 10 yards short.

I’ve been making some changes to my swing that’s drastically improved my iron and wedge swings (keeping my right elbow pointing to the ground on the backswing, and changing my grip to be more correctly aligned).

This has destroyed my driver swing which used to be a power draw finishing around 300 to a massive slice finishing about 280. When I struggle with driver I tend to not finish my swing and then my hands are too far behind. I’ve also started using too much of my arms during my driver swing. I’m trying to fix this, but am looking for some other glaring mistakes. Looking for some simple tips that I can work on the range to help get my ball flight back to what it used to be.

I’m a big boy so feel free to say whatever you feel, just don’t roast me too hard 😂

You've gotta a lot of good stuff happening in this swing. And as the videos from Monty point out, you have to 🐐hump it to make contact. If you didn't, you'd totally miss the ball. I would suggest you get better structure at the top by way of deeper hands (see below), and then work on sequencing your downswing a little better.
  • Your club goes super long at the top, and in order to get the club back in front of you, you're forced to throw it and come OTT.
  • Your hands need to be deeper and further away from your torso at the top, and your wrists dont need to flex that much at all. In fact, they only need to flex as much as you have them when the club is parallel...you should probably feel like they don't flex at all at the top.
  • Once you can get the hands to the top, deeper (straighten your left arm waaaaay more, and feel it stretch across your pecs), then...
  • You can start to use your legs to get into the ground, and feel like your arms are waaaay behind you on the way down and don't do anything at all. They are passive. When you do this, make sure your arm doesn't get stuck behind you.
  • A good feel is trying to get your right shoulder to the ball BEFORE the club. This will force you to rotate around, and if you get into the ground, you will absolutely bomb it.
That's a lot, I know, but give those checkpoints a try.

Back